1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 New To Me 848 , Upgrades ?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ebbs73, May 7, 2018.

1. Hello people

You may have read I've just bought a 848 , what's the upgrades that's or preventative measure you've taken on your bike .
    I've read about the rectifier so I'll have a nose , battery , head lights , seat etc

Anything to improve or prevent .

Thank you

Chris

2. My last 848 I removed the two plates that restrict light from both headlights, it's fiddly but it improves night vision.

3. Hi mate. First on your list should be a suspension setup. This will improve your bike massively, probably the best thing you could do.
    Then, go either 1 tooth smaller on the front sprocket or 2 more on the rear.
    An after market clutch slave should help sporting the clutch lever out.
    Better seat, I went with a superpole one which helps you from sliding about.
    Upgrade starter cables.
    Then, you should fit as much carbon fibre and titanium as you can! :upyeah:

Ian

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. If you do that to both headlights then you will have two main beams and no dip beam!
    I fitted two projectors that give two dip beams and two main beams, with twin angle eyes, l still have the modified headlight here.
    Go down a tooth on the front sprocket, fit an exhaust valve eliminator, some nice open exhausts and other minor mods. Makes it a nice bike to ride. I loved mine, but despite being a great fun bike, it was not comfortable for long journeys.

5. Mine was fine you can lower the beam no problem whatsoever went straight through test

6. I could spend all day in the seat, just the neck ache I got, but I'm a dwarf

7. Definitely 14t front sprocket, and Oberon clutch slave are really good mods, have u just picked the bike up then?

8. +1 to the neck ache!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  9. I'll add the shoulder and wrist ache too.

10. Thumbs up for all the above mods, I would add some spacers for the mirrors. It will improve your rear vision a lot

11. Yo

Some good ideas and some I've read about ,
    Few questions ,
    Why does it need the starter cables , clutch slave , what's the advantage of the sproket changes ?
    And god yes , the mirrors are shocking I need the extensions .

Im happy to learn and solve future problems .

I picked the bike up on Sunday morning , I've done 100 miles so far , wrist ache was more then I'm used to but I did smile for 95 miles of the ride .
    Thank you

Chris

12. Yo

Some good ideas and some I've read about ,
    Few questions ,
    Why does it need the starter cables , clutch slave , what's the advantage of the sproket changes ?
    And god yes , the mirrors are shocking I need the extensions .

Im happy to learn and solve future problems .

I picked the bike up on Sunday morning , I've done 100 miles so far , wrist ache was more then I'm used to but I did smile for 95 miles of the ride .
    Thank you

Chris

13. Dont know about the starter cables, but a bigger diameter clutch slave will make your left hand's life much much easier. Another mod would be a pair of gel grips to lessen the weight a bit from your wrist and a preventative mod would be the relocation of the rectifier to a less hot area like for example on the other side of where it sits now. Going up 1 or 2 teeth on the back will shorten the gearing therefore 1st gear wont be as long as it is now and it will generally behave better in low-rev rides

14. Ducati OEM starter cables are barely adequate to carry the current required by the starter when new and only get worse with age.
    ExactStart cables can carry more current and are better made as well, so will continue to be able to.
    A cable kit was far and away the best money I've spent on my 999. Starting was transformed from slow and reluctant to fast and eager.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. As above and FWIW (along with some other mods) I have had the suspension sorted, dropped to a 14t front sprocket, fitted the exact cables. These were the 3 best stand alone mods. The bike is transformed with just these 3. Handling and starting quicker. Put them 1st on the list :upyeah: .... also I havn’t bothered with the clutch slave, I dont know what the improvement is, but the lever/pressure seems fine to me :)

16. I had no reason to change the starter cables mine worked fine for the 2 years that I owned the bike. I did have a Lithium battery fitted for the last year of ownership, but there was nothing wrong with the original battery, I just changed it for fun.
    I also had gel grips fitted, but they made no difference to wrist ache, they wore out quicker than the rear tyre (M7RR).
    The 14 tooth front sprocket made it much more rideable around town and in 50 (30mph) limits.
    I never found the clutch to be a burden.
    The mirrors were fine when you got used to looking under your arms rather than around them.

17. This ... I swopped the long extenders for the standard short ones, they are better for me

18. Thank you for all the replies .

Looks like , sprockets , starter cable , clutch, seat and at some point suspension .
    Are there links in the tech section or can you recommend a site for to spend money I shouldn't .

I do appreciate your time , I'll repay in the form of crappy plumbing gas help .

19. Agree with the mod list cables are good along with a new seat to stop your nuts being constantly squashed on the tank, I got a super pole one very grippy and helps if you’re too tall for the bike :upyeah:

20. The cables are Exactfit/Exact start or something, PM Exige, think he sells them. The suspension if the bike is several years old could benefit simply from fresh oil and some springs for your weight, that’s the best budget option.

Conquest carbon is a site supporter I think, decent website and has some good items for releasing money from your wallet :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information