1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bike

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by PerryL, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Have been to that dealership, just down the road from the house I'm currently buying (well if fecking covid19 will let me, would have been in by now had it not been for the pandemic). I was comprehensively ignored by the sales staff who just sat around chatting, I was the only potential punter in the building. It was some years ago, I had a VFR and was looking at interest towards the Sprint at the time. Hopefully they're more attentive.

2. More importantly, do they have a coffee shop? Not as though Cheltenham is the arse-end of the World! I know that they do have such a thing as coffee in Cheltenham but, I think, Fowlers in Bristol has the upper hand. They do have coffee and are Triumph dealers - as well as KTM and Moto Guzzi! In fact, they only lack Ducati and Kawasaki out of the big manufacturers!

3. For all of those thrilled by my armchair bike buying deliberations, this is what it boils down to:

Moto Guzzi v85 TT Travel 11,999.00
    Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro 14,305.00
    Ducati Multistrada 1260S 18,895.00
    KTM Super Duke GT 18,947.00

The KTM is even more expensive than the Ducati, so that's the KTM ruled out. The problem with the Ducati is that it is flipping expensive compared to the Triumph and Guzzi.

This is all list prices and I dunno if dealers have much leeway to discount. I would guess not. but I don't know...

Because I am transport challenged at the moment, and this (whatever it is) is a keeper. I am not envisaging travelling around to visit dealers. I would just deal with Fowlers of Bristol for the other makes and Riders for the Ducati.

#63 PerryL, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  4. Ducati Worcester, might be worth playing them off on price against Riders?

5. I so, so, so want to say, "Ducati Worcester - where's that?". I won't though - that would be childish.....

6. Thats a BIG price differential in favour of the Moto Guzzi - is it really a like for like basis ?

7. Thx. I haven't thought seriously about BMW but perhaps I should.

8. As I suspected, the Guzzi is going to be underpowered.

9. You should be able to pick up a 2019 brand new KTM Super Adventure S for a good deal. Has plenty of power (and torque for days), it handles better than most adventure bikes (it's a bit lighter) and is comfortable (ergonomics and seat). Definitely worth test riding.

10. KTM do this regularly and it must kill the residuals for those that only keep their bikes for a year or two. Not sure what effect that would have on PCP on a new model...

11. Now BMW in the frame!
    upload_2020-6-22_13-11-47.png

12. Not sure about PCP. If you change your bikes regularly, yes. If you keep your bike for 5 years/25K miles, it evens out to be not really worse than any other marque. I guess it's because of all the new models they introduce.

• Agree Agree x 1

13. Probably not, you`ll just approach it with a different mindset knowing you cant overtake @ 125 mph, uphill , 2 up and fully loaded . I first got interested in bikes in the 1970s, back then the bike I lusted after was old bevel 900ss. That only had 68 bhp and nobody called it under powered.
    All the bikes on your list will be good but in different ways. You pays your money etc. Enjoy testing them all.

• Like Like x 2
  14. The Guzzi has tubed tyres FFS! That's taking the retro thing a bit far for me. :thinkingface: I guess that the designers where too busy in their critique of the coffee to realise that you can always put a tube in a tubeless rim if you felt it so important. Great thing Italien coffee, but if can f**k your brain up!

So, no shaft drives in contention now. Back to Triumph or Ducati. I think that Triumph do some shaft drives but the gig seems to be that if you want shaft drive then you must desire the heaviest, most bulky, and large bike that we do. So, if you haven't got a great big fat arse now, then get one quick!

I think that the inner tube requirement stems from an off-road thing, in that punctures are easier to fix with a tubed tyre rather than a tubeless - which is rubbish! Maybe it's because you you can blow up the tyre with a child's bicycle pump that you can carry with you!

15. So now down to two:
    Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro 14,305.00
    Ducati Multistrada 1260S 18,895.00

The problem with Ducati is price. It is about 4 and a half grand more that the Triumph. It may well be better, but four and a half frand better?

16. Or, if you really want the Mutley, buy a nearly new used one and let someone else take the depreciation hit? I know the same could be said for the Triumph but if the Ducati is what you want then this might be the way to do this on the budget.

Also be aware that being higher value the new Multistrada will be more expensive to insure. The Jump from my just shy of £15k MV to the £18k+ MTS was quite a bit with my previous, and long time, insurer not offering cover due to the higher than £15k value. This was for non garaged parking though.

17. I've priced the Multistrada 950s, with panniers, at around £12,900. I dunno why I got caught up with the other Multistrada but it's not really comparing like with like! And so, my mind is clear now and I can justify another Ducati!

Only the family to worry about now! I've got an angle, though! When I horrify everybody by saying that I'm going back to horse riding, I can offer to compromise with no mad, dangerous horses, but just a nice, steady and safe, motorbike!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Got the price up to 16k now with some very hard work picking factory accessories!
    upload_2020-6-30_16-40-33.png

19. ... but the topbox does offend me!

20. I'm outraged by it :mad:

Well done on choosing :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information