1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Multistrada 1200

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Lenny, Oct 16, 2017.

1. I love all forum folk Nige, so don't think I'm leaving you out :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Where in the world are you? I’m in Mexico on holiday so it’s only 6:30pm here just getting ready to go for dinner:)

3. On nights in the New Forest Nige, but cause I work for ExxonMobil, the server comes up as USA flag.;)

PS, have a great holiday :cool:

4. Ahhh! Wilco x

5. Roger and out !!! :cool:

6. I have an R1150GSA which up until a couple of years ago was almost in daily use for 14 years . Last November it broke down and due to personal problems it's still sitting on the ramp.

In April this year I was lucky enough to take delivery of my first brand new bike, a Multistrada 1200 Enduro Touring. A couple of my friends were both on their second 1200 Multistradas by this time and loved them but like a lot of new to the market machines had teething problems which they had worked around.

Both of my bikes are similar in their riding position and all day high mileage ability. The Multistrada is just a couple of decades better.

Modern electronics allow a more tuned and versatile set up for engine and suspension. Whether at rest or on the move it's easy to change modes. Tight twisty sections can be attacked in sport mode and then it's an easy press of a button to add a bit of comfort and relaxation for motorway sections, you get the idea.

Luggage carrying ability was surprising. I took my eldest daughter away for a weekend on the GSA and you could easily feel it's weight. Having just come back from almost the same route with my youngest on the Multistrada the difference was night and day. At no time did the multi feel two up with loaded aluminium panniers and top box. Not quite single rider sport mode but very light and quick.

As I've said to me the Multistrada is lighter more powerful and modern which it clearly should be given the age and cost difference.

The difference which I prefer is no air turbulence from the screen, it's one click down from its maximum and it's a lovely change.

Compared to the new GSA it appears a lot narrower I've not measured it so I can't be sure, it also seems less cluttered.

My problems so far. My visor wipe on my glove catches the main beam flash switch. I also had to buy a 36mm socket to fit the rear axle nut. The locating pins on the offside foot pegs went missing, I don't think they were actually fitted but can't prove it.

All of those are minor compared to the biggest problem and that's the exhaust. Not the pipes or can just the noise, I keep slowing down just to roll on and get the L twin roar it's addictive just as well it's a quick bike or I'd take ages to get anywhere.

I'd put you're concerns to the side and buy what you like. It doesn't matter what make you buy almost all, bikes or cars, run the same risk of getting one that will cause problems. Most of what is on social media are the ones which have problems not the ones that are munching up the miles and smiles.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Here's a simple fix. Take a pair of scissors and a bit of plastic out of your rubbish bin - a used ice cream container would do. Snip the plastic into a shape which fits between the handlebar and the main beam flash switch. It may take two or three goes to get it just right. Then you will find you no longer operate the flasher inadvertently, but you can still use it when you want to. Takes 5 minutes, costs nothing.

8. Hi mate how did you find the Multistrada compared with the mt10?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information