1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 New Owner -- Advice , Parts, Owners Experience

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Was talking to Craig ,

Good question. I don’t think the original type sprocket flange will work in conjunction with the revised spacer.

If we try to buy the older type sprocket flange (on selected parts catalogues only), a kit will be supplied which consists of the new type sprocket flange and revised spacer. Without having looked at this closely, I would suggest that the two parts must be updated in conjunction, so 16020211C will be needed to allow fitment of 71410411A.

I have purchased the Ducabike carrier, I presume it uses the new revised designed spacer or if machine correctly , no spacer at all

Looks like it does !

Note: On some older 748/916/996's you need the rear sprocket spacer
    Ducati pn: 71410411A for this item to work

2. Quick one

How do you guys adjust the rear shock preload ? Looks very tight in there to get a C spanner , nothing in the workshop manual on the procedure

Is it shock out or blunt object in the adjustment rings ?

3. increase or decrease doughnut consumption?

4. Increase :)

Guy before me was 18-19 stone

5. It's basically a a bit of a tricky access job.
    Depends how tight the rings are but it may be easier to remove the shock and loosen them on a bench then put it back on to adjust to the correct sag.

6. Carlo, it takes 5 minutes to take the shock out (two bolts that need a long reach allen wrench in a ratchet drive, 8mm IIRC). If you do it in-situ there is a high probability the c spanner you will slip off and take your knuckles with it, I still have the scars and the frame has paint chips to prove it. It is easier to loosen the rings if you remove the shock and clamp the top part in a vice with soft jaws. The preload needs to wound right off IME

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks!

Will take a look , do you need some sort of lift to take the weight of the bike? or compress the shock to refit?

8. Abba stand or axle stands under the pegs, which, if folding type, need to be turned upside down.

9. Carlo, Abba stand or a pair of axle stands under swapped/reversed footpegs, on mine using an Abba stand the rear wheel drops around 10mm but I put a thin bit of wood under just in case. The shock comes out and goes back in as a fixed length, a slight fiddle to get it clear of the hugger/wheel and suspension rocker but you just need to find the best way out and wiggle it around a bit. You can take the opportunity to give the shock a good clean whilst it is out

10. Do you guys know what C Spanner to use on the oe rear Showa unit?
    Need to buy one

11. Do you guys know what C Spanner to use on the oe rear Showa unit?
    Need to buy one

12. I use an adjustable one. It has a hinge so it fits a number of diameters.

13. Thanks, got a 19-51mm

• Like Like x 1
  14. Carlo, these will work, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-TWIN...446470?hash=item25e0cee946:g:rY8AAOxyPH9RvNCr if you get two you can undo them more easily off the bike. Before they arrive try to spray the rings with a generous dose of WD40 or even better Plus Gas to allow it to penetrate well before you start the work. The rings are easily damaged and if you don't want to scar the teeth too much a little preparation helps

15. Thanks ordered them, will get an ABBA stand too :)

16. The black coating around the Headlights , has flaked in places

Any advice on what product to use to restore the black?

17. I am looking at some Termignoni's , 45mm fit the OE piping
    50mm , 52mm and 54mm worth getting if I can get the link pipes to suit?

I presume the 50+mm need a remap or a Ducati Performance chip?

Anybody recommend where to get some? I am looking at the usual ebay ...

18. There's no benefit having the bigger diameter exhaust on the 748. The 996 uses the same as the 748 without any problems.
    Steve

Do Not Sell My Personal Information