1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 New Satnav

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by rotaxracer, Apr 18, 2020.

1. I was out today, bright sunlight and screen was very readable from all angles, as good as the 1260 Mutley dash or better. I do have a matt screen protector fitted. Very happy with that aspect amongst others.

2. I wish! I doubt I could see mine if I put a matt screen cover on it, the reason I am getting an xt is because I struggle to see what is on the screen. It’s quite old now but it’s never been bright.

3. Try multi focal contact lenses. I now only were spectacles very reluctantly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. One of the benefits of the XT is that it's far more readable for me. Combination of a brighter screen and also the better layout. No vision correction required for me when riding, for the time being at least.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Has anyone seen any offers on these, £387 seems to be the going rate at the moment. Might wait until Black Friday to see if there are any deals as I'm not going far this year!

6. SportsBikeShop and Helmet City had them for £343.99 (SBS was a pricematch and where I get mine). Though I note that Helmet City have now reduced their lock-down discount to 10%, not 20% as it was when I bought mine.

7. But none currently have it in stock! Early July - expecting delivery from distributor But lots of back orders.

8. This new GPS is news to me! Can anyone who has one explain the mount a bit more for me?

Years back (before the 660), you used to have a power cable, and then the mount. You'd them plug the power cable into the mount and then the nav. This meant that, if you had 2 bikes, you could transfer the mount between bikes (if for example you had a RAM mount on both), and you'd just need a discreet power cable on each bike.

Is this XT mount/power cable working in this way? I do have 2 bikes so I'd love to go back to that way of doing things.

Also, the 595 I have now, doesn't have a simple "reverse route" option. Does the XT? I'm baffled how the 595 doesn't. The 660 did.

9. The mount and cable is usually mounted to the bike permanently though I suppose if you used RAM gear and made a plug-in adapter for the accessory on your Mutley you'd only need another RAM ball on the 2nd bike. That's assuming that the 2nd bike had an accessory socket too... You'd need to coil the excess lead, or shorten it, as there's the in-line transformer that needs to be retained.

You can buy replacement mount and lead, not cheap though. You'd also need the RAM bits or another mount. Though I guess that you'd be using the same mount as you used for your 595 so would have the RAM kit that comes in the box to use.

I've just checked, there's no reverse route option. Never bothered with that TBH, always the risk of a dual carriageway or one way system cock-up. Dragging the waypoints/nodes around in the planner is always an option if there aren't too many of them I suppose.

10. Thanks @Bumpkin , that's really helped. Shame about the reverse thing.

Ideally, I'd buy an extra mount/power cable. I'd have the "properly" wired in solution with the Mutley, but then on my other bike (where I don't want to keep a mount), do a cable split somewhere along the power cable on the second mount/cable and put some waterproof connectors on. I reckon this might be feasible now that Garmin are back to a simple power cable rather than the massive loom you get with the old 595 etc.

I've not seen anyone brave enough to slice open the new power cable yet, but it does look very much like it's just the simple 2 wire black/red all the way along (albeit with the transformer at one end).

11. Yes, just two connectors on the mount, +/- so guess that there are only two wires on both sides of the transformer lump.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hi Steve,
    Great write up , thanks for taking the time.

Hi All, Isn't it about time that Garmin did a trade in so that we felt better about updating these things as they are improved? I found the 590 to be much better than the 595 with which I am quite disappointed; especially the battery life.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I doubt its a 'transformer', more likely to be a SMPSU. The connector at the mount end only has 2 pins visible, so it almost certainly only has 2 wires on that side, but I would expect they have regulated the voltage down to 5V.
    If you chop the lump off the lead and connect directly to the wiring on the mount side I would expect your new XT to become an expensive paperweight quite quickly. It may be they have protected against over-voltage, but I wouldn't bank on it, and wouldn't expect it to work correctly either if connected like this.

You may be able to find the hidden config menu, and display what the incoming voltage is, like you can on older devices.

14. Being careless cutting cable ties, I can tell you, the negative feed is actually a screen through which the positive feed runs. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have now fitted mine, I used the Base plate mount I made for the 660 and it was a straight swap out and fits nicely behind the DP Carbon shorty screen. All I did was to remove the connector from the old loom and solder it to the new one. There is a lot of xcess cable but that is stowed out of the way under the left hand fairing. Cable is thinner on the old loom so the new one is much neater instal.
    The XT is, as others have said, a massive upgrade from the 660 and for me very worthwhile. Not only has it got greater functionality it has improved the quality of the scarla intercom particularly interbike. The only thing I don’t like is the relative lack of positivity when fitting the unit to the cradle. The old 660 unit “clicked” nicely when fitted and you could simply check it was fitted correctly as the top part of the cradle was flush. The xt set up is different as it does not have the removal lever on the left but the top so not able to check it is fitted correctly in the same way. It is very secure once in place though. Overall I am Very happy I switched.

#116 firecat0_0, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  16. I've now found some additional features in the XT's menus for the trip planner that now makes the complete replacement of Basecamp with MyRouteApp a welcome reality.

Will share this information when I have the time to write it up properly but it's the ability to change shaping-points (MRA creates way-points for start and finish but all points between are just shaping-points). Additionally, and finally, the XT supports the ability to add delays to way-points, as you can in Basecamp, to factor these into the ETA. So a stop for lunch for an hour and a half shifts the ETA for later way-points back by the same amount. This didn't port across from Basecamp for my Zumo 590.

• Like Like x 2
  17. excellent. if possible, could you also make a video demonstrating all of these features?

• Like Like x 1
  18. I was thinking of doing that though my upload speed here is dreadful, would take a day to half upload and then fall over... I have a friend with an office nearby that I could visit to do it though. We'll have to see when I find the time, possibly later this week.

• Like Like x 2
  19. I'm thinking of upgrading to an XT and I have a 2103 pp could you put a picture up of the sat nav mounted to your bike
    Thanks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information