1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 New Belts

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by postmaster, Jan 18, 2018.

1. So I fitted new belts today, is it really necessary to re check tension after a few miles.
    If so how many miles do you think?
    The reason I ask is cos if you take a bike to a dealers for service they dont say bring it back in a few miles so we can check the tension, you just ride it for 2 years.

2. They would be checked for tension at the 12 month service I would imagine.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. been doing belts on my old 999s, streetfighter and when I had the 916 for years, fit them run the bike before reassembly and recheck, then I check them the following year before changing after 2 years, theres very little in them after first year, That's just what I do, don't know about others??, if you was to fit them in summer ide give them a quick check in winter, which belts did you fit? ive found the exact fit belts stretch/ wear that little bit less than OE belts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. I wouldn't dare fit anything other than @Exige s finest

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Why? Is he bullying you? :mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Bully :eek:

7. Well he might---------- and he knows where I live

8. I've a question... why are Scrambler belts 60 months and 999 24 months? It's not a 2v thing as my SS's are 24 months too...

9. I was told the important thing was after setting the tension make sure you do a fair few rotations and re-check the tension to make sure they are square on the pullys.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Whatever you do, don't re-tension them to the original fitting tension, which allows for initial stretch. In-service tension is iirc, 90 Hz as opposed to 100Hz fitting tension for ExactFit belts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. A cynic would say marketing but I couldn't possibly comment... ;)

12. Go on... comment! :)

I'd love to be getting 5 years from the belts on my others, but wouldn't chance more than 3 as I do now.

13. Belts almost never break on their own, it's usually something else that causes them to fail such as incorrect fitting or pulley bearings failing.
    If they are really loose, they can jump teeth and the resultant engine failure will snap them.
    Imho, regular inspection is probably more important than changing every two years.
    Having said that, 3 years is probably not a bad compromise.

Where's my tin hat???

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I was told recently, and don't come crying if you have a belt failure:

Most belt failures are due to people turning the tensioner pully the wrong direction causing the belts to be to close.

Tensioner bearings tend to go due to over tight belts due to them not sitting square on the pullys when first fitted hence the need to rotate a good few times so they are square on.

Belts should be OK for 4 years under normal use/miles.

But that's just what I was told.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. So with my three year cycle I'm not doing so badly then really. That's cool, thanks gents.

16. Unless they snap on 35 months then your a tight arse twat. :p

I'll be running mine 3-4 years from now on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yes.

On the Testastretta 999 motor, it's easy to turn the tensioner the wrong way, which not only places the belt runs too close together, it also means the proper tension cannot be applied, so the belts will be loose as well - double whammy...

Also, there is a 'top-hat' spacer under the tensioner pulley and if that is not sitting correctly, the pulley will not be aligned and the belts will shred. The bearing will be placed under extra load as well, so is likely to fail.

Under any of these circumstances, the belts will fail well before 2 years is up...

#18 Old rider, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  18. [pQUOTE="Old rider, post: 1047806, member: 28306"]Belts almost never break on their own, it's usually something else that causes them to fail such as incorrect fitting or pulley bearings failing.
    If they are really loose, they can jump teeth and the resultant engine failure will snap them.
    Imho, regular inspection is probably more important than changing every two years.
    Having said that, 3 years is probably not a bad compromise.

Where's my tin hat???[/QUOTE]

I will probably share that Tin hat
    I believe Diaval and street fighters are 60 month intervals for belts
    3-4 years on others wot hurt as long as you check regularly

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I change mine at three year intervals but check every year at service time.
    They still look like new after three years.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information