1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT No Central Stand And No Front Paddock Stand. How To Do It?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rover, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Although I have a front headstock stand I reckon that with suitable weight on the rear of the bike, (overloaded top-box) to positively lift the front wheel, you would be able to remove the front wheel. Would be an idea, for the sake of safety place some sort of supporting chock under the engine.

Managed this a few weeks ago but using my headstock stand in conjunction with the centre stand instead of rear weight. This was on gravel so the centre stand did dig in a bit. I was fearing having to remove the mudguard as I did on my MV Turismo using the same technique but didn't have to. Front wheel came out fine though the wheel to calliper clearance was beyond tight, use gaffer tape to protect your rims and work the pistons back and forth to open them up so you can get them out. This might not be an issue on the base model but the S has larger diameter discs.

[​IMG]

This headstock stand is from Ghostbikes (link in my post above), I also bought the 27mm pin, the set of pins included with the stand didn't go up to this size.

The stand might be up to the task of holding up the bike along with my rear paddock stand, an R&G through the spindle model, i.e. not using the centre stand, but I don't think I could bring myself to trust it TBH.

#21 Bumpkin, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. I just ride it to FWR and they take the wheels off and change the tyres for me :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. That’s how I did mine (heavy tool box and top box filled on to hold rear down) as I dont have a rear stand that fits. Was a bit dodgy tbh when lifting the front, but my stand I used was under the forks so lifted far higher (yours is just clearing the gravel) like by a couple of inches.

4. My stand is adjustable and I had it set that way so it didn't tip the bike back far enough to lift the centre stand off the deck with the rear wheel touching down. That wouldn't have ended well o_O

5. ABBA superbike stand with the front wheel lift attachment easy and secure

• Like Like x 1
  6. I probably would go for the centre stand. Can't see the price on ducati website but if I remember well where I saw before it was over£250.00 (not fitted). I hope I am wrong. Will pop at P&H and see if I still can get a good discount.

7. That's where I buy my tires for the past 6 years, but always took loose rims to them. On the multi, specially the front wheel, I am not sure would trust the right sequence of loosen and re tightening would be done right.

8. I've never been able to get a Multistrada on a center stand on my own it's particularly scary getting it back of the stand especially if it's leaning away from you

9. Hi bradders, I think it will. Just need to push the back to the ground and secure the front from somewhere. In that case, as I mentioned, the beam in my garage isn't strong enough to lift the whole weight using straps, but using a centre stand is just a case of balancing.

10. One that can lift the whole weight with the rear stand in? The front stand from Constand to be pair with my rear one costs about £75. That's why I am spending some thought about fitting a centre standing now. Dreaming that I can find a centre stand to fit myself, for around £100. :thinkingface:

11. Hi hawkster,

On the multi? Do you jack up the front from the engine? Thinking if there is an area under the belly pan where you can do this, isn't much stress on bolts and frame pushing the whole weight from there?

12. One of the loses on the DVT was the removal of the handle. It made centre stand use so much easier

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. What you can do, if you have a few bits laying around like axle stands, is as Bumpkin and other said weight the rear down, so if lifts the front then pop the axle stands under the fork bottoms. Recommend something to stop the stand marking the fork leg :upyeah:

There’s loads of ways, but they need a bit more care when walking around a bike that’s essentially left on ‘blocks’ (go forbid the weighting on the seat gets knocked off!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Paddock stands are a pain in the arse to store, but pretty useful when it comes to changing wheels.

I haven't tried changing a front wheel using the centre stand, but I'd be a bit nervous if I did. Two stands has the bike stable and unlikely to topple over.

If you do use a front under fork paddock stand, don't forget to loosen the pinch bolts and remove the wheel nut, as you might struggle with access.

15. I've done this on other bikes and it works fine. I believe the small block of wood relieves stress of Jack pad on engine as it's soft and deforms a bit.

16. Either hang on hooks at back of the garage/shed, or place side on under the engine when parked up.

A stand lifts the front a lot (most do) so is very dodgy with just centre stand (lifts it off ime on multi) so better to block the front wheel up just clear from the ground (hence rear seat ballast)

17. Hi @Rover
    IMHO, if you already have a rear stand (hopefully a good one), then buy a front stand..a good solid one that has a triple clamp pin.
    Had you not have a rear stand, I would have suggested a center stand.
    Having the ability to raise both wheels off the ground will pay for itself in no time for tire changes.
    Moreover, get your wheels off the ground for winter storage.
    Maybe you guys don't have to but here in the western white world, we have to.

#38 DarR, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Hi DarR,

Thanks,
    Yes, that's what I did after same line of consideration of yours. Rear one is a Constand. Found it very good quality and never had issues with the right adaptor when you select the bike model in their website, so ordered a headstock one from same manufacturer. From the past few years we didn't have severe winter down here in the South, so never been over two weeks in the garage, even though I always did what you mentioned with previous bike, lifting both tires from cold concrete. With the multi, lifting the rear and put a piece of carpet under front one.

19. How does keeping the tires off the ground save money on tire changes? 40 years of 5 month winters, never heard of this.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information