1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 New Satnav

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by rotaxracer, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Hi as above but I presume the mount will be different on my existing 595 sat nav to an XT
    As I have a lockable mount and wanted to keep it if I brought a new one
    Thanks

2. ordered the Speed Angels Nano Glass screen protector for my XT ... have their screen protector on the dash of my 1260s ... it's brilliant. 1.png

3. Yep, the backing plate will be the same (uses the standard 4 bolt arrangement of all Garmin's), but the actual mount is very different. A lot smaller than the 595, with an attached rubber cover for the power pins.

I just upgraded from my 595 to an XT. The screen and speed improvements are pretty noticeable, and the much simplified wiring (single, thin wire) over the 595 (thick, with a tonne of connectors) is great for a neat install.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Have look at my opening post there are pics of mine with an Evotech mount.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the pictures in picture 1 the sat nav looks quite big is that the case or is it just how the picture was taken

6. the Zumo XT is BIG! and that's a good thing for these old eyes.

7. It is only slightly bigger than my 660 in overall size but the screen is larger.

• Like Like x 1
  8. And I think it's the angle/closeness of the camera too. But yes, screen area is bigger relative to the outside dimensions of the XT compared to my 590.

• Like Like x 1
  9. My XT did throw up a bit of an anomaly the other evening. Had been for a hike in the Cotswolds and was heading home after dark so took the M5 at Tewkesbury intending to go down the M50. Had just entered 'home' into the XT for entertainment value. However, the M50 was closed (frequently is at night, wasn't flagged up by the traffic part of the Garmin Drive connection) so had to come off at Strensham services northbound, exit naughtily out of the back of the lorry park and wend my way though the lanes. Whilst on these lanes it kept saying turn left/right on A38 at every junction. The left right bit was correct and I did eventually come out on the A38 but it was telling me that I was on that road all along when I plainly wasn't. the 590 would have just called it 'unnamed road'. In fact this was appearing at the top of the screen but the voice instructions were using "A38"... Small niggly non-issue really, something that should hopefully be addressed in a firmware update.

10. Is this model going to support the tyre pressure monitors?

11. Will do later on today

12. Will do but not home till this evening.

13. Apparently not > https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=78124

Though, according to the above link, third party sensors will work to a certain extent.

15. Hi.

The first photo is taken from in front of my eyes, might give you an idea of the frontal view.

28D23C4B-FDF2-4976-9A36-AFA0E10B54A0.jpeg

B57D4E26-06EB-4E52-90DF-E5585AC165E3.jpeg

379424C6-8E67-4B43-9744-91D83F7ABABB.jpeg

16. I've had my Zumo XT for over a month now, here are a few more things I discovered (original review):
    • Cyclops Safety Camera Subscription
      • When connecting to Garmin Express running on a PC via USB, an update was offered for Cyclops Safety Cameras which I downloaded and enabled on the Zumo XT. Over the last month there have been a number of Cyclops updates which I've installed. Everything worked as expected until last Friday when the Zumo XT stopped displaying speed camera warnings. During the first month, there was no option to purchase a Cyclops subscription but today (after the Garmin's servers came back online), so it looks like a free trial has ended (30 days?). The One Year subscription for Europe costs £25. I've not yet activated the subscription as the Garmin servers are down again :-(
    • Music
      • I listen to music most of the time when riding and found spoken sat nav directions too intrusive, so I don't connect the sat nav to my Bluetooth headset. I connect the headset directly to my phone and play music from it and adjust volume and skip tracks using the headset buttons. I've tried using the Multistrada Bluetooth integration but found it a pain to use the volume control as they conflicted with mode selection (you have to disable music mode before you can change mode). I've not tried connecting my Bluetooth headset directly to the Zumo XT to play MP3 files directly however I understand the limit of 1,000 files have now been increased to 5,000 with software version 2.8. The Zumo XT appears to have better options for controlling and mixing audio sources than previous models. Also, it now possible to stream music from a phone via the Zumo XT and use the track selection controls on the Zumo XT. In fact this works even if the audio path is direct from the phone to the headset, so I can now use either headset or Zumo XT controls for skipping tracks.
    • Garmin Drive Mobile Phone App Integration
      • Weather App: This is useful however the weather radar display is slow as it's probably pulling lots of data from the phone and therefore using a lot of mobile data. I just found out it's possible save locations in the Weather App (select the Current Location banner at the top of the screen) which is useful.
      • Traffic App: The traffic map display works reasonable well, not dissimilar to google maps with the traffic option enabled. Warning of road closures on route is a bit hit and miss probably due to the source data accuracy. Warning of traffic delays when creating a route seems to work OK.
      • Smart Notifications: I was a bit shocked when a WhatsApp message appeared on the Zumo XT screen for the first time. The Drive App settings allows various app categories to forward notification to the Zumo XT (i.e. Alerts, Email, Incidents, Messages, Reminders, Social, Other). I've disabled emails but kept the Social option enabled as I only use WhatsApp (not Facebook etc) and then only rarely and usually bike/tour related.
      • route transfer: works well if a bit slow. As When using Basecamp, I use a USB cable for transferring multiple route, tracks and waypoints - an check for updates at the same time using Garmin Express.
    • Customisation of Zumo XT menus
      • On the Zumo XT it is possible to reorder the Where To? and Apps menu icons. It is also possible to personalise the Where To? menu to add specific categories and an icon for Custom POIs (Points of Interest). I created a downloaded a couple of POI files successfully (same process as previous Zumo models).
    • Motorcycle Mount
      • Unfortunately there is no positive click when putting the Zumo XT into the motorcycle mount (unlike previous Zumo models), so you have to given the sat nav a waggle to ensure you've engaged it correctly.
      • The motorcycle mount doesn't have a proper cover (like previous Zumo models) just a small rubber boot to push over the connectors. I've found a 3D printer file for a cover but I don't have a 3D printer.
    Other than the design of the motorcycle mount, the only other downsides I've found are:
    • It is no longer possible to use the Where To? menu to directly access saved Trips (routes), you have select via Apps, Trips, Saved Trips.
    • The list of the Saved Trips (routes) and Tracks appears to be random. When you have a daily route for a two week tour, it's a pain to find the one you want. It was alphanumeric on the Zumo 660 which meant I could control the list order by using a naming convention.
    Overall the Zumo XT is a major improvement on the Zumo 595, particularity the screen clarity, processor speed and touch screen responsiveness however if you use the Garmin tyre pressure sensors and/or camera then these are not (yet?) supported on the Zumo XT.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  17. @steveb123 That's interesting about the Cyclops speed camera thing. I tried buying a subscription but it said it wasn't available for that model, but I seemed to have them anyway (and the files aren't in the same place as they were on the 595). It really wasn't clear that it was a trial. I also never had Garmin Express offer it to me, it just seemed to be on the unit.

