1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Newbie - Love It...mostly!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by macker1974, May 12, 2018.

1. So after initially wanting to sell the bike about 3 days after I bought it I'm coming around!!

I bought the bike (a low mileage 2017 Enduro with Touring pack) to replace a 2015 BMW R1200GS. Whilst the BM is a super machine, I've had 4 or 5 now and fancied something different. The Enduro ticked all the boxes for me and seemed to offer a promise of excitement that was lacking in the GS. The fact that it is far less common than the GS also appealed to me.

My early impressions are that 80% of the time its a superior and much more exciting bike that the GS. The other 20% of the time it proves what a complete and polished product the BMW is, even if its considerably duller. It's a matter of opinion I suppose but the GS is a much better touring bike - its quieter, more refined and generally more polished. When you're in the mood however, the Multi is simply in a different league for fun. The skyhook suspension is also better in all situations too in my opinion.

My main criticism surrounds the refinement as a touring bike (or rather lack of it!!). It's well documented here and elsewhere but the wind noise and buffeting are simply horrendous! It was bad enough for me to consider selling the bike after a couple of days (I actually posted a for sale ad on here), and bad enough for Mrs House to decide she simply wouldn't travel on the bike! I've since decided to give the bike a chance and have changed to a GIVI screen which is substantially better ( but rattles!) but it's still not really acceptable. I find it had to believe that there isn't a decent screen available to solve the problem and am going to persevere until I find a solution!! I had read all the reviews and watched all the usual youtube videos before I bought and cannot understand how none of them made any reference to this. In my opinion it is enough to ruin an otherwise exceptional motorcycle.

There are other little niggles such as the lack of keyless opening on the fuel flap and I do miss my quick-shifter, but nothing that can't be lived with. I had read that the standard seat was horrendous also but whilst not as comfortable as the comfort seat on my GS, it's not something I'd rush out to change. Neither was the size or seat height an issue - I'm not particularly tall at 5'10 but am very comfortable with the size of the bike. It's a touch higher that the standard GS but nothing scary.

There are some nice touches also like the puncture repair kit included in the tool kit and the UBS and power sockets under the seat. The list of standard equipment is also very impressive. Whats not so impressive is the cost of genuine accessories - I almost fell over as my local dealer quoted me for a top box and engine bars!

Lots of guys I've met on the road have asked me how it compares to the GS1200 and its a difficult one to answer. While they both set out to do the same job they seem to come at it from opposite angles and the result is 2 bikes with distinctly different flavours. The BMW is a wonderful all-rounder - polished, accomplished at most things and with very few weaknesses. Its a very easy bike to live with and admire. The 1200 Enduro on the other hand seems to sacrifice some luxury to major on excitement and sportiness - and it delivers in spades in that regard. But if I can't make a few mods to improve the refinement then I'm going to struggle to enjoy it on the longer tours, especially 2 up and fully loaded. I love so much about the bike that I don't want this to be a deal breaker for me. I suppose every bike has compromises but I don't think that refinement should be one of them on a bike so obviously aimed at the touring market.

I'll wait a while longer to avoid a broken heart!

Macker
    IMG_E3352.JPG

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I can see where you are coming from in a lot of what you say. I came to a Ducati for very similar reasons. My last bike was a Super Tenere which did everything extremely well, but in a relatively dull way! The Multi gives me the missing grin factor. For me the enjoyment it gives me far outweighs the perhaps better suitability of the Tenere for long distance touring. I'm pretty fussy where seats and screens are concerned and I will see how the comfort seat is when it arrives...in July I've been told!
    And the screen needs to be changed, but most stock screens seem to be pretty useless. Mind you I've also toured most of Europe on an XJR1300 and an old Zephyr so I still find any bike with any screen a bonus:laughing:
    With a few comfort tweaks I am looking forward to doing some long trips on the Multi. It should be fantastic on those mountain passes! Hopefully you can get yours more to your liking. Stick with it, you don't really want to go back to being another one of those GS riders do you? :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. That’s a long intro dude :cool::upyeah:
    Welcome :)

4. I wonder if the screen issue is more to do with the angle of attack rather than the size, my mate has an old 1200 GS and there's less buffeting with that and it's a much smaller screen than the Multi.

5. Love my enduro, get some of those fancy inner-ear made plugs. I will read your thread in the morning once I'm rested.

6. Welcome along :cool:

7. Just goes to show that everyone is a bit different. I found the stock seat and screen on the GSw to be unacceptable, and swapped both out. With my Multi (not an Enduro though), I find the stock seat comfortable and the screen is fine - get a reasonably clean stream of air on my helmet. It is quieter for me (6'1") in the lower position though.

The GSw is an incredibly competent motorcycle. Sometimes competent isn't quite enough. That's why I have the Multi and the SA-S - the Ducati brings the drama and the KTM brings the animal. Nice one-two punch, and I don't miss the BMW at all...

