1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 New Satnav

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by rotaxracer, Apr 18, 2020.

1. T4M, but surely if you've got the spoken directions also set-up, even with the screen distraction issues going on, which would almost certainly be irritating at the very least, you can relatively easily maintain route navigation.
    Unless I've mis-understood the point you are trying to make, which wouldn't be that unusual!:neutral:

2. I don’t have the spoken directions running, also I suspect it wouldn’t make any difference. Basically it’s a major issue riding in heavy rain showing either the map or a route on the map. The screen jumps back to the home screen, or maybe the ‘up ahead, or settings, or just turns itself off. So you are riding along in pouring rain stabbing buttons to try and get something that resembles A map up. Not ideal.
    Light rain is not an issue, maybe I need to change the angle of the screen, or fit a different screen protector which would make it less sensitive?

3. Seriously though, the jumping screen is not the danger. Fiddling with it when you should be concentrating on the road is the danger. Forget the device and watch the road

• Like Like x 1
  4. Umm, but if it wasn’t jumping around I could concentrate on my riding...

5. I had a very similar issue with an old StreetPilot 2720 years ago. Though it was doing this all the time rather than just in wet conditions. Turned out to be a bit of grit trapped between the very edge of the screen and the gasket on the bezel. Stripped the whole thing down, cleaned and reassembled. Was perfect again after that. Obviously the XT is a bezal-less design so won't be that.

However, could there be an issue with your specific unit Twin4Me? Will try smattering my XT with water later whilst running a simulated route and see what happens. Can't imagine that Garmin didn't test the unit in wet conditions.

6. Quick question from a "lurker" with a 595 which has the crappy battery issue but currently bending the connector pins! On the "apps" section is there an option to download other apps from the app store? I'm specifically thinking Spotify rather than having it direct from my phone into headsets? also what's the best you tube review to "get a feel" if it's worth the upgrade! Would have to buy a new battery next year anyway for the 595 and thinking there £50 I'd have to shell out anyway! tia......

7. John W ... would you please be so kind as to explain how you are able to transfer addresses from your phones contact app, over to your Zumo XT?

I have searched the Zimo XT owners manual, the garmin help site, and even the interwebz at large ... but cannot find any information.

i have Garmin Smart Link and Garmin Drive loaded on my iPhone, and can see that in Garmin Smart Link there is the "Contacts" section, and the "Send" button ... and when i hit Send, i have no fecking clue as to how to access the sent address on the Zumo XT.

your step by step instructions will be appreciated.

thank you in advance.

8. Google Maps > select a location > chose 'share place' > find 'Garmin Drive' and share. Done :upyeah:

That's on Android, if you have Crapple you're on your own. You're welcome :D

9. As far as I'm aware there is no facility to download apps.

Regarding playing music, the XT lets you stream music from your phone via Bluetooth, so I assume you could play music from Spotify on your phone via the Zumo XT to your headset (paired with the Zumo XT not your phone). I've not tried this myself so can 100% confirm it works.

Regarding Zumo 595 batteries. I brought a spare battery for mine and it made no difference as the issue is with the connector pins. The integral battery on the Zumo XT (not replaceable) seems to have run time, certainly a lot better than my 595.

There are YouTube video reviews (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=garmin+zumo+xt). I've flipped through a couple but not seen enough to recommend one however there are a couple from Garmin should be informative.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm no expert, these are only my finding from having a play. I'm sure others have far more experience with using the XT.
    This isn't transferring the contact, its just the address from the contact.
    It would be nice if the entire contact was accessible on the XT including address, notes, etc, but its not.
    If you were hoping for that, sadly I cant help.

Its a shame it won't work with the 'Smart-phone Link' app, as that was real easy.
    I've not found a way to get this to work, but will post the way to do it just in case someone else has more luck (or there is a later/different version that works):
    click on contacts. I think (though could be wrong) this only shows contacts that have addresses set. find your mate and click on them. You will be shown the address. Just click on send at the top. If send is greyed out it means its already in your history, so go to history, click on it, and press send.
    This worked with my 590, so its frustrating it doesnt for the XT.

Using the Garmin Drive App:
    Here are a few simple(ish) ways to get a contact address from your phone.
    I'm doing it on a Samsung Note 9, just incase it makes a difference.

1) find your mate in your contact, if you click on the address it should open it in your maps app (for me its Google maps). This is the long winded way, but worth explaining as it works for any location you find in google maps.
    2a) In your map app press and hold the pin for a couple of seconds.
    You should get a banner menu pop up at the bottom of the screen for Directions, Start, Save, Share.
    Click on Share.
    Scroll across and you should find G-Drive in the options available. Select it.
    3a) The Garmin app opens with a pin on the map in the location you had selected.
    Click on Go at the bottom of the screen.
    Its transferred to your XT, if its connected. (Note I now see a pop-up telling me it will be transferred the next time my device connects, which I assume is because its not connected at present).
    4) once its loaded on your XT, on mine it automatically sets it as the destination and calculates.
    You can find the location in your history (where too -> history). If you select it and press the 'i' for information, you should have an option to save, which saves it to favourites.

Alternatives:
    1b) rather than clicking on the address in your phone book, just copy all of it or just postcode, and manually post it.
    2b) you can copy any address from google maps in this way. e.g. shop, dealer, hotel, etc.
    2c) If your in, say, booking.com, looking at your hotel, it should show you the address with a pin next to it.
    If you tap the pin or address it will give you an 'open with' menu, and one of the options is the G Drive app.
    3b) open the Garmin app and copy the address / postcode straight into the search field in the Garmin app.

Hope that lot helps.
    If there are better ways, I've not found them yet, so please just post them up.

11. There is a guy who advertises on the bay who does a repair/replace of the connector. He also does the usb connector (mine won't charge from usb now).
    Its 50 quid I think.

I left my XT sat next to my chair, supposedly turned off, and it went totally flat, simply would not turn on. I always command them to turn off rather than just sleep. In fact the 590 I unplug the battery (russian roulette I know as that may feck the connector), as this stops it going flat.

12. I have looked at this Satnav as the 590 I use has a small screen and used as a rolling map, not always easy to see detail. The only reason I havent made the change yet is I cannot determine how it connects with the mount power supply. Is it a simple two pin feed / return (5V live and neutral) per the 590? Any chance you could post a photograph of the power input point to the Satnav?

13. Just found the manual on line showing a five pin mount, so needs some cable work to make the change. Easily enough sorted though. Just looking for the easy option!

14. Bike cradle only has two active pins.
    20200911_155648.jpg

Car cradle relies on the USB for powering the XT... Not sure what the three other pin pads on the back of the GPS are for...

15. That's interesting. Thank you. Looks as if it will be compatible with existing two pin system?

16. That's gonna happen with any sat Nav. Does it on my tomotom and did it on my last zumo.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. much thanks...

18. If you mean the power connector into the Ducati loom, then yes. you'll need to source a new mating plug or de-solder/cut the old one off. However, the XT cradle has a long lead with the transformer block closer to the connection than the GPS end. As a result you'll wind up having the cable-tie quite a bit of spare cable into a loop and hide it in the fairing somewhere.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Never happened before on any Garmin I’ve owned.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. :eek: In that case you seem to have also been on the wrong end of quality control.
    I've had Garmin 660 and now TomTom Rider 410 satnavs, with to date, no such issue whatsoever.
    To me this definitely appears to be a design defect, which if an on-going repetitive concern, should be made clear to and dealt with by Garmin ASAP. :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information