1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New (old) Bike - Warning, Non Ducati Content

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Robarano, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Yeah it's using the oil pump. I half expected it to be using pre-mix when I went to collect it.

2. I don't personally think it's a bad thing as the pumps are reliable and don't usually give problems and if they do a rebuild kit is available.

I also found out that the oil pumps are different between 250 and 350 and there are different types within the range. If you are checking the stroke then find out which pump you have as that will affect the shimming of the pump if you need to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Just blown up the tyres and fired the RD up, now have to wait for smoke to dissipate before I can put her away again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If we are going to start a 2 stroke section this is my other bike...1980 RD400F

fullsizeoutput_3d.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  5. stunning

6. my alloy wheels are at a mates body shop being cleaned up and painted

7. Insured today. £52 for an agreed value :Wideyed: I could get into this classic lark. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Robarano, with the agreed value is it also with a classic policy, if so be careful as they can affect your no claims bonus after two years.

9. It's turning into Yamaforum round here...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. My friend insures all my bikes and he's tagged it onto my Scooter policy as a classic. All of my bikes are on seperate policies except this one. Don't worry, I get well looked after. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. I had one as my first bike.

[​IMG]

12. That was a quick turn around. :)

13. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Now pipe down or I'll start putting pictures of my R1 up! :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ive been looking for an early RD50 for while now as a project but no luck, is that an 80

15. That's actually not mine, I had an '86 RD50MX in the same colours as my first 'ped. I laughed, cried and crashed that thing. Hopped it up with a K&N filter to make it slower than stock and occasionally think about getting one as an ornament. Shan't though.

16. 1st ride on the LC this afternoon. I did about 50 miles going to see a couple of biker friends.

Compared to any of my Ducatis, it doesn't handle, I've had to use more than 2 fingers to brake for the 1st time in years, feels really small, the seat feels like it's coated with Teflon©, no power below 6,000 rpm but........what a hoot :Woot: It sounds glorious when it comes onto the power band, actually quicker than I remember in 2nd and 3rd and feels more than the sum of it's 50BHP.

You can spot an old skool biker a mile off, there were a few looks from middle aged guys in cars and a bus driver nearly snapped his neck as I went past going the other way. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. I uprated the suspension on mine and it does makes a difference. If you are using a totally stock setup then you can gain improvements.

Easiest thing to do first and try is putting some spring spacers in the front forks and then after that going for new fork springs. I have done both and use a YSS rear shock, better spring and damping with a better planted feel at the rear. According to the LC forum Bridgestone tyres are now the best handling tyres for these bikes. I got mine from Germany for quite good money.

The stock spring and damper setup causes spring wind up at high speeds and starts the bike off into a slow tank slapper!

18. Funny you should say that. One of my mates I went to see yesterday said something similar and to "Do the 4 x 10p trick in the front forks", which it seems is literally that, put 4 10p pieces in the top of the forks to stiffen the front up. The 2 LCs he had there dove less when the front was pushed down. He then looked at my forks and they have valves on top them, like the air valve in mountain bike forks, which he hadn't seen before. Maybe it's just a case of adding some air, I'll give it a try. :upyeah: Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it and maybe comparing it to a 1098R with an Ohlins front end complete with 30mm cartridge kit and TTX rear is a bit unfair. :) I like the way it rides, it's part of the charm. :cool:

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 09.56.43.png

• Like Like x 1
  19. Looks like an air valve modification. I had something very similar on a racing TZ250 Yamaha. You can really only safely put a few pounds in the forks or the seals can blow. A better and safer trick is to use the fork spacers, they do make a difference. Alloy ones are quite cheap to buy and could be spun up on a lathe very easily.

Because the fork legs are so small in diameter they tend to twist and dive under braking.

20. Is that why it has a Micron fork brace?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information