1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 New Satnav

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by rotaxracer, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Just to update my situation with the speed cameras... from today, it now appears as a purchaseable thing from the store. I must have just hit when they were under their cyber attack (they are still very flakey right now). So yes, it isn't free with the XT, you may just get a demo set with the unit. Also interesting is that it uses a different file structure to the older units for the speed camera database.

2. Just joined the club as well!

3. Do you need to by the Cyclops Camera subscription? What happens when the free trial runs out?
    I presume you retain the existing data base but will it still update each year with the map updates if you don't buy it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm no longer sure what the situation is regarding the free trial Cyclops subscription. I assumed I'd need to buy a subscription after a free trial ran out, so once Garmin recovered from their cyber attack I managed to purchase a one year subscription for Europe. I've not managed to "Activate" the subscription yet however I'm still getting updates of the Cyclops camera database when I use Garmin Express. I really should find the time and energy to raise this problem with Garmin support.

When looking at the POI files on the Zumo XT (via USB connection), I can see that there is a set of POI files named "country"CyclopsSample.gpi which are all dated 10/03/20 plus another set which appear to be Cyclops Database files dated as per the last Garmin Express Cyclops update. So it looks like my Zumo is getting updated Cyclops database files.

Regarding map updates, they are updated a lot more frequently than annually typically 3 or 4 times a year. The current set of City Navigator maps for Europe are 2021.1. The Zumo XT also has TopoActive Powersports Europe maps installed (2020.10) and iOverlander Worldwide (2021.30) plus some others (Foursquare, Parkopedia). With the Zumo XT, it is now possible to update the maps directly via WiFi / internet. If you use Basecamp, then you'll have to remember to update the City Navigator maps via Garmin Express to ensure Basecamp and your Zumo XT are using the same version of these maps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Hi,
    I am very happy with the xt having upgraded from a 660 it has a lot of additional functions, many of which I am still trying to get a grip of. I have not yet worked out if it is possible to do the following, any help would be appreciated.
    1, reverse the direction of the route calculated by the round trip app and 2, can you save a route from history if you did not use the track function at the start of the trip? If so how?
    Cheers

6. I don't think that there is a reverse route option on the XT, these can be problematic anyway. MyRouteApp (subscription version) and Garmin Basecamp can do this though. Just check the route for anomalies on motorways and one way systems before export and use.

All Garmins will track your route whether you ask them to or not. A log file is maintained in the GPX folder and once this reaches a certain size it's archived off into the Archive folder off of the GPX folder and a new one started. Your history, including time and speed, is available from the first time you used your device to the last trip. This track is not available from the device itself but load it into Basecamp and you can see it all.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Used mine for the first time today. I’d made test route with some unnecessary waypoints, good to see it’s easy to skip a waypoint from the home screen. Music player worked well from my iPhone.
    Initially I was a bit annoyed that the sat Nav directions kept lowering the music even though I had set it to mute. I discovered you can independently turn off the ‘headset’ but leave the ‘music player’ active. Helpful if you don’t want all turns announced when you know where you are and that you can turn it back on for tricky parts of a trip. In the past it’s what’s stopped me linking the headset and sat Nav. My old one used to stop the music which was more annoying.
    Love the bright screen and I fitted a Matt protector as it shows finger prints up otherwise

8. Prehaps start a new thread & do a simple A->-B route plan.

10. Just to answer a few questions above:

Yes, you do have to purchase the Cyclops camera database on the XT. This was confused by their cyberattack messing things up, but yes, you do need to buy it. The trial they offer is exactly the same as the "one-off" purchase, you just get the files at a point in time, so if you've not used your trial, it's best to get that than the one-off. Otherwise, you're looking at the subscription (which is now working and available). Note that the subscription might show 2 entries in your Garmin Express app, with one not being activated. This is a bug at their end from what their support people have told me.

As for reverse routes, yes, not available since the 660 (I think). If you transfer a track to the device (or have it stored on your unit from the ride you've just done), you can then bring the track up and make a trip from the track based on "start to finish" or "finish to start". However I've often found the resulting trip to not actually follow the track and to be a direct route. It seems that track behaviour has been messed up by a recent software update that they've done (they've documented this change in behaviour somewhere so it's not a bug, it's now a feature!).

11. Because I could not select a different audio for the speed cameras to the speed warning (which is a feature i like) I did not renew my Garmin speed camera subscription. Instead i went to my old method with https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Here you can change the warning distance or speed as well as the audio

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Basecamp does a convert track to route with the option to reduce the number of points to a sensible level for a route. However, it selects these arbitrarily and generally does a crap job.

I've tried doing this in MyRouteApp and somehow it seems to make a loosely intelligent selection. Not tested extensively but useful if all you have is a track.

In the past, pre MRA, I used to just trace over a displayed track in Basecamp with the routing tool. Just as quick and worked well. With practice you can create routes in Basecamp really quickly. Unfortunately it lacks the tools I use to research my routes such as street view, Michelin maps and Google Maps. All these are available in MRA gold. The only thing that MRA can't do is:
    • Add intermediate way-points, only shaping-points, between start and end points
    • Set start date and time and obviously delays to intermediate way-points
    Using the XT, and the 5xx series Zumos, you can do the above on the unit itself, a bit of a faff. Though you can only set times, not dates. The latter would be useful for sorting in order. For routes for tours I might well use Basecamp to set this or have a look at the GPX files for the relevant part of the XML that dictates this. Hopefully MRA can add this feature in the future.

13. Before they messed up tracks, this was an excellent way of doing things with MRA and the XT:

unfortunately, tracks are completely broken from what I can make out now.

14. I've experienced this a few times in heavy rain - standard screen (no spacers).

A bit of pain but I suppose it's the price of having a sensitive touch screen compared with the older models (595 / 660 in my experience) which I sometimes struggled to operate with a gloved finger.

15. “Raindrops keep falling on my head”, sorry screen!
    A plastic bag will sort that out.
    Now I’m glad I decided to wait and not be an XT- test pilot.

16. TBH it was a total pain in the arse and rather dangerous. Hopefully they can sort a solution out

17. That's something I didn't expect, haven't experienced it yet myself though my Multi screen tended to keep my 590 pretty clear of rain. Hopefully Garmin will sort it out in a firmware update and not ruin the sensitivity at the same time.

18. Dangerous?

19. You are riding along trying to get back to the route map and it keeps changing the screen into settings, home page, change route etc.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information