1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 New Bike Purchase Is This Suspicious ?advice Please

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Solstice, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Before my accident, I had a Mitsubishi and the dealer in Cam where I bought it from closed down, so my nearest place was just round the corner from where I had to take the car for servicing (it was new and still under warranty) and I would walk over and have a look while the car was being done. Just looked and no actual experience.

2. A repo where it was just carted away without the owner knowing?

I've still got the red key off my written off Monster. Not important as the bike was just broken but not having the red key does indicate a dodgy past.

A Ducati owned by a broke owner... mmmmm, just what is wanted!!!!

3. Talk to them, let them know why you are worried and get an answer. It could be something as simple as a repo and the price could well reflect that or you could use it as a bargaining tool. I bought my last bike with this dealer and found them to be honest, transparent and really, really easy to deal with, a hell of a lot easier than my local main dealer. I live a long way from them, they picked up my old bike, delivered the new one for free which I could have rejected if I didn't like it, no questions.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chaps, quick update, the young salesman didn’t explain himself very well, they have the key, but the blade has snapped, they are arranging another blank + fob from Ducati, which will be reprogrammed from the red key (which they have), they don’t have service book / manual which they will also obtain from Ducati and will be stamped.
    Had another chance to look round the bike and it’s in great condition (which it should be for 2400 miles), Diavel was collected this morning so I’m bikeless until I can collect the Multi

• Like Like x 16
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Sounds like a decent outcome

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Good stuff. Enjoy the bike, mine was as described and delivery was great, they sent a link so I could watch it on its journey. Just check the oil level, mine was overfilled a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Great result. Enjoy one of the best bikes out there :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I bought my 1260s which only had 1000 miles on it from Completely Motoring, very happy with the bike. Luckily for me the bike was sold by my local Ducati dealer so I was able to check on everything that had been done to the bike.

Turned out it was due a service which the dealer did FOC using Ducati parts. No issue with them at all.

Glad it worked out for you in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OK manual and keys resolved. What's going on with the fuel filler cap/ lock?

10. The new key should open the filler, the issue was the snapped key on the original fob

• Like Like x 2
  11. The red key will open the filler.

12. How on earth can someone snap a key on a Multi?

All very odd. There should be no need to change the fob itself though. the blade is held to the fob with a pin that can be removed and replaced.
    All you literally need is a new blade. No need to reprogram anything or replace anything else.

This video shows how that happens - its taken from a Ducati TI bulletin

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks, hopefully they haven’t seen that, I was hoping to get a new one and blag the old one!

• Like Like x 1
  14. If they did give you a new fob, they would code out the old one, so it would be no use ;)

15. Genuine good luck with this.:worried: From what you had set-out so far, had it been me, I would have told them to return my deposit and keep the bike. Far too many spurious responses to very clear and reasonable questions asked about the bike. The dealership categorically should have gone out of their way to give you confidence that they knew what they were selling you, what they needed to do to get it up to scratch and encourage you to to stay interested.
    They have "failed" in pretty much every respect ...........:scream:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. In fairness, standing around in a car park to discuss / view the bike isn’t ideal, and there were some communication misunderstanding which can happen when e mailing.
    If the bike hadn’t been exactly what I was looking for, low mileage / immaculate / right spec / colour, I might have continued looking elsewhere, but everything else was right, so decided to persevere (and it was relatively local which helped)

• Like Like x 3
  17. They are a stack em high business, and my ‘sales’ experience there was terrible. I couldn’t buy a bike, no matter how hard I tried :rolleyes: but that was their main site. Not heard any horror stories tbh about issues post card or ‘bad’ bikes. :upyeah:

18. It looks like they buy bikes handed back at the end of PCP contracts, they had 3 or 4 other Multis for sale

19. You realise we’re going to need pictures of this motorcycle?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information