1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

950 New V2s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Lizzyfan, Nov 27, 2021.

1. I'm sure it will. I came from a long history of V4s (Honda VFRs) and then immediately prior a triple (MV Agusta) and was a little underwealmed by my 1260s to start with if the truth be told. But it's grown on me over the last three years to the extent it's a long term keeper. Both adaptation of me as well as minor improvements to the bike that have made a real significant difference.

In no particular order:

Set-up front suspension properly in accordance with the handbook; this after almost two years and finding that the out of the factory manual pre-load was beyond inadequate.

Throttle spacer; improves/eliminates the take-up slop in the throttle action. Improves on/off transition when slow riding. Something of a Marmite modification...

Screen Spacers to reduced buffeting; tried a few aftermarket screens but found that the OEM screen with Iconic Parts spacers gave the best results. Quite subjective that one, depending on various factors such as height, clothing, helmet etc. As well as those preferring a low sports screen to move the airflow lower.

Ducati Performance Touratech comfort seats; the OEM ones are shockingly bad for a premium touring motorcycle. Unlike the 950 it looks like the V2 Mutley uses the same seats as the 1260. I do say 'looks' though, you'd need to check if going down this route. Officially a MY15-17 MTS 1200 accessory. No longer made so 2nd hand is only option and still no cheap. Other options, such as having the originals reupholstered, available.

Exhuast flapper valve elimination; the valve is essentially a noise emissions cheat device, serving no other useful purpose. Easiest route is to disconnect cable at the valve end, add a small coil spring to its end to approximately mimic the resistance of the valve's return spring itself. Plus wiring the valve in the open position. Only a marginally appreciable change in exhaust note at the point in the rev range that the valve closes, in other words more consistent. However, 'fluffiness' in engine response for the same range seems improved. The Exhuast valve is prone to sticking anyway after a year or two.

Plenty of information on these across the forum. And some may have been addressed on your bike anyway.

Don't let any of that put you off though. An exceptional bike and the V2, by all accounts, is a good evolution despite being down on power over it's bigger displacement forbear/stablemate. I'd have kept my MV Agusta Turismo except for the poor electrics, limited luggage capacity and less than ideal pillion accommodation. The V2s would have addressed all of those, had it been available at the time, with maybe the exception of the additional grunt for two up, fully loaded touring.

#21 Bumpkin, Dec 24, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks for the advice. I'll be fitting the Ducati spacers as I fitted them to my present Monster. I'll keep the thread updated as the months go by.
    Merry Xmas !

3. If you're talking about the throttle spacers, they may well be different. The 1260 has a single and, I think, specific one. Of course the V2 might not share the same twist-grip. @nelly would be the person to ask.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for that. Downloaded & read through it

5. Dropped into Ducati Coventry yesterday to collect one of the 2022 series windproof casual jackets. The V2s demo was registered & on the showroom floor for test rides ( got mine booked for next Thursday) There were also two more V2s there one of which had a sold sign on it. Anyone from here? My V2s with travel pack was still downstairs in the workshop.

6. My V2S travel should have been delivered to me yesterday - it's ready at Ducati Aylesbury.
    But I'm stuck waiting for replacement V5 for my trade-in bike as needed to take my license plate off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Are you not going to wait for the new March 1st reg plate? if not, please put some photo's up on here and let us know what you think of it after putting some miles on it. My test ride is Thursday aft & the weather app is saying 3 degrees!!

8. How come you're having a test ride if you've got one coming already?

9. Not bothered by having 22 plate ... which is a bit daft from me as I won't even be riding it in this weather.

10. IMG_5984.JPG IMG_5986.JPG IMG_5988.JPG IMG_5989.JPG Some photo's of the unboxing my salesman sent me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I'm going to wait for the 22 plate as it gives me time to see if I can sell my Monster 1200s privately first. Ducati Coventry said they are happy to do this for me. I'm a 'fair weather' rider nowadays so my bikes don't normally come out of hibernation until March/April time anyway.

12. I've not ridden a Multistrada yet so my deposit is conditional & fully refundable on me test riding it first. It is just what I'm looking for as my next bike & all the reviews I've watched & read are positive plus the 950s has a very good reputation. I also didn't want to miss out on the only V2s travel they ordered for stock.

13. That makes sense - I've already got a 950 so pretty much know what I'm getting.
    Did you order any extras?
    I've got a high seat and rear LED indicators on mine. (on top of standard travel stuff)

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I've ordered front spot lights & rear LED indicators. I'm also going to have a Datatool tracker fitted as Ducati Coventry said they will fit one for £150, then I'll prob pay for the three year registration to activate it. Was thinking about adding the alarm as well but I've never liked the alarms I've had on my previous bikes so didn't spec that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. The Ducati alarm, if like the one on my 1260 MTS, is a plug in and play thing and not switched by the ignition. In other words you choose when you want it activated via the fob. Has been 100% reliable thus far over three years. Granted it's only a deterrent against tinkerers but combined with a Roadlock and a tracker buys some peace of mind for me on tours.

• Useful Useful x 2
  16. Thanks, that's useful to know. I'm buying the V2s with touring in mind having never done it before & leaving it parked up in the hotel carparks does worry me. I have an alarmed disc lock which i use on my Monster so will take that with me. I'll give the Ducati alarm some thought.

17. Yep, they're not a cheap option but managed to pick one up from Ducati Manchester when they had a clearance of 1200 MTS accessories back in late 2018. Took a risk that it would still work with my 1260 MTS which it did :) Same for the Touratech comfort pillion seat.

Would only take ripping the seats off, unplugging and flinging into the undergrowth to disable I guess. However, as said above, it's only a deterrent and a single part in an array of security devices that I use. Maybe the unplugging will leave the bike disabled, ISTR that there was something plugged into the socket prior to connecting the alarm. Maybe not just a blanking piece?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Just choose your hotels carefully. Plenty of places you can leave a bike out of sight and many will have somewhere secure to park at night.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The only places I’ve ever heard about major thefts are at Bike races or big bike gatherings. Just choose your hotels carefully. I also have a tracker but used to park in central London (but never lost the multi, did lose an R6 which didn’t have a tracker but was locked up)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information