1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bmw 1000rr

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by JimVee, Nov 13, 2018.

1. I'm envious. The GS is awaiting pickup this week which I'm actually quite excited about!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Having spent all day sat riding one again, I know I will be frustrated at its lack of power at times but it’s easy speed :)

Not sure if brakes are crap or lack of dive makes it feel that way. Once on they are strong, but lack bite.

3. Slap some Z04’s in. Used them for the 1st time in Brno last week...... fucking hell!!

That is all :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Haha Z04 on a GS will be entertaining :)

5. I did notice notice that despite it feeling slow I was actually at a very similar speed around a lot of the twisty sections on the GS to the much more manic and fast feeling XR. I think it's a Tortoise and the Hare situation anyhow. I'll miss the much higher top end of the XR but I'm not looking for a workout so the 130mph top out will be enough if I can comfortably ride for twice the distance without resting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nice bike enjoy...looking forward to place an order myself for a gen2 s1000rr.
    I somehow find the lines/colours of that gixxer more pleasant/relaxing for the eye than the bimmer's abundance of lines/colours..is there something wrong with me?

7. Exactly my thoughts. Easy, comfortable covering of distance that (with some getting used to it) will be scrapingly good fun with panniers on :upyeah:

The difference when you go dynamic/auto for suspension and dynamic riding mode is remarkable tho. And I suspect dynamic-pro will be better too as you can dial down some of the parameters in riding mode

8. Honestly, I had to totally recalibrate my brake brain.... they gripped immediately :astonished:
    Trouble is I really liked them.... kerching :(

9. @J biker what are you running on yours? Seemed to have plenty of grip.. any tips on getting more bite out the front brake?!

10. I’ve just done 200 miles on the beemer round the roads I’m familiar with and I can honestly say it’s the best bike I’ve ridden. It’s not without its faults but which bike is?

It’s going to be a complete weapon once the run in service is done. It just does everything so easy. It’s so smooth and fast it’s unreal. Doesn’t scare you with power like a V4S but it’s no slouch either. Maybe that’ll change after the service though and it kicks on past the magical 9k and shiftcam comes into its own.

I couldn’t fault the V4S or the new RSV4 1100 but I’m glad I’ve went for the Beemer. It won’t be for everyone but I love it already.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Thats awesome to hear. I gave the demo a good thrashing from Alton to Basingstoke several times and I was definitly going faster than anything else I've rode that road on. It didn't feel as fast as the 1199R but I'm fairly sure it was actually faster just because it was so smooth and easy to ride quick. I still think many people who want to feel like they are going fast but are not delving into (double!) licence losing speeds will be underwhelmed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Conti Road Attack 3 best so far. They are superb for grip, lovely turn in, predictable, miles good and excellent in the wet as well.

My previous 2014 GS went well with Pilot Road 4s, but after many rear punctures (narrow sipes always seemed to be the place, maybe thin carcass/sharp stones??) I gave up on them. Could get the pegs down with them, while they held air! Dunlop Roadsmart 2s very good but absolutely had to be up to temperature before they worked properly. Good wear, good grip.
    Weird Annakee things best avoided even if free as they go out of shape fast and slide easily in the wet.

My brakes are super strong, did you buy the 1250? I think that has different callipers (??) that were reported to have less initial bite..if so then different compound pads would probably be the way forward. I did find mine improved with hard use though, so might just need to bed in a bit. They are not in the same league as the S1r, that is a 1 finger pull with huge feel, but the GS is twice the size o_O
    You might have to ask on the dreaded GS forum. Lots of idiots but some people do help!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yep 2019 bike ordered, lowered suspension so suspect my pegs May be down a bit easier... I wonder if the brembo are retro fit’able from the R, I believe the roadlok fits both so Caliper spacing ok, it’s id guess offset and depth of calliper to clear the disc

All the more reason to go back to using no brakes ;)

14. Back to back test. I do wonder how many miles on the 1200 and 1250 though, bikes are always quicker, more economic etc once everything is properly bedded in.
    Never going to match S1r(rr...xr) top end but point them at twisty bumpy back roads and laugh at sportsbikes wondering what just happened. My mate Jay (Fz09) and my GS showed a few on the Giau pass last year. We even set up a photo shoot with our mate who rode up ahead and set up on a corner. He has a photo of the back tyre of the GS :joy: The telelever is the magic up the sleeve, no other bike manages to isolate bumps, maintain stability AND reduce front end dive in to corners the way these do.
    On thread, would probably have an S1rr if I was in to track days.
    Road bike, the GS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Looks like a remap may benefit the 1200

Video says 700 1250 and 3500 1200

#175 bradders, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  16. At such low miles on that 1250 I would expect some improvement on fuel consumption at least. Happy enough with the power on mine but will probably look at the 1250 in a few years time, depending on finances. Or just a low low miles 1200. Not many of the Rallye Sport versions around though and I do like mine.

17. Still pondering what (if anything) to do ref thr RR. I love the drama of my v4s and the BM doesn't have that, but its probably a better bike. Totally torn so just going to keep pondering as would not change regardless until next March.

18. I
    I’ve gone gone for the Ralle TE. Didn’t realise it didn’t have a centre stand.

19. I read on the GS Forum that a few who ordered the lowered GS’s found that when a pillion and/or luggage get added the bike auto raises the suspension thus causing seat height to increase! This apparently can’t be switched off.

20. How does it distinguish between 2up or 1 fat bastid?

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information