1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Newly Purchased 748 Sp

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Greg369, Mar 20, 2018.

1. That’s good to know, just need to find some bodywork that isn’t damaged to start with, the belly panels are broken off and the nose looks like it has a few cracks here and there.........just missed out on some on eBay the other day :weary_face:

2. So I’ve started looking into the electrics and I’ve got a fair few issues to address!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Looks almost easier to get a new loom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think you might be right, it’s just managing to find one that’s right and is in better condition.
    Any idea what the black wire going through the round plastic plug on the other side of the casing is? Possibly a temp sensor? The wires are pretty melted too

5. Looks as if it's been bogged in the past, the extension wires connected to the two generator wires in particular, although it looks a mess at the moment, with a little care and patience it shouldn't take long to put it right.
    Good luck.
    Steve

6. Cheers Steve,
    It has a slight misfire now and then and will cut out if you don’t have a few revs up, this is the first stage of trying to sort that problem out, ultimately it is going to get stripped down but would like to know it’s running sweet before I do :upyeah:

7. I think that’s the generator wire that plugs into the rectifier below the battery.

8. I may have a loom and a couple of timing belt covers if you need them plus a bin full of random 748 parts that I've assembled for my R for those just in case moments!

9. That would be great, I am on a budget so it may come down to the soldering iron and some heat shrink!
    Send me a PM
    Cheers

10. Prob best you send me a list of what you need and I can try do you a mates rates deal

11. Prob best you send me a list of what you need and I can try do you a mates rates deal

12. Total strip down id say....that engine paint i would say to be tackled correctly (and if its a keeper) should be stripped back to the crankcases, cerakoted and then reassembled....pretty well the same for the rest of the bike...

13. Just out of curiosity are you trying to keep the loom standard? i was thinking along these lines (what ive got on my supermoto)
    https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-unit-blue.html
    Fitting that would probably reduce the wiring quite considerably...

14. I found some 50 amp wire, that would be useful for the generator wiring. I used it to extend my wire so that it is not laying right next to the engine.
    Let me know if you need some and the length.

15. I'm going to try keep it standard (where possible) as there isn't many of the SP left, I am definitely going to strip the bike once running correctly then get the engine and frame painted the correct colour.
    I would like to buy the mid section loom inc. relays and belt cover where mine has been melted, if possible new wiring from the generator but I think this may be possible to joint through with a bit of care and attention.
    I'm sure I will need other bits but the motor has had a full service two years ago and hasn't done 1 mile since inc. valve clearances, oil, belts, new clutch, new rear disc, new tyres its the electrics letting me down! Also the elusive temperature bezel as that is cracked in the usual spot!

16. Id still have to say strip to the frame, clean, recoate and re-assemble...its the only way you'll uncover everything...and if you want to keep it standard (understandably) then moreso - my only reasoning from the motogadget angle is that it would simplify and shitty loom to start with..! one thing the motogadget unit does away with is relays!

17. I think you're right I just want to solve the annoying cutting out problem first but I need to drain the two year old fuel and check further wiring under the tank, once I'm happy it's running ok i'll get it stripped down!
    I also need the side fairings including belly, I managed to get a full carbon fibre set including nose and tail from a 916 is a fairly good condition for £150 which I thought was a bargain but obviously not standard :eek:

18. I’m taking the approach of having my SP standardish, using all 748 bits, but some are from later bikes, mostly this is due to what I already have and not wanting the cost to go crazy.

19. There really isn't many left and getting bits seems to be getting more difficult, my dads mate has just bought one as well last week which is a year newer than mine so I can always use his bike as a bit of a reference for wiring etc.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information