1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Chain And Sprockets...

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by LOUDpipes, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Well...new chain & sprockets are now fitted. I went with a 98 link chain and then promptly cut it back down to 96 links after the test fit!

I picked up a DID style riveter that did a fine job ( I hope...) of riveting the chain together.

Not that I'm doubting the quality of my work...but I think it might be a good idea to get a case saver fitted, but I can't seem to find one.
    Steve at BBB fabrications did make them, but the place that used to laser cut them for him went bust and disappeared, along with his drawings...so it seems he's not doing any more for a while.

Does anyone know where I can get a case saver from? Thanks :)

2. Nothing on Ebay?

Update, Ive had a look and cant find any on there....there used to be

3. If you do a search on here for 'case saver' posted by 470four (RIP) you should be able to glean enough info how to make your own. 470four did the original design which Steve @ BBFabrications carried on after poor old 470four passed away.

But note that it is virtually impossible to get a case saver to fit the 750 and 600 SSs.

In fact, even if you could make one fit, there would be no space between the saver and the case, so IMO, the case would still get cracked.

AL

4. I did find that post by 470four(RIP).

I want one for my 900SS so in theory it should fit mine.

I don't have the tools or workshop to create anything like that myself.

I think I'll just take a punt and see if I can order the one I found in the States...it seems they do overseas orders...It will be interesting to see how much the postage is :-(

5. The one I made for my 750ss fitted once I had worked out where to mount it - screw holes not in the same place as the 900.
    I had to use 2mm stainless steel because that was the maximum thickness I could get into the space and I reckon it would do more harm than good if a stone got flicked in there, let alone a broken chain.

6. I got one from Germany.
    Beautifully made.

7. linkety link, there's a good chap :)

8. A case saver must be one of the easiest things to make at home with a little patients.
    2019-04-06 12.38.23.jpg 2019-04-06 12.38.02-1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. Looks good Birdie...now you've made one, you might as well make a few more.

There's probably people on the forum that would buy one from you...like me :)

Looking at your front sprocket. When I swapped mine over recently, it was fitted the other way round (holes facing the engine case) to the way you have yours. So I refitted the new one the same (using a new locking plate). Does it not matter which way around the front sprocket is fitted? I know it's a strange 'floating' arrangement on the Ducati...my other bikes have a huge nut and folding washer to clamp them into place...just checking!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. @Birdie @LOUDpipes is right, you're sprocket's on back to front:eek:. I'd buy a crankcase protector for the 748 as well - just in case :upyeah:

11. Well spotted, it's never been off before, it's the first new chain and sprocket it's had while I've had the bike and i just put it back as it was, a job for this afternoon.
    Steve

12. Hows that, must never rely on other people's work.
    DSC_0002.JPG
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  13. That was quick:upyeah:

14. Much better - chain will be straight now to boot :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. It's a bigger job than you think, slacken the chain, remove rear sprocket to give enough play in the chain to remove the front sprocket and then put it all back.
    Steve

16. In theory, at least according to the workshop manual, you shouldn't even have to remove the rear sprocket, just slacken off the eccentric adjuster to give enough slack in the chain to be able to unhook it from either the front or rear sprockets.

In theory.

Buggered if I could do when I was dissembling mine, ended up having to break the chain - which wasn't that much a hardship as a new chain awaits anyway. The old one was 20 years old and a tad rusty - but very very original:)

17. Not a chance without removing the rear sprocket, luckily I have a Renthal quick release fitted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Interesting:-

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information