1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Worcestershire Member

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Thom Washbourne, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Hi all

After 18 years of ownership I sold my 748 recently. I thought with a full time job, family, training for a triathlon and undertaking a fairly major car restoration I didn't need a bike....
    upload_2023-12-2_14-27-28.png

Turns out I was wrong so I bought a multistrada 1200s, with a snapped crank, as a winter project. Wish me luck!
    [​IMG]

Thom

#1 Thom Washbourne, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Welcome

• Like Like x 1
  3. PXL_20231129_102804921~2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. PXL_20231128_171404077.MP.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Welcome into our mad house Tom
    Wishing you luck with your project :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good luck with the project. Hopefully see you out in the marches/Wales in 2024 on your up and running Mutley

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thom, welcome to the forum, good luck with the rebuild

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome Thom

• Like Like x 1
  9. Greetings & wishing you luck with your new puzzle.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Welcome to the forum.:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brave man, huge respect.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Welcome and enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Not convinced this is textbook but it's working! PXL_20231203_111159978.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. It's taken a little longer than expected but I've just fired the bike up!
    It was a fairly calculated risk, I think I could be the only person who's done it (I've not found anything on any of the forums at least) but I now have 2010 multistrada with a 2016 crankshaft. Not an simple swap, but an enjoyable challenge. Too say I was relieved when it fired straight up is an understatement!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Welcome mate

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sounds like a challenge. When you say "not a simple swap" can you please expand on the differences and what you needed to do?

17. Yes of course. The main difference with the crank is the diameter of the shaft on the alternator side so I needed to do some mixing and matching of parts. I bought a later flywheel and retaining bolt. I used the original sprag clutch so had the carrier machined to match the latter crankshaft and also had to modify the original timing gear. This was case hardened though so I used a local firm to EDM wire cut it! Swapped all the bearings as there was swarf everywhere from where the old crank sheared. Shimmed up and the crank cleared all the webbing so just bolted it all back together (the bike had just had a desmo service so didn't need any top end work), pressed the button and it fired straight up!

• Like Like x 5
Do Not Sell My Personal Information