1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 New Arrival Tric'd Its Way In To Our Garage...

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Ben Mallinson, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Why, do you not think it's stunning @Kingfixer ?

upload_2017-9-28_22-1-48.png

#21 Robarano, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2017
  2. That's interesting @shakeys dad

I initially tried a Pani last year for a couple of days whilst the 1198 was in getting serviced. I seemed to gel with it quite well during them two days and it left a good impression. When I jumped back on the 1198 and rode it home though, I knew that I would never be able to replace the 1198 with one, it would have to play 'stable mate' with it.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the 1199 properly :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Absolutely gorgeous!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I do really enjoy the panigale and plan on keeping it a long time, but the 1198 feels like a 'proper' ducati

5. ...but the Norwegian wood book covering chopping/stacking the Scandinavian way. Lars Mytting' would be quite upset with you're almost lackadaisical way you've thrown that wood into a stack! :scream:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Congratulations!!! The tricolore scheme is definitely the best! I'll definitely be doing my 899 this way. Happy riding!!!

7. Strangely I had an MTS1200S that shat itself also.

My 1199 fully service, over serviced in fact on a run out started displaying temp high on the dash, then it would go back down... and so on, the bike was running fine so I carried on assuming it might be the thermostat.

Pulled up shortly afterwards for fuel, as fast as I was filling the tank coolant and oil was pouring out onto the forecourt!

Long story short, full engine strip new cases and bearings needed.

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Yes I noticed that too tut tut :)

9. That Tri colour scheme just works fantastic on the Pani.
    Some schemes work on some bikes, this is a perfect example of that !

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. For me the difference between my new 1299S and my old 1198 is that:-
    1. I can tone down the madness on the pani. It will do 30mph fine without feeling lumpy or straining at the leash. It'll even do 20mph. The 1198 wanted to do 160 all the time. Fine on open roads but a pain in the ass going thru small french villages.
    2. The pani doesnt want to point its nose skywards at every opportunity and thus doesn't need me to ride my clutch so much. Esp during take off.
    3. The 1198 felt like it had its torque lower down where i could use it easier. It felt like a wider band too
    4. The seat on 1198 is much comfier
    5. The pani is less of a stretch
    6. I can dial engine braking on/off on 1299. Which is nice. On 1198 I had a slipper and no real engine braking which made me quick mid corner as I seemed to carry more speed. I have a choice now. When moseying in alps I can dial engine braking back up and just blat between the hairpins using the EBC to do braking for me for a more relaxed ride point and squirt like. When I want to have some, i dial it out and go back to carrying corner speed.
    7. The 1198 would leap out of a corner and if behind an il4, i'd be munching its rear wheel. If it was behind me, he had no chance. Byeeee HP4
    8. The Pani is flightier and easier to shift. The 1198 needed a good wrestling and hated slow hairpins, but 150mph sweepers is where it belonged. It made you giggle.
    9. The pani likes tighter corners as long as you hang off and move around the bike more. The 1198 liked me more central with a smooth style. The pani rewards aggression.
    All pani based upon road mode. Race mode is outright fucking lunacy and reserved for the track before i kill myself. It is however bloody good fun.

All in all, I am warming to the pani now ive fixed the heat issue, the seat, the bar vibes and screen. But the QS is bad as I find myself nailing every Mway entrance if way is clear and entering it at 150+ just coz its so addictive. Its more of a hoon but a hoon that i can ride sensibly when i need to. The 1198 never wanted to do sensible. It was like a recalcitrant delinquent on community service when riding normally. It loved the wide open roads. The pani is okay on b roads too.

I still miss my 1198. I'd vote it as probably the best ducati ever as it was such a hoot. If I'd been 10-15yrs younger, I'd still have it. But I needed to ride sometimes at normal speeds. I can do this on the pani. The pani gives you a choice.

• Like Like x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. The 1198 sounds like that mate, the mate we all have, where "a quiet couple of beers" never happens. The one where the wife gives you the look when you mention his name and puts a sleeping bag on the sofa and tells you not to come to bed under any circumstances. And "you better be home before the milkman". Always hated that bloody milk man. Love the mate though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. best colour for a Pani for sure, she looks great!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Nice summary of your experience and feelings there @bootsam... Think I have definitely made the right decision keeping the 1198 with them being so different.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'd have kept it if i didn't need the dough to pay for some of the 1299S. Oh and had room for another bike. Ive already a 916 too. Plus it was at 20K miles, the 70mm system would burnt a hole in my right calf so I had to slip a sheet of heat guard in a surgical sock and wear it at all times on bike. CJS got it to do 170rwbhp & 97.2rwft/lbs. Im pining for her...sob...I'm sorry baby, I didn't meant to leave you. There was an earthquake, a flood, a friend came in from outta town...boohoohoo...

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  16. I telt you :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I hate selling bikes. Its like being dumped. I imagine. (cough). Don't think I'll ever get over the 1198 and my old Lambretta. Wistful sigh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. You can always have another one when circumstance change and you have apace for one again though fella...

In the kindest way possible, listening to the woes of those who moved on from an 1198 makes me sure I've done the right thing ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. I have a dream....to never sell another motorcycle. I wish I still had everyone I've ever owned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information