1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bike

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by PerryL, Jun 2, 2020.

1. It was dry all the time we spent there, we enjoyed our all too short time there. I did return to Donegal with work for a overnight stay on our way to Cork as the lad with me was too scared to overnight in Londonderry and demanded a safe place to sleep. He was a long week away, he kept thinking he'd get knee capped I suppose.

No amount of input from me would calm his nerves.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. I rated that funny at the thought you overnighted in Donegal Town on your way to Cork. You now know how long that takes don't you. Doesn't look far on the map.

3. I knew alright, it had been previously a long week. My work fellow wasn't at all happy having to work in NI TBF, he wanted when we worked in Dublin and stay there commuting into Belfast on the next days of the job. We compromised on Carrickfergus as a place for a hotel, after Belfast Londonderry. So Belfast leave Midday for Londonderry then drive to Donegal, he's was a nice enough bike to work with but his overriding concern was not getting kneecapped lol.

The company he worked for hadn't much of an idea TBH they'd had us down for Londonderry-Cork-Dublin ferry home all in the same working day. Think total moving time on the last day was 18 hours.

Got stopped by the Garda on route to Dublin, the Garda commandeered the van to get to his colleague up the road ahead who was having issues with travellers.

If I ever find myself with a few spare days I may go back for a mini tour on me Panzer. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. :upyeah:Don't forget West Cork in the tropics :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Depends what your idea of a touring bike is. I've just bought a V4S which is great but not your ideal tourer, obviously. Fortunately I also have a Honda VFR750 which has been outstanding, including for touring, for the last 25 years. But if I could upgrade the VFR it would be for a BMW R1250RS. Worth a look.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Just did. Looks interesting...

7. A friend of mine has the R1200RS and I have ridden a few hundred miles on it. A little lacking in character compared to a Ducati but an amazingly capable bike.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Hi OP, I can only give you my experience but it's pretty close to yours so maybe some nice insight. I own (and have toured on plenty) an 848 Evo - it's been brilliant - but I desperately wanted to go for something just more capable really - better at riding more roads, more of the time. I got hooked on looking at Multis and ended up buying a 1260S Touring last March 2019.

After the running in period for about 3 weeks, I immediately took the bike on a 5000mile tour of Europe - including taking her back to the Ducati factory! I had arranged to meet my wife and her folks (she's Italian) in Sicily, whereby I would ride down to her family home in Rome and her Dad and I would continue to Sicily (he has a BMW RT), while the women travelled separately on planes to meet us. It was a truly great trip. But the defining thing about it was the Ducati - it performed flawlessly no matter what happened:

- There was freak weather and I rode through snowy motorways and icy mountains in France with snow falling - the Multi's Scorpion tyres and softer modes were ideal;
    - there were super long days in the ultra comfy saddle (+500 mile days);
    - there was freezing weather (trip started from London at -3C at 6am!) with the lovely warm grips;
    - there was baking sunshine while I smashed the famous Futa Pass in Italy with the suspension changed 'just so' in Sport mode - one of the most exhilarating rides of my life, I don't think a sport bike would have given as much fun;
    - The panniers & top box gave epic space for a long two+ week trip;
    - All the electronics, bluetooth, etc just helped when needed and gave some fun when wanting to fiddle or change something;
    - No issues at all - a touch up of oil in Rome, a spray of lube for the chain all that was needed. Even the tyres lasted and the rear not too squared off after such a long single trip.

In short, any bike can go touring - but this is one special machine and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's got all the characterful charm of Ducatis we love, but with no noticeable downsides. Riding my 848 Evo to through France, around the Pyrenees and across Spain has been incredible, but to reach the highs the downsides are many. The Multistrada smashes it out the park continually, no matter what the day, road, weather, situation. I say spend the money - you will NOT be disappointed :)

18CDEDCC-F156-467E-AD4F-704F827CE4E4_1_201_a.jpeg

643D5149-5667-4156-B5DC-F3930B5FB37E.jpeg

FA2948D0-1A75-4AAB-8811-27B313BAB1E0_1_201_a.jpeg

12007FF4-9890-4F45-9F19-4A9109ACCBC6.jpeg

D65893C9-16DF-4621-A8E5-E638A39D7E6C.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Your topbox offends me......... but great photos and report. The Multi is on my list (that model) and I guess that you would recommend it? This is for touring, primarily - Italy and the Ducati factory being one destination!

