1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Bike?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by bradders, Apr 22, 2017.

1. With the multi as my main bike its unlikely I'll do 4k miles in 2 years ;)

Top of the list right now :)

2. The general consensus is if it's tracked it will accelerate the valve clearance check... Problem is with the v4 motor is if they're not done.... Theres no warning as such... Boom. Most lads that track them get them done often to start with to get an idea of how often they go out to the use they get then they can kind of predict their own service/valve check schedules based on their usage.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Just to add Bradders this was from extensive posts on the af1 forum that ive followed closely and im only saying just benefit you in compressed form what ive seen over the years on the af1 forum as valve clearances on the v4 is and always has been a hot topic so ive always watched those threads closely.

I think most people that own the rsv4/tv4 seems to expect lots of problems and failures (not sure if thats good or bad) though!

Lads that use them as a track only bike and, do lots of track days seem to get them done between 5 and 8k.

The only real giveaway if the clearances are out is if they become hard to start but that can also be down to electricals (hi flow battery cables being one of them) although a recent cheap and effective fix recently has been to add a heavy cable inbetween the relay and battery - lots have reported good results from that.

At one extreme one lads bike was out, way out at 3k. Mine for example (just done) were mostly ok (3 exhaust were out of spec) which is would say is about right...11k, not used that often but gets a good seeing to at the TT and a couple of times during the year. Allowing for wear ill probably get mine checked again at about 18 to 19k. A bit less than every 12k allowing for wear and tear.

If youre handy then (and if youre garage will do it) you can pull the bike apart to the top of the motor and hand it in (what i did as didnt have the special tools or the knowledge it might add) but for me i cut the price in half as it takes a hour or so to get it down that far. The other thing is if theres a quickshifter added they can and often do lunch the selector dogs but, the V4 motor has a cassette gearbox which can be sitting on your bench inside 4 mins - can be expensive to fix but again, if you do the work and get it out then can hand it to a workshop to overhaul...im on the lookout for one from a newer bike as apparently the newer v4's gearboxes have had changes to make them more reliable...

More often than not the failures that i see are down to people tracking them, they blow and then question the valve check at 12k - ie theirs never made it that far. AF1 admin had said before that even aprilia while honouring warranties will question the bikes usage first.

Fair play if you get a TV4 it wasnt really on my radar when i bought the zed (ive got my rsv4 and didnt want another motor of the same type) but its an addictive motor....my description of it the TV4 is like a 1 litre 350LC. If i had to replace the RSV4 with something else itd probably be another one!

4. I could say all that and more about a 1098 tho tbh. It just has everything: decent ground clearance, APRC, upright, lots of power and torque.

I'll be looking at a road bike anyway and now will factor in a valve clearance check as part of the cost.

A mate has just bought his second one so knows them quite well.

5. Surely all bikes if tracked need valves checked/adjustment more often as the bike will be used much more often at high revs therefore the valves get more use? I'd have thought the service intervals accurate for a broad range of riding including commuting and motorways cruise where revs would be low.

If you were to do 4k rpm for 8k mls on bike A and 8k rpm for 8k mls on bike B then the valves would have been opened and closed twice as much on bike B wouldn't they?

Or am I missing something fundamental?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

6. I think part of owning a bike that is fornyrack use is oil and filter every 2 or 3 Trackdays, valve service every two years, generally more maintenance. :)

What's important is that they start, run and stop consistently ;)

7. I don't think a 1098 SF, even an S, will handle as well as a Tuono off the shelf. You can make them handle as well or better but it'll add £1500 to the budget. The servicing costs of both would be a concern to me on a track bike, hence my suggestion of the Superduke which is half the price of the Ducati to service.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well, my own personal experience of the v4 motor has been nothing short of brilliant, but then, i look after my stuff and tend to carry preventative
    Id say probably torque and going up and down the gears for starters. The other thing is ease of access....my ktm 525 supermoto i can get to the valves from the side of the bike (have to take a side panel off) the RSV needs at least an hour just to get to that point...for someone (im not saying bradders) who knows nothing would have to give his bike to the shop for a full day for them to carry out the work - i think Fowlers (who did mine) clock in at 70 quid per hour....

9. Key is always to have it done in winter when discount labour rates are rife and/or have an independent who you trust to do a great job :)

That's all brands.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information