1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 New Owner -- Advice , Parts, Owners Experience

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Neat, neat, neat, as the song goes. Well done on a smart job.

Cheers
    2Twins.

2. I agree regarding the cables but I would also replace that conventional lead acid battery with a Yuasa AGM type battery as it requires zero maintenance and will give you a lot more oomph for starting.
    I did both these things and my 999 was transformed from a slow and reluctant starter that always threatened to leave me stranded somewhere to an eager instantaneous starter which gives me total confidence whenever I press the button.

3. An Oberon slave is intended to give you a lighter pull on the lever.
    To do this it uses a larger diameter piston, effectively giving you more leverage.
    The downside though is that the piston doesn't move as far for s given pull of the clutch lever. This means the clutch drag you are suffering will be made worse by the Oberon slave, not better!
    New fluid will only improve the situation if you can get all the air bubbles out of it.
    The fluid is incompressible, air bubbles are not, so some of the movement of your clutch lever will be lost in compressing sir bubbles. This is the main cause of clutch drag but not the only one - have you changed your clutch plates recently??

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mines a 999, so not the same battery fitment.
    The battery for my bike goes for about 43 squids from Halfords with a Halfords discount card available to Ducati forum subscribers, so would pay for itself with the one purchase.
    [​IMG]

#125 Old rider, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. Thanks , I have a Halfords card! Will take a look

6. Actually, the same one appears to fit your 748 :)

Yuasa YT12B-BS Powersport Motorcycle Battery
    £67

Trade card:
    £43.99 inc.vat £36.66 ex.vat

Overall rating
    [​IMG]
    4.6 - 26 Reviews / 5

7. Is it possible to get a carbon inset for the arrow lower vent on the side fairings, on my 748 ?
    For example
    [​IMG]

8. I will get out the measuring tape , its only a few mm wider but I think I have room on the tray, smaller in all other dimensions

350 cca, the others have the same CCA , dont see the benefit other than maintenance free

9. Actually, the dimensions are different, so it may not fit - this is the one recommended for the 748E.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yuasa YT12B-BS Powersport Motorcycle Battery
    £67

£43.99 inc.vat £36.66 ex.vat

150x69x130mm for the one fitted to the 999 and the 748E against
    Length 205 mm
    Width 87 mm
    Height inc. terms 162 mm for the big beastie giving 350 CCA

Yes, looks like you're right. Size for size, AGM wins on CCA but the lead/acid in your bike is larger so both are 210 CCA

11. Nice, welcome to the empty wallet club.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Carlo, you have the older, larger style 916 spec 16AH battery fitted, the YT12B-BX AGM (which was fitted as standard from 01 onwards) will work but only if you have the small battery box insert moulding (part number was 829.1.270.1A) to raise it up to match the wiring. Have a look at the photos on the first page of this thread and the parts books for MY00 and MY01 bikes to see the difference. You need an equivalent to a YB16AL-AH for a straight plug and play. The YT designation is used for the Yuasa AGM batteries which are much better but will require the later battery box insert to work.

On that vent you need to keep it clear as it is the airflow vent to cool the regulator/rectifier, the most common break down on the bike is a regulator/rectifier failure due to cable resistance on the yellow wires (dodgy/dirty connectors on the yellow ac wires and heat build up)

#134 Denzil the Ducati, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Thanks Denzil!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rider is not helping!

• Like Like x 1
  15. "On that vent you need to keep it clear as it is the airflow vent to cool the regulator/rectifier, the most common break down on the bike is a regulator/rectifier failure due to cable resistance on the yellow wires (dodgy/dirty connectors on the yellow ac wires and heat build up)"

Aahahahahahaha ...... ! Arriving home one Winter night, turning my 998 off and thinking "'sfunny, there's a light on inside my lower fairing". There wasn't, that effing block connecting in the yellow cables was on fire."

• Like Like x 1
  16. I want to swap out the OE Clutch Pressure plate for a fancy one , do you need a pullers to get the pressure plate bearing to release from the rod (whatever you call it :))

17. No puller needed, it should pull out but a gentle tap should do the trick.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  18. I believe the 996R has a carbon fairing with the intake left unpainted so it's not an insert.

You could fit such a fairing (expensive though) but I think it would be difficult to fit an insert and make it look good. Maybe some carbon wrap?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information