Having come from a 595LM myself the Apps menu wasn't new - and it's not really been improved. It's a different app for the phone now (Drive rather than Connect). The one big change is the connection to explore.garmin.com. I design my routes in MyRouteApp, export as tracks to Garmin Explore, and then they sync wirelessly to the unit. As you've found out, regular routes are in Apps (like the 595), but the explore stuff is under "Where To?" and then "Explore". This also allows nice grouping of routes/waypoints etc under "collections". Explore also totally removes the need for Basecamp (it's basically basecamp online with syncing to your unit).

Thanks for the 3D mount link. it's interesting, although I would have liked it more if there was a gap at the bottom to allow the rubber cover to be used along with it. I might ask my friend to make one like that if he can.

And yes, the random order of the saved Trips sucks (as does the lack of reverse route!) - again, the same as it was on the 595. Using the Explore method above as a replacement, you can get some kind of organisation with a collection however. I think this is the way Garmin is trying to push people (and it's a good direction). It also works nicely with MRA.

Even over a 595, this is for me, a big step up. The screen is a giant jump over the 595 and whilst the software is the same, the wireless syncing and use of collections along with "explore" make it a good upgrade - especially as it's cheaper than the 595 was at launch (by some way). Another nice thing that swayed it for me is that the wiring is so much simpler compared to the massive loom of cables the 595 had. It's now very easy (once again) to do a cable split and move mounts between bikes (or remove a mount). I'm now able to use one nav on both my bikes, the MTS is all hard wired, and my other bike where I don't want a mount permanently, now has a nice split cable solution.

• Like Like x 1
  18. On the XT itself there are multiple choice volume settings for media which for me is music, phone and navigation.
    From the home screen select Volume. Then select mixer and play away.

1BBD4A70-D3D9-421F-B066-4B732FD72D00.jpeg

6000FA5A-1568-4DD0-9AA7-4FB9598D6B7C.jpeg

8EB03762-612A-47C7-9A02-063B2F439E14.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • The list of the Saved Trips (routes) and Tracks appears to be random. When you have a daily route for a two week tour, it's a pain to find the one you want. It was alphanumeric on the Zumo 660 which meant I could control the list order by using a naming convention.
    Something I use when I'm on tour (on my current Garmin) with a bunch of routes is to set the departure date for each days route, that way they appear in order at the top of the list. You can even set the departure time if you have a morning and afternoon route.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. The trip (route) list does appear to be sorted by departure time, if this is set., but only for trips imported at the same time. Basecamp allows both dates and times to be scheduled however on transfer to on the Zumo XT only the time is shown and changed with the Edit Schedule option. If the departure time is set it is displayed (in a small font) under the trip name. The trip list displays Saved Trips first (those created on the Zumo XT) and Imported Trips second.

When testing this I manage to import two trips with the same name at the same time, the trip list displayed only one entry with a arrow at the right hand side, when selected it displayed both routes in a new list. It was possible to changed the name of one of these duplicate trips and it was still listed in the original "sub-folder". I tried importing a third trip on the same name and was displayed in the top level list, it was not put in the "sub-folder". It appears that when multiple trips of the same name are imported, the name is not changed to make it unique (usually by adding a number at the end) which is different from previous Zumo models and also different from how duplicate Favourites (way points) are handled.

Anyway after all that playing around, I'd still prefer that trips and tracks were displayed in alphanumeric order.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information