1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Chain And Sprockets...

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by LOUDpipes, Nov 30, 2018.

1. DID recommend gear oil

2. Apologies to bring up this old thread.

I need to replace my 14/37 520 DID chain and sprockets as they are worn.

I would like to go heavy duty Tsubaki, as I like this chain on my Honda, keep the lower gearing rather than standard (15/37, 96 link).

When I asked the distributor how many links are needed for a 15/39 setup, they recommended 98.

Now I'm confused. I'd just like some reassurance that 96 links would work.

Thanks

Humbug

3. Get the 98 then if it’s too long remove the excess links

• Like Like x 1
  4. Humbug...I was unsure when doing mine...When looking about to buy, I too was recommended 98 links, but ended up taking it down to 96.

Most people on here said 96 would work...and it did!

I'm presuming you've got the chain tool to do the job? If so, it's pretty simple to pop the extra links off. I'd never changed a chain before so was a bit apprehensive. If you need to shorten it, just grind the head of the rivet off with a Dremmel and use the chain tool to press it out, job done. So you could plump for the longer chain just for piece of mind.

5. Thanks - I don't have the tool, and I'm also living in temporary accommodation with no access to my main toolkit.

I recently did a bike mechanics course, but after breaking two of the cheap chain tools while working on an old (and pretty seized) chain, I don't have the confidence to do it myself.

My intent was to buy the chain and sprockets, and run it over to my mechanic in Park Royal.

6. 96 links was fine on mine...hopefully that should be the case on yours :)

7. Regarding chain tools, it would seem the super cheap ones are pretty easy to break. I went with the 'DID copy' recommendation on here and it was just fine, seems a pretty solid bit of kit...bit fiddly though...but that's probably down to me never having used one before.

8. I think you might be right on the limit to get 15/39 to fit on a 96 link chain. Get a 98.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information