1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 New Owner -- Advice , Parts, Owners Experience

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Jul 29, 2017.

1. I put the plate over a hole in the worktop face up and tapped it down and out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks Steve/Duke/Cream

After installing the new front and rear sprocket with the OE teeth combo, it has transformed the acceleration of the bike ; Front Sprocket had a strange tooth count , my mechanic had never seen before on the 916/998/748 , he looks after 90% of these models in Ireland

Last Nite, Fitted some CNC Racing Preload Adjusters , progrips and Barracuda Bar-ends

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's a 'figure-of-eight' aluminium bracket with (blue) rubber inserts. IIRC it's exactly the same part that holds the cans on to the rear subframe...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks I have some of them!

5. I found some oil on top of the clutch housing , new oil pressure sensor fitted a couple of weeks ago , no sign of a new leak or flicking oil light

Any common items above the clutch housing, can cause a leak?

Whats the sensors at the back of the engine casing near the exhaust ?

6. That sensors the neutral switch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Crankcase breather

8. Thanks , looks like it has some silver tape around the OE pipe , not too sure if it is a bodge fix or like that from factory

replace the pipe ? I just cleaned the bloody thing :p

9. The silver foil is standard fitment, probably a heat shield.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks Steve , is this common in terms of I just need to put up with it or clean out the pipe/replace?

Shes running 15W50 Motul

11. The crankcase breather can seep oil where it connects to the crankcase, then just check the rubber hose for splits.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  12. thanks Steve!

13. Carlo, mine always has oil film around the breather, nothing to worry about

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I cleaned her down with some brake cleaner and took the exhaust off to get it polished

Will remove the breather and give it a clean, before I go at it , top clip looks very odd

Pics of the breather
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Carlo, I usually clean mine off by brushing some Gunk on it with a 1/2" paint brush before a full wash of the bike and hose off the gunk/oil mess. Whilst you have the Gunk and brush to hand you can clean up the mess around the sprocket/side stand and it is also good to get excess chain spatter off the tail piece, undertray, swinging arm, cush drive area and back wheel. Avoid getting it on the chain however as it can affect the o rings. Once you have done that invest in some Wurth dry chain lube so it never gets that messy again.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Thanks Denzil

I was going to give the Breather a clean out while the exhaust is off , not too sure if this needs to be done every so often?

17. Carlo, not sure mine has ever been cleaned out.
    For the battery I use the normal AGM ones but have the later smaller sized battery on mine, not sure what is the right battery code for the larger one, I never paid that much for them and they are available at Halfords on a discount card. I managed 7 years on the last one with intermittent optimate charging through the winter on the bike in an unheated garage and using the bike for 8 months of the year.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information