Are those factory-fit panniers?

10. Yep the top box is the one thing that isn't so sexy, but damn if it doesn't swallow a lot of s***! I went to Silverstone for the MotoGP last year and met a mate, we left all our kit in the pannier and top box, swallowed two rider's FULL kit.

Yes it's the factory panniers - they're actually pretty great. Only downside using them on that trip was my Italian father-in-law showing me how great BMWs are by using his central locking panniers on his RT! The Duke's are just key-opening only.

I would definitely recommend it. It's a superb bike and you'd enjoy some great, safe, touring/riding for a long time.

11. Thanks. To be honest, a mate has a BMW with a topbox that takes two helmets. Although I like to take the piss, guess where my helmet goes when we stop at Fowlers!

12. Haha! Yep - useful but they do look terrible (and huge). I actually sneakily fitted some straps for my Kriega US30 tail pack during lockdown so I have a sleeker option for rear luggage when touring now!

13. So, in conclusion (and this is for my benefit, so feel free to get lost!), if money wasn't the overriding issue, most people would go from the Multistrada, over the KTM and Guzzi?

I would think it sensible (as 20 grand could be involved) to test ride all (but, the KTM and Guzzi, especially).

Do people really see Guzzi as an old man's bike?

And, Yes, I have the minor detail of being banned by the DVLA to sort out, first! Plus another minor issue is not being strong enough to walk very far unaided - let alone support a bike on my dodgy leg!

But, since this won't be for about a year - no rush!

14. Personally for me it would be between the Multistrada and the KTM Super Adventure. Both very capable machines for touring on. The Multistrada pips it at the post on the grounds of the more road focussed 17" front wheel and the aesthetics. Though the latest Super Adventure isn't quite as much of a munter as it's forebears...

The Guzzi doesn't quite do it for me I'm afraid. As a relatively leisurely ride, if that's what you're looking for, then I'm sure it would be great.

Last year I did the Ardennes with this forum, the Dolomites and also the Serra da Estrela Natural Park in Portugal. Any of the bikes you mention would be great for long trips, for me the Mutley does it all but with a sporting edge. Like Richie I also have the cavernous top box, initially bought for two up touring, both for extra luggage capacity as well as back support for my then girlfriend who joined me on the Dolomites trip. It does add, now she's buggered off (with a BMW riding knob), a huge capacity for luggage in addition to the panniers when touring solo.

I hope to ride to Corsica and back in September if France has opened up enough and the UK has stopped quarantine on return. This will be a camping tour so the secure extra space that the top case offers will be welcome for my tent, sleeping bag, roll mat and stove.

#54 Bumpkin, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Yeah, I think (at this minute) that the Multistrada looks the best choice. I am just trying to be fair and not diminish the others, so a test ride will be useful. There is about an 8k price difference between the Guzzi and the Ducati.

16. Perry, you should take into account depreciation as well as upfront costs. Which bike will hold its value better? Which will be easier to sell when the time comes?

You could get really anal and look at whole life costs inc fuel, servicing, tyres, insurance etc., but that’s a bit too far for me. Also those types of analysis never factor in the intangibles, eg aesthetics, how does this bike make me feel, riding capabilities, do I want to look at it over a cup of tea in my garage, etc etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  17. The trouble is that any one of the three in my garage would make me happy to sit and look. I don't GAF about depreciation as I am more concerned about my happiness in ownership.

And I am screwing with my head, now! I watched a YouTube video about a Triumph this morning. I can't remember the exact model but I am now off to investigate! It had all the tricks, including fogs, heated handlebars and seat!

• Like Like x 1
  18. !!!! My head is well and truly messed up!
    upload_2020-6-20_13-41-6.png

19. Has anyone had a Tiger? Not the real thing as I do not wish to pry - a Triumph Tiger? Or, has anyone ever had cause to visit the Triumph dealership in Cheltenham?
    upload_2020-6-20_16-26-4.png

20. Not owned one but have ridden maybe 200/300 miles on one. The engine was too smooth for my liking, put me right off. I much prefer the visceral feeling of a Ducati twin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information