8. You could be on to something there. On my Tenere which had the same buffeting problem I bought an aftermarket screen mount which gave adjustment on the angle as well as height, and it was changing the angle that made the most difference,.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Great post.
    Givi now make an affordable top case look at the outback range, also engine bars as well.

The gsa has been refined over many years now and is a legendary machine for sure. However you have to admire the first attempt from ducati, they have produced an awesome dual sport.

#9 Trickyricky, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  10. The original 1200MS screen was a problem in that it produced a turbulent airstream at head height and cutting down the screen to allow clean airflow at head height was a big improvement.

The best screen I have ever used was on the R1200RT.

I hope to try a 1260MS soon and will be disappointed if there is turbulent airflow at head height.

11. Welcome along and great write up.Hope you settle into Ducati ownership.

12. I agree 100%. I to cane from two GSA and wanted something different. Can’t say the screen is any different from my old air cooled. What I did though was to remove the risers on the handlebars and replace them with 15 mm ones. It pulls me a bit forward and closer to the screen.

13. Wunderlich adjustable screen, not attractive but very well made and it works.
    Screen rattle can be fixed with superglue (search for similar threads for the fix), sounds drastic but it works

14. i test rode a 1200S in saturday, awesome bike but there wasn't a single position i could put the screen in that didn't create a god awful howl on the peak of my ducati branded tour x. exactly the same as when i fitted a strada screen to my 939SP. fingers crossed I won't have to ditch my lid when my pikes peak arrives.

15. Thanks for all the kind welcomes folks! There's lots of great advice and ideas in your responses - I'm determined to get this bike the way I want it, which says so much about how they get under our skin! I'm not sure I'd be as committed to it if was a BMW!! It's the girl next door versus that girl at the end of the bar that you just know is going to cause trouble!!
    Will keep you posted!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Welcome to the Ducati Enduro. I had GS's years ago, but they got too popular - so it's a bit of a double edged sword; a very competent bike, certainly a great distance bike, but for me a little bit boring and lacks the excitement and drama of a KTM or a Ducati.

Over a 10 year period I also had all the KTMs. The 950, 990 (S and the R), 1190(R) and the 1290, all great bikes, with the 1190 probably my favourite.

I got my Enduro at the end of 2016 and really enjoy it. I had the electronic petrol cap release fitted, so you simply unlock it without the key once you stop. Not sure if you can get that retro fitted?

I'm the same height as you (5' 10'') but don't have the wind and screen problem that you describe, which is strange. I use fitted silicone ear plugs and don't wear a peak helmet on the road, which probably helps. I also have the comfort seat fitted which I think is about an inch taller than standard, which may also make a difference with the screen.

I find the Enduro suspension a little too soft for me, certainly compared to the WP units on my KTMs. But overall I prefer the Enduro's ergonomics and quality. My brother has the new KTM 1290S, so it will be interesting to compare more closely when we do one of our long trips together.

I hope that you sort things with your bike and get it to how you want it. Not always easy I know, and you often end up making compromises. I tend to swap my bikes every two years or so and I'm really not sure what I will do with mine at the end of this year. :thinkingface:

To be fair though, these days we are spoiled for choice :)

17. Ive had mine for just over a year now and covered 6K miles and I really 'want' to love it but I'm falling out of love with it.......and its because its never away from the garage??

I agree with the wind noise and Ive got the taller ducati screen which is just aweful so I'm going to actually try a short race screen to see if that stops the turbulence??

Mine as usual is in the garege again so another weekend riding missed!

There has been a shock recall, oil leak after 3 months, fuel sender failure and part was on back order for 3 weeks, and now a gear selector fault and yep.....you guessed it......part on back order!

I NEVER had this with my KTM and now fining myself seriously considering the Superduke GT?

I'm just a bit sick of the Ducati 'experience' and I don't want to be

18. Yikes, not good...
    Out of interest is the gear selector fault relating to false neutrals? I get this a bit going to and from 5th and it seems to be a common complaint on here... I've read that it improves with mileage but mine has 3000 miles now and its still an issue.

19. Yeah its the false neutrals issue.

Just bored of dropping bike at the service department!

20. Im 6'5" and gave up looking for the perfect screen for my bike's years ago.. its like looking for a golden fleece. I have garage full of them (screens not fleeces). I hear stories of people riding along with their visor up with nothing more than a gentle breeze tickling the face at 100mph .... i hate these people!! :)

So now I always go for a low screen that gives clean air... in this case the carbon screen. The Enduro has enough protection to keep most of the wind (and rain) off my body and shoulders... but nice clean air to my head. I'm comfortable on long trips and at high speed. There's no buffeting but can be noisy without good earplugs. Tried 100's of those too... including the custom moulded ones... Eventually settled for the 3m foam plugs which for me are exceptional .... blocks out all wind noise.

I'd suggest removing the screen completely and go for a spin. If that works for you the low carbon screen may be an option. BTW when I fit the tank bag i get some buffeting around 70MPH... so I don't use it - simples.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information