1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise Cancelling Headphones?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by The Royal Maharaja, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Hellooo,

has anyone tried noise cancelling headphones under their crash-helmet with any success? Thinking that if this was really effective it would be possible to do away with earplugs? - and music for motorways would be a good thing...

Cheers
    Grant

2. Do noise cancelling earphones protect your hearing though?

3. Good question, they way I understand the technology is that the sound wave frequency and amplitude is matched and the headphone play the reverse amplitude...hence genuinely cancelling the sound wave...so in theory there is no large peaked waves entering the ear canal... I'm no expert though!

Any comments?
    Cheers
    Grant

4. Ceratinly work on airplanes but a bit bulky I would have thought for under crash helmets?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeah, but I've just seen some new ones from the US that are quite compact...hence the Qs!

6. i use them often on flights and have a set of Sennheiser noise cancelling headphone, and i find i do get tired of them and have to take them off so for an extended period i would rather have earplugs in

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I have a pair of Shure 215’s that are similar to in ear monitors, you have to squeeze the foam bit flat like a regular ear plug then they expand to fit.

Ok but are easy to dislodge compared to dedicated plugs as all the weight is in the earphone, and they only cut down on noise, which is disguised to an extent if you have music playing. I only really use these on the way to work as then I don’t have to piss about when I get there and it’s a relatively short journey.

For motorway work I Much prefer using the auritech plugs I also have with music coming from interphone - these are much more secure and seem to cut out the wind noise especially rather than just reducing everything.

8. Not so sure I`d get my Bose`s and melon under my Arai !

9. Been using Bose i20 for years - if the sound cancelings on yes they’re protecting from wind noise (and you don’t have to listen to music for this to work)

They do a strange buffering popping thing depending on how they’re sealed in your ear but I’ve got round this with different size plugs

I find them very comfortable and you don’t have to turn the music up loud to hear (two settings so background noise similar to ear plugs )

Great for work to block out the numpties to ;p

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Noise cancelling headphones for blocking numpties should be standard equipment in offices, and should come under H&S regulations.

11. Agreed - hate open plan at work as it’s really small and someone has a conversation over me at least 6 times a day - I do leap up now and again and shove my chair towards someone’s shins shouting ‘I need the loo’. Makes the tosses move ;p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Pulled the trigger on Bose QuietComfort 20 In-Ear Headphones I'll update with a review....as I have been using very good Ear plugs (to reduce noise) for years due to necessity!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Probably too late sorry but if you go to one of their outlets (one in Portsmouth ) you can get 20% off

14. No worries got a really good deal online.

Cheers
    Grant

Do Not Sell My Personal Information