1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 New Bike - Panigale R

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Furyous, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Not ridden the 1299 base or S myself. But suspect main differences are suspension feel and the way the 1199 R engine spins up and develops power. One of the guys I know riding a 1299 says the engine breaking of the 1199 catches him out when he is behind me (although it is adjustable in the riding modes).

2. Excellent. Glad it's getting ridden.

3. 15.

Any advances?

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've only ridden the R for 70 miles so far, and it's not likely to see much more use before next Summer.

Immediate impressions on the road are that the R has a firmer and more composed suspension setup. That's a good thing - the 1299 often felt lively and wayward when pushed.

Engine wise, less low down grunt than the 1299. A much more pronounced power surge at c.6/7krpm. Freer revving throughout, and much happier at five figures. That being said, outright power/speed is on par, but it makes for quite a different power profile and character. Much more focused.

I'm sure others can speak from broader and more extensive experience.

5. I found the suspension rock hard, going to soften mine up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ^ agree it is very (too) hard.

But not as hard as the V4.

7. Seems about right to me - then again, I thought that the Honda SP-1 suspension was just about ideal!

8. Been tracking/racing mine since new. Way too soft for me, at the front especially (around 14.5st when kitted up).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Typical Ducati. Front way too soft, rear way too hard. Every bike ever made seems to ship like this : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. So would you say in a quarter mile race it would be a draw? If so, doesn’t that make the 1299 great value for money:)

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  11. No idea! I believe the gearing is different so that may advantage the R in a drag race.

Interesting video here with comparisons of the dyno graphs for the Panigale R, 1299R FE & standard 1299:

Peak power is 181bhp for the 1299 & 185bhp for both of the R models. Both 1299 bikes had a big advantage in the midrange over the 1200cc R. The same dyno had the V4S at 188bhp. That obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but there's not a lot in it between any of them!

12. Owning an R isn't about a drag race. If you want that, buy that Kawasaki monstrosity. It’s about owning the best v twin ever built, both engine and chassis wise, and sold to plebs like us.

#92 bradders, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Hello.
    My 1198SP is sold, and replaced by a Panigale R. Another for the running total I think.
    I don't plan to use it until the weather improves - Next year?
    Tom.

• Like Like x 5
  14. 16 now.
    Did you buy the one in Sale?
    Congratulations

15. Thanks, its a great bike.
    I bought it from a dealer near Burnley.
    I've got some parts to fit during the winter, mainly bike protection, but I'm happy just to look at it until the weather improves.
    It looks and sounds superb.
    Tom.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Got any pics? :splat:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. They all look the same ;) :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. that’s basically how I set my race bike up haha

• Like Like x 2
  19. Yeah but I like a bitch from different angles.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Oh no they don't ;)

8BDE8B4A-7C49-4D70-A9F9-9A8B0C09E46A.png

• Like Like x 14
Do Not Sell My Personal Information