1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 New Owner -- Advice , Parts, Owners Experience

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Thanks Denzil

I got the Exhaust polished and refitted the weekend :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Looks great Carlo , did he do the cans as well ?

3. I did the cans myself , they just needed a spit and a shine

• Like Like x 1
  4. If anybody has pics of the heatshield , what order the spacers and washers go in , much appreciated :) I forget lol

I am nearly sure it had a spring on there

5. Top polishing... :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Carlo have a look in the parts book (page 82 for the MY01 issue) The polishing is impressive

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The smaller AGM battery will be a fair bit lighter of course :)

8. Rider , what bracket do you use to secure the battery , it is alot smaller

I got it for my Monster M900 97 and gave it back , did not want the hassle of trying to secure it , was tiny in comparsion

9. Hey

Bit of a funny one, I read a few threads on same issues but nobody was any the wiser

I am driving her Daily for 1.5 weeks , last week on the way home she started hesitating , would not go over 3.5/4K rpm
    Taught I was going to be left on the side of the road , then she started running as normal

Today is the 2nd time I drove her since it happened

Bike is cold , new fuel, service is up to date

She starts hesitating at 4k rpm , twist the throttle and she wants to die; periodically she just all of a sudden goes

She does not sound 100%

Intermittently she runs as normal , similar symptoms to last week

As she gets warmer the hesitation goes up the rev band to 5K ; can drop back to 4K

Normally the rpm counter sits rock solid on 1K on idle , but I noticed it ticks back and forth deom 1K to 1.2K on idle during these syptoms

Any idea's?

I read owners changing plugs, oil, fuel filters, cleaning out fuel lines/tank

Tank was POR treated about 1.5 years ago , looks good inside

Any thread I read , seems to point to the ECU

Might ACF50 the electrics , but I only WD40 them to get any moisture out

#169 CarloL, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. I have a 999, which is designed for this smaller size of battery but smaller shouldn’t be a problem, it’s just a matter of packing it out accordingly.
    Polystyrene or polyurethane foam should be fine, as would balsa.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It also makes a hiss sound dead on 4K rpm, bike at idle , not under load

Disappears under 4K and over 4k

12. It also makes a hiss sound dead on 4K rpm, bike at idle , not under load

Disappears under 4K and over 4k

13. Rear disc bolts

Anybody know the length? M8X1.25 in the manual but no lenght

14. Did you sort your other problem? Hesitation over 4000 rpm, if so what was it.
    Steve

15. I did Steve ; I put some injector cleaner in her and did an italian tune up at a track day

She is running sweet ever since , the hiss sound on 4K rpm , slowly disappeared but recently I am starting to hear it creep back in

As far as I know , only thing under pressure is the fuel filter ; will swap it out shortly for a new one

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. would love to know how those pipes got so shiny?

17. Depending how bad yours are , they may need to go to a polishers with the appropriate equipment

Get some White Diamond and a lint free cloth , apply white diamond , leave for 10mins after application , take off with lint free cloth , go again

You will have a good idea if you can do them by hand without killing yourself

If you did get them professionally polished , use white diamond and lint free cloth to seal, protect and clean them

18. I think there about 16mm long Carlo

• Like Like x 1
  19. ok thanks. would a fine grade wire wool like 0000 and some autosol be too abrasive?

20. Thanks Dave

I got the kits for the 748 off a few places before to find out they are the wrong sizes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information