1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Nitron V Maxton?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by yellowducmaniac, Mar 3, 2024.

1. After doing some research i've narrowed down to 2 the likely replacement for the tired and tatty 27 year old OEM Showa rear shock on my 916Bip, Nitron R1 or Maxton NR4, both are the base models from these companies, I'm not precious about buying something with a yellow spring, just looking for a worthwhile update and i'm led to believe either of these will fit the bill - there's about £150 difference in price between the two, the Maxton being the most expensive. Does anybody have a recommendation or personal experience for which one i should go for?

2. They are both good. Maxton will build one for your weight and the use ie race / fast road / touring.
    I've got a maxton on my 1989 900 supersport. Absolutely changed the bike from a dumpling to a soufflés lol

3. Both are great, I have one of each. The difference between these shocks and an old Showa was more than I was expecting; I'm sure it will be the same for you. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Had fitted a Nitron lowered cartridge kit and rear shock fitted to the 937 Monster, different bike, huge improvement. Andy

5. When you have your new shiny damper fitted, I might be interested in your old Showa.

6. I’ve got something old and used that’s off either an MV or A DUCATI, red spring and would be available free for P&P costs only.
    I am away until Sunday, but can send a pic then.

7. I'm definitely interested in that.

8. I've used both and both are very good but I found the maxton felt better and the back up was good too. If I had to choose I'd go maxton again.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. I'd agree... & the most important thing is getting the spring rate correct and a company's first 'guess' isn't always suitable. This happened with my twin Maxton shocks for the Darmah and a quick email explaining the limited sag I was seeing got them delivering a couple of new softer springs which made a world of difference. Almost to the point you don't even notice it working.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Here are the pics.
    Seems it’s a Sachs from the 2000 MV F4S. Bike has done 8k miles and shock was working fine before I replaced it with a Nitron.
    Happy to donate it if you pay postage.

IMG_6142.jpeg

IMG_6143.jpeg

IMG_6144.jpeg

IMG_6145.jpeg

IMG_6146.jpeg

11. Nitron here....got Nitron R3 and pro cartridges on my zed....for me its durability....my zed is used year round in the worst weather conditions....ironically ill be taking it off (hopefully tonight if i get time - its going back to Nitron for a rebuild and spring change) - its been on there for about 5 years and gone through literally everything...salt, snow, rain, mud the lot....its faired amazing well as well improving the handling obviously..!

#12 comfysofa, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Will be in Spain for Supermoto training and get to this March 23rd.

13. Shock out last night...
    20240311_174713.jpg 20240311_174708.jpg 20240311_174701.jpg 20240311_174625.jpg

Bit of corrosion on the connection to the preload adjuster but after 5 years or everything [from a weather point of view being thrown at it] not bad atall.

• Like Like x 2
  14. wow.. that's in great nick considering.. looks re-furbished... not 5 years of beatdown

15. Yep - thats been through 4 winters of shit and salt.....that being said i clean my bike weekly from top to bottom during the winter months....

It was going to go back to Nitron for the service but i found these guys on the net by accident....phone them and had a chat with the bloke....cheaper and they strip it completely and ultrasonic clean it [3 times] and send you pics of the rebuild stage along with their own custom valving service they offer...

https://raceshocks.uk/

#16 comfysofa, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information