1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No 400 SS Juniors ?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by tricolore, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Unbelievable - Never seen one before and then this pops up the minute I start a new thread. Look Interesting !!

I thought the Junior was a sleeved down 750 as the 600SS didn't appear until 1994, all the same thing I guess.

2. According to Ian Fallon and as reported by Derek's post above, the 400 was not a sleeved down 600 and had its own bore and stroke dimensions.
    Have you measured yours Hellcat?

3. yes ^ I don't know why it hasn't 'gone in' on here as Derek has already posted.. this is not a cobbled up engine derived from a larger capacity unit.

4. Did all SS's have the same diameter exhausts inc the Junior, ie all interchangeable ?

5. mine was the same sizes as a 600 and single exit. I'm surprised they weren't all this spec not only for the weight saving on such a low-output engine but the also because the sound at 11K was something to be witnessed.

6. Just found this and know this is an old thread, but do I get bragging rights now??

7. yes

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Do you regret selling yours Chris?

9. In some ways yes, but at least it's with an owner that's using it regularly whereas a lot of mine just sit plus I know for certain I would have ruined the engine if I had ridden it regularly for another 3 months. For me it was similar to a good small 2-stroke engine as the enjoyment came from using it to within an inch of it's life and try as I might, I always ended up giving it a good laruping right up to 11K most of the time when fully warmed up of course. I changed the oil twice as frequently as the risk was obvious. Get prepared for eating clutch plates too (far more than a 600 even) unless you only plan to pootle about - also, you probably picked it up, but don't be alarmed if you find a flat-spot at around mid-range as they all did it - not surprising considering the size of the carbs. Can't praise them highly enough, they are little gems and apart from the aforementioned mandatory engine revs and clutch, nothing is over-stressed compared to the larger versions. Low speed mid-corner confidence was also the best of them all as well - better stop there - i'm sure you will enjoy it :upyeah:

10. Thanks Chris, I'm almost there, just need starter brushes, throtle cables and a good service, plus the odd bits and bobs. It will be used regular, going to use it to get to work on. I try to use the 750 once a week at least, even if its just 5 mile run. Having two will give me an excuse for more ridding time:upyeah:

11. I've got one in the garage with 4000 odd kms on it. I'll go take some photos now :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. That's a very nice bike Amentia. One thing I see its an "L" reg, I belive is 93/94, but yours is the older modle to mine and mines a 92 Jreg. How has that happened? Very clean, do you use it much?

14. Blimey !! according to the Ian Falloon Belt - Drive / Two Valve Twins Restoration Guide it says:

One of the more unusual Ducati's of this period was the Japanese market 400 SS Junior of 1989. Constructed at the request of the Japanese distributor Murayama, this was very much a parts bin special, with a few developments that hadn't appeared on previous Ducati's. It is unlikely that anyone outside Japan will encounter these unusual motorcycles, a small number was exported to Australia via Japan in 1991. They deserve documenting because they were still genuine Ducati's. Total production for 1989 and 1990 was 641.

How did it end up in the UK ?

PS: Looking at the pictures in the book it should have round mirrors from the early 851 apart from that it's exact, it's as rare as ............... I like it, a lot.

15. We bought the bike from one of my dad's old friends last year. He had the bike since it was first registered in 93.

The bike was originally displayed at Ducati's headquarters in Japan, in a glass box. It was then imported to the UK, and our family friend bought it. He registered the bike and put 4000km's on it. Early last year, we were visiting him and we saw the bike in the corner of his workshop, looking like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We dug it out, gave here a service and cleaned her up.

16. There was one of these being broken on ebay, it was in I Clacton I think. Its the same as the 750 sport, which my 750 SS has the engine from. It would seem all these early SS were from the what ever was laying round the factory period of 89 to 91.

17. I did wonder about that. I have seen some with the mirros you describe, and ive seen a couple of others with the mirrors I have. I don't know which ones are the right ones, or maybe the had both?

Ducati Oddity: 1991 Ducati 400 Super Sport Junior | Rare SportBikes For Sale

18. [​IMG]

Great history of how you came about the bike. The book shows this type of mirror, from the same era I guess..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Were they the same mirrors used on some Gagiva's?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information