1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 New Owner -- Advice , Parts, Owners Experience

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Downtown Slough? Herras fencing, lots of wheelie bins and Greek revival porches. Watch out for the man with a brush - he's out to get you or you bike.

Chizel, I am not a fan of altered paint jobs or sticker kits on Ducatis, yours however looks really nice and integrates the screen - first time I have ever seen one that looked right

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks again!

3. The clutch reservoir on mine has a slight rub on front screen , is it fitted correctly?

If you have any pics be great to compare , maybe the bracket just needs fettling

4. You appear to have a different bracket to my 1998 model, DSC_0273.JPG DSC_0272.JPG
    My clutch reservoir has plenty of clearance, the front brake is a bit close though.
    Steve

5. Just had a look on my '98 916 and the support bracket on mine is the same as Birdies, your one however is the same as my 998 which is MY 2002. So you have a later part fitted but I don't think this is the problem. I would first of all slacken the clamp and move the lever along the bar closer to the switch block. If it still fouls the screen then I would suspect a slightly bent fairing support or a bent handle bar. Neither will necessarily be easy to see but as the reservoir is quite close to the screen anyway it does not take much to make it touch.

6. Thanks , was able to move in the Reservoir

7. IMG_2212.PNG Here you go mate. He's advertising his stuff again. :upyeah:

8. if you really want a key guard i think I have a carbon one kicking around that you can have for postage and a pint..

9. WP_20151219_004.jpg

10. Carlo, you have non standard screen bolts which extend far deeper than the original ones (which are brass captive screws of similar but much smaller design), they were probably changed when the screen was replaced, also the Dzus fasteners on the fairing were probably changed at the same time as they are not the original design and colour. The fasteners can discolour and it is common to replace them with alternatives similar to yours. Both your reservoirs and brackets are the originals, you may need to check that the clamp is set correctly, IIRC there is only one place it will go to align with a locating pin

11. Denzil, you are spot on ,was looking at it again today and I had taken it out of the location pin , put it back and it is close to the screen again , it is not the bolts interfering but the faring , will remove it to lean the lights , maybe it is not fitted 100%

I purchased CNC racing Clutch reservoir caps , the Logo is facing completely the wrong way , I tired the same cap on the brembo 15cc reservoir on my mates bike (Aprila) , the logo fits the correct direction , a bit strange

Going to order the smoked Brembo reservoirs

IMG_5793.JPG

12. Did anybody come across the pinch bolts for rear swing arm (rear axel ), cannot see anything on Probolt site

Even if anybody knows the pitch , diameter and length

1.jpg

13. Thanks Steve

14. Carlo, the swing arm eccentric clamp bolts are M12x1.25mm, you will need to measure the bolt shaft length for the actual length. When you tighten them up the torque setting is 31Nm (23 ft lbs) and you do them 1-2-1 from the sprocket side although I always torque them up in stages anyway. The threads should be lightly greased otherwise they can bite on the alloy threads of the swingarm and you will get a false torque setting. Personally I would avoid using alternative bolt materials for safety critical parts (brakes/forks/wheels/swingarm) as the ti ones don't have the same properties as the OEM steel ones. Also some of the bolts supplied by Ducati as replacements are surprisingly inexpensive so it is always worth calling a decent Ducati spares supplier to check prices. Craig Richardson at Moto Rapido is always really helpful and very quick to dispatch the items with most of them arriving next day for me.

For the handlebars
    Handlebar securing screw M6x1 10NM ( • ) GREASE B sequence 1-2-1
    Handlebar clamp screw M6x1 10Nm ( • ) GREASE B sequence 1-2-1
    Clutch master cylinder-to-handlebars retaining M6x1 9Nm Sequence screw 1(UP)-2-1
    Clutch hose fitting M10x1 19Nm
    Clutch transmission unit screw M6x1 9Nm
    Throttle control retaining screw M6x1 10Nm
    Throttle control cover retaining screw M4 x 0.7 1.8Nm
    Nm Tolerances are +/- 10%. • means lightly greased

If you need a full functional pdf factory manual (for the MY02 748) I can put it on a CD and mail it to you (send me a pm), it is worth having as it contains all the thread sizes and torque settings for the fixings (but not lengths). Alternatively post up any torque figures you need and they can be listed as required

15. Really appreciate the detailed post!

Only reason I was thinking of replacing is due to cosmetic reasons ,the OE are showing signs of surface rust , I suppose I can ACF50 them

Craig is fantastic in Moto Rapido , got a few items off him and even residing in Ireland , I get them in 1-2 days!

I got the manuals online for free

16. Does anybody have the torque settings for caliper bolts , (think its 34 nm); and for the centre ring nut in the handle bars

Left the service manual in work :(

I presume clutch and brake hose is 19nm

17. IMG_2248.PNG
    I went for these...
    Can't remember the steering stem nut torque but you have to slacken off by 30 degrees or similar when torqued up.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information