1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 New Owner -- Advice , Parts, Owners Experience

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Wasn't sure about the cam cover as looking at it on mobile phone. Dzus fasteners only got changed to large screw type on the "E" model so far as I'm aware which was the last of the 748 range produced. Bought mine in 2002 and still get a buzz every time I ride it even though it is the most basic model. Easily as much fun as any of the others and was an automatic choice when I have been going on two wheel holidays.

2. On of the guys here has the 748 Senna , 916 and 998 ; he says the 748 engine is his favourite, fun , traffic ...

3. Can't quite tell from the pics but does it have 2 mounting holes for the steering damper on the frame? can only see the one, also looks like the narrower headstock of the non-adjustable E model.

Not a problem if so as who adjusts the head angle anyway? and, if anything it should weigh less.:upyeah:

4. thats all the pics LOL

IMG_5731.JPG IMG_5732.JPG IMG_5733.JPG

5. Carlo, as I thought its a MY01 748S, pretty decent nick and mostly unmolested. Looks a peach

6. Thanks Denzel

7. How do I remove the tank , and does anybody know what this red wire is ?

IMG_5773.JPG

8. Remove tank by removing the bolt at the rear, lift the rear slightly then remove the two fuel pipes and electrical connection. The fuel lines should be quick release, don't be rough, there is a metal tab squeeze it in and pull the connector out, then lift the tank and pull backwards slightly, hay presto it's off.
    Steve

9. lovely looking bike, even in red!

10. WP_20160923_07_20_48_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. in the correct colors... Any excuse!

12. :upyeah:I'm surprised they had no noticeable effect, mine was transformed starting wise and idleing was improved also. Maybe my original cables were properly fucked!

13. Havent you got a colour pic?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Thanks Steve

15. Just being inquisitive

What is the Difference between the MY01 and MY02 2002 748s ?

Someone commented the chassis is bronze vs Grey but my MY01 is grey

16. Carlo, the spare wire is probably a feed for an alarm/immob tell tail led, if your bike was fitted with a Meta alarm system that is what it was/is. Most obvious difference between MY01 and MY02 is simply the fairings. On MY 02s the fairings are the same as the base model 998 with different top and side vents and a larger regulator vent on the bottom front, don't believe the claims by some that the engine is uprated in some way, it is the same as the 748E or base model. Also 748E and S of this era were not fitted with oil coolers. The chassis and wheels on all of the 748s for MY01 on were grey. One thing to check (for interest) is the frame assembly date which is stamped on the front face of the cross member just to the rear of the tank which is most likely the oldest traceable part of the bike. That should tie up within 2-3 months with dates moulded, marked or stamped on the panels. You may be surprised at how much older the bike is versus its registration date, 90% of the MY01Ss were built in 2000

17. @chizel wouldnt stray to far from your bike mate!! Looks like little Bosnia there!!

#40 cookster, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information