1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No 400 SS Juniors ?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by tricolore, Feb 27, 2013.

1. I remember years ago in 1991 I think seeing a 400SS Junior in Birmingham Motorcycles....at the time it was very appealing to me being fairly new on the bike scene, looked like a big bike but with a smaller engine and affordable price.

Where are they now ? see loads of 600's, 750's etc but no 400 Juniors.

Does this make them a rare model or just a model that never took off in the UK ?

2. The 400ss is very rare, they only made 600 and something of them, and most ended up in Japan. I'd love to get hold of one, or a morini 350 dart.

3. Why ? what benefits over other models ? lighter ? revvier ? rare ?

4. had a late one up until last summer a real treat to ride with far more character than a 600 (for me). I was worried about ruining the engine more than anything as you had to use all it had to make it entertaining. With a factory red line of 11,000 rpm it made a glorious sound.

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/f21/1991-400ss-1749/

5. Just rarity value really. The reality is the 600ss is a better bike. Small displacement bikes tend to be very sweet engines though.

A Kawasaki KR1-S must be the next garage addition though.

• Like Like x 1

6. it's always going to be a matter of opinion and of course the 600 has a more powerful engine but having owned both I would keep the 400 over a 600 everytime - it was a little gem.

7. Just finding one would be something. One on 'the list' for sure.

8. I think the main reason for the 400cc Japan was to meet licensing laws as you need to take one test to ride up to 400cc and a further, quite difficult and very expensive test to ride anything over 400 cc.

Quite a few for sale on the GooBike website, although the website is in Japanese, the Ducati listings are after BMW, and the listings are by model, eg 400F3.

If you really wanted one I'm sure the dealer could help export, if there is someone who works there that speaks English.....Or you speak Japanese!

#8 Mr Bimble, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. They turn up on Ebay in Australia 2-3 times a year. Most have low mileage and most are imports from Japan.

Steve

10. Aren't they just a 600 with a sleeved barrel?

11. See a few for sale here in NZ as well.

12. According to Ian Fallon, there were 2,481 400SS models made. 285 went to Europe, mainly Italy, 20 went to Australia and all the rest went to Japan. Even rarer was the 350SS of which only 852 were built for the Italian market.
    There was also a Monster 400, of which 300 went to Saudia Arabia and 941 to Japan. They were not a sleeved down 600. The 400's bore and stroke were 70.5mm x 51mm as opposed to the 600's 80mm x 58mm. The 350 was 66mm x 51mm.

• Like Like x 1
  13. At around the time the smaller capacity bikes were manufactured, the Japs had legislated a maximum capacity of 400cc for all motorcycles on their roads and during the driving test, the rider had to be able to pick up the bike if it had fallen over.

God knows why they ever produced the Kawasaki 1000 RX.........Although I was not a weakling by any means, I am 5'-6".....b*ggered if I could pick mine up, bl**dy top heavy as hell.

AL

14. I was all excited on Wednesday night........I'd found a brand new, yes 4 miles on the clock never been registered 1991 400 Junior For Sale. Now how do you value, make an offer on something like that !!! Won't tell you how much I offered but I thought it was reasonable considering how much you could potentially buy a second hand one for and comparing against a mint 600/750 or 900SS.

Anyway the guy wants 5 figures for it ..... think I'll buy an SP5 instead. Hate to think how much he wants for his brand new 1991 851 Strada.

15. Not too bad if it was in Japan and the seller wanted Yen :smile:.....Mind you, the way the pound's going that may not be the case much longer....

16. Fank-oo

AL.

17. If only I had the space......

The timing is terrible, a month later and I'd very seriously be interested in this bike.

#18 philoldsmobile, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  18. I have 400 monster which runs the early 400 ss engine.
    they are completely different to a 600!
    want to zip everywhere .
    yes you do have to give them some welly to go as well.
    im easy on mine as I want him to last!
    very underpowered .
    but Quirky and very revvy.

I love my little one but if your used to bigger bikes and speed.
    im afraid the little ones novelty may wear off most.
    yes sleeved down.

I have had several grey import japs over the years.
    I like them :)

19. a description of it's predecessor (very similar performance but another well-needed gear) :- Ducati 400SS Junior

Do Not Sell My Personal Information