1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Brake Levers

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by foz, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Morning all.

Just tried to fit a pair of short brake levers. However, they do not come with the plungers, so how do I remove them from the original levers without destroying them, I have tried brute force but just cannot get them out.

Any ideas?

foz

2. Just looked at my OE Brembo levers and the plunger screws into a small barrel. The plunger is then fixed in that barrel with a roll pin to stop it unscrewing. IMO this not designed to be disassembled. I thought aftermarket levers are supplied with plungers separately, my ASVs and my Renthalls were. Andy

3. I used the oem plungers.

4. [/QUOTE="Old rider, post: 952053, member: 28306"]I used the oem plungers.[/QUOTE IMG_0203.JPG
    If your OE lever looks like this, I'd be interested in how you removed the roll pin securing the plunger. If it doesn't, my Diavel clearly has different OE levers to yours. Andy

#4 Android853sp, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  5. Hmmmm, it should all be documented in a thread somewhere on here but it's 3 years ago now and the dementia is setting in. It was a Brembo lever but non-radial.
    I did have to use the oem plungers but didn't have to adjust them, they worked perfectly with no further adjustment required.
    They are Pazzo copies, so I think I may have used Pazzo instructions. The big problem I had was getting the plungers through the rubber boots on the master cylinder. I split one boot and had to get a replacement from KTM dealer Trevor Pope. For the other lever, I inserted the plunger first with plenty of grease, then attached it to the lever

6. Apparently all i have to do is 'push the bush out' and it will free the plungers, if only i had a hydraulic press!

foz

7. Can you post a picture of your short levers ? Thanks, Andy

8. Knock out the pivot and the two parts of the lever will separate. I used a 7mm deep socket to do this. Once they are apart you can lift out the barrel c/w the plunger.
    Incidentally the plunger is not held in with a roll pin it is a very small allen type grub screw that needs (I think) a 1.7mm allen key to loosen. Once it has been loosened you can adjust the length of the plunger to suit your new levers, if necessary. Be very careful about this as, if the master cylinder piston doesn't come all the way back, you can get the brakes locked on.
    Also be careful to get the plunger properly into the rubber gaiter over the end of master cylinder opening. I found it easiest to fit the plunger through the gaiter then fit the lever on to it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks Derek. Without knowing what short levers the OP tried to fit, I have no idea how much of the plunger subassy he requires. Andy

10. Thanks for the replies. Used threaded bar, a socket and a couple of spacers and wound it out. New levers are a great improvement over OE, as i could not get the reach to the lever where i wanted it, but now, no worries and the brakes are spot on.

foz

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information