1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 New Satnav

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by rotaxracer, Apr 18, 2020.

1. When I looked at mine, the plug etc was near the fuel pipe assy under the left cover you removed. Post pics. It may be that you’re just not seeing it.

2. Sorry, is that it above and if it is what do I do with it?

3. Yep, that’s it. Unplug it and solder sat nav wires to it. Job done.

4. You’ll need to remove from bike. Strip the black outer case off to expose the two wires and then solder together. Insulate either with shrink fit or self amalgamating tape.

5. If you just put the ‘sealed’ end in hot water it softens and you can pull the wires out ready to solder. Make sure you get the positive and negative right

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks all :upyeah: No such thing as a stupid question but how do you know which is live when both wires look black?

7. Turn bike on and use a Multimeter or 12v bulb and a piece of wire to earth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The lead that comes away from the bike doesn’t show + & -, however the part on the wiring loom does. So plug the lead back in and mark the corresponding cable with piece of tape.

9. Thanks again some very useful stuff - where would we be without this kind of support!!
    Just as aside note, the BMW Navigator 6 I purchased for my BMW is very good, as I wrote earlier. I was thinking I'd have to sell it even though I'd only used it once. It connected directly to the BMW bikes in built housing. I tried to connect to my Zumo 595 but the housing is different. Then a mate said "you've got an old 660 haven't you? I'm sure it'll connect into that". hey presto it does. So I'll wire that into the bike use that and have a new Nav 6, which looking at it looks very similar to the XT.

10. I’ve not read the entire thread, but I fitted a Zumolock yesterday, so don’t have to keep removing it from the bike every time I stop now.

11. Can you post some pics, was thinking of getting a zumolock to fit to mine
    Thanks

12. Here you go, this should give an idea...

018082C3-7551-4010-B455-5FF17902D0FE.jpeg

13. That looks ok

Best get myself one

14. It’s simple, but will keep the nag nice and secure. I looked at the Touratech mount, but it was HUGE!

15. Back from a 3 day trip away, so here are some comments regarding the XT compared to the 590.

I always have mine set to don't auto recalculate, so if I miss a turning or choose a different road I still see the intended route.

On the 590 it was simple to tell it to recalculate. Not so easy on the XT. The fewest button presses I could find was to avoid the next 0.5 miles, causing a recalculate.

The skip way point on the main screen is great for doing just that (it's only shown if you have waypoints on your route).

Resetting the fuel gauge is not straight forward, and it didn't auto detect I had stopped at a fuel station.

If you select one overlay, you have to cancel it to select another, and then reselected it again. On the 590 you could stack them, so cancelling the 2nd one went back to the 1st.

I couldn't see any scale on the map when it's set to auto zoom.

When playing music from the XT, the next track pops up at the bottom of the screen, which is handy.

When a text or message is received you get a pop up overlay on the right to be able to see / play it. Once that was closed though I couldn't find any way to get back to the received message.
    Interestingly, it allowed me to replay a video clip a mate messaged me, which was interesting whilst riding o_O:yum:blush:

Over all I was really pleased with it, just need to get to grips with the above. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. I’m considering moving from my TomTom rider to the XT, how do you get a route from say......myrouteapp to the unit??

save the computer, transfer to memory card, insert memory card into satnav & upload ?? If so that’s a lot a faff

17. As MRA is cloud based any route you create on your PC is also available on your phone. Save the route on your phone, find the saved GPX file (this is the hardest bit). Share the route and select Garmin Drive as the target. It's that easy, if your XT is turned off it'll load the route the next time it's powered up and connects to your phone. Transfer is via Bluetooth, no cables or removing SD cards required.

The above is for Android, though I imagine it's near as makes no difference on a Crapple.

MRA and the XT are a great match. The new upcoming revisions to MRA sound like they'll cement than relationship with better way-point/shaping-point definition. My only major Basecamp/MRA regret. Will have to wait and see how effective these are once they're released.

18. What bumpkin suggests... but additionally:
    If you've been planning a route on your desktop/laptop in MRA. Download the track from MRA and upload it straight into explore.garmin.com. It'll then download to your nav the next time you switch it on. No need to ever faff with cables when you have an XT.

This process is described here:

Although I will say that I have more success finding the route in Trip Planner rather than the Discover section at the last step.

19. Thanks for your reply, yes I use an iPhone but you can’t save files onto the phone you can only view the route from the MRA app.

I’ll probably get hate for this but.......with a TomTom it’s much quicker & easier, I can transfer a MRA route in one button click from MRA online to device

Do Not Sell My Personal Information