1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 New Front Discs Needed ??

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by PeteKeys, May 18, 2020.

1. Question : on my 1299 I have noticed that the right hand side disc rotor has movement in it whereas the left hand side doesn't. The Right hand brake pads also wear faster than the left too.

bike has 13k miles on it , with about 60 track days - I go through a set of standard pads about every 1500 - 2000 miles

I've looked (wobbled ) at other 1299's and noticed one or two were the same - always on the right hand side.

Given the amount of movement I presume I need new disks??

2. Your right hand disc is quite badly worn where the bobbins sit between the disc rotor and disc carrier. This could be just the carrier which is aluminium but is likely to be the bobbins as well. Your left hand disc looks like it has seized bobbins. As a semi floating disc, you should be able to move the disc rotor a small amount, about 1mm rotationally with a small amount of side play in the spring discs that fix the bobbins in place. If this is still your first set of discs, you are lucky not to have seen this sort of wear sooner. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The movement looks pretty normal to me, maybe slightly lose. The left hand disc should also have some play. Have you ever cleaned the disc bobbins, especially on the left side?

EDIT. See Andy’s post above. A better explanation.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Agree, I think the right hand one looks like it has excessive play to me, bordering on rattling. Do the brake lines both feed to the right caliper first? Have seen issues in the past with calipers working slightly harder on one side than the other although this shouldn't be the case, it only takes a little air in the crossover brake line and the right disc is having to work harder and produce more heat.

5. @Expat Jack I've never cleaned bobbins, and the fact that you can was completely off my radar - but having youtubed how to do it I'll add to my regular maintenance procedures. - thanks for the pointer.

@Android853sp Thanks for your feedback - I guess 50 track days is quite a lot. I measured the rotors and they have only gone down to 4.8mm. How long would you expect a set of disks to last in terms of track days with a pace mid fast group?

PS looking out for new disks now.

#5 PeteKeys, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. @PeteKeys obviously you mean mid fast as in quite far up the fast group!! tbh I'm surprised they have lasted that well for 50 trackdays, it's definitely outside of the realms of what Ducati would design them for I would think. Some others with us at Almeria were moaning about excessive pad wear and issues on the 1299 so I think you must look after yours well on track. My mate had Serie Oro Brembo's on his Daytona at Almeria and just with those his brakes apparently had more instant bite and power than my 675R set up, so as you know 675's well that probably gives you a sense of the improvements just with the discs.

7. They’re a floating disc so some movement is to be expected, however I would say that is excessive in my book.

Strip the calipers, give them a good clean and check the seals (especially the dust seals), we remove them on the race bikes due to drag. clean, rebuild and check the full range of movement. Flush the fluid and bung some new pads and discs in.

brembo hpk discs absolutely transformed my mates braking!

job done.

8. PFM Disks on my rsv4 - absolutely brilliant and once youve bought them replacement parts (and discs are cheap)

https://www.pfmbrakes.com/ducati-1

Personally id say the PFM disc design is far superior...and simpler....as soon as my other bikes need discs....ill be getting PFM for those too...

9. @comfysofa re PFM : dam didn't think of that - already ordered Brembo replacements but I did get a pair for £310

10. @Advikaz : yes thanks - I get through a set of pads every 1,500-200 miles and fully clean the calipers and pistons as much as I can with every pad set change

11. Yeah - gotta say...they`re brilliant....the mechanism to remove the disc is so simple its stupid....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information