1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Exausts

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by xander296, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Just out of curiosity @Fire3500... Was that at Italia?

2. So does this new MOT apply to all bikes regardless of age? I mean if I have a pipe that passed when it was made does it not still pass, bit unfair if not

3. I wouldn't want to incriminate the tester and I use a few test stations depending upon who can fit me in on the day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’ve got a Scorpion Serket end can on my Scrambler, both baffles fitted, it’s not excessively loud but is at least twice as loud as the standard set up, a few nights ago I was riding past a farm with a concealed entrance (the farm had a concealed entrance I mean, I wasn’t carrying a concealed entrance with me), there was a tractor waiting to reverse out, the driver was looking back over his shoulder and clearly waiting for me to pass, I’ve always taken the “loud pipes save lives” thing with a pinch of salt, however I’m now convinced that at least in quiet environments like the countryside it’s a lifesaver, just nipping out on my 900ss, now that is bloody loud!, I’ll be safe as houses:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. I'll let you all know. Hyper has been off the road for 4 months. Got the engine back today so when it's built back up it'll be getting it's sc project full race system remitted....I plan to not put in the baffles if I can avoid it...

I think the mot finished last month...

I might be at an advantage as the lad that mots my rsv4 ( with a full akra system ) think it " sounds fucking awesome " so I'm hoping for good things...

#25 comfysofa, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  6. Don't know if or when new rules were applied, but my Diavel with full Termis on has passed twice no probs, last time in Oct 17. The tester has 'no issue' with loud pipes apparently. Maybe things have changed since then, I know I have changed my bike and I don't really miss the VERY loud but nice noise !!. BTW if anybody needs a set of Diavel baffles for full termis, I have a set virtually unused as I didn't mind the noise. Dunno if the fit the slipon tho, rare as hens teeth so I'm told...

Stuart

7. You want a quiet day, perhaps a cuppa with your tester or so afterwards and your baffles and a 10mm spanner in your pocket for the ride home. You don't want DVSA ruining a good thing. Over a cuppa "you may well have removed those baffles" after testing.

8. I had my 1198S tested in June - it has "slash-cut" termis without baffles and it passed without comment (just as well because I don't have the baffles!). I've only had the "Exhaust's a bit noisy" advisory once, a few years ago, at a big Honda main car and bike dealer.

Update - just back from getting the 851 SP3 MoT'd. Has the original "silencers" without baffles (they're tack-welded in at the factory, and on my bike were removed years ago). Passed without comment.

#28 AndrewS, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  9. Just MOTd my Multi this week.Leo Vince Link pipe and Termi stubby
    Tester made comment on exhaust changes , passed it but reckoned other locations may have had a problem with it.

10. This is an extract from the new rules:

8.1 Noise
    8.1.1 Exhaust noise
    If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

It isn't possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle isn't clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition.

Defect Category
    1. Exhaust noise levels in excess of those permitted
    Major

And This:

6.1.2 Exhaust system
    You must inspect all motorcycles with an internal combustion engine, including hybrid motorcycles.

A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole doesn't justify rejection.

Exhaust noise is assessed under Section 8.1.1.

Defect Category
    1. Exhaust system leaking or insecure
    Major
    1. Not in use

1. An exhaust silencer marked ‘NOT FOR ROAD USE’, ‘TRACK USE ONLY’ or similar words
    Major

My tester says he won't rev the engines in his workshop - Health and Safety applies: Damage to hearing and fumes.
    AL

#30 Arquebus, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. The KTM has got to go in this month. Already got to swap my headlight bulb out for the oem for the test. The cats were in the end pipes on my bike so now I have akras it’s basically a full system. I have baffles so will take them along.

My tester is quite fair and reasonable so expect no issues. Does make me wonder about all these new euro compliant bikes as they seem really quiet as oem.

12. After running for a few months with the baffles out of the Akropovic system on my bike, I’ve put them in. Why? Because I’ve decided I’d rather not be an obnoxious irritant to the majority of folk I come in to earshot of. Bikes and bikers have enough folk against them without unnecessarily creating more.

I’m a biker, I love the sound of a bike, I love the sound of my bike, but excessive bike noise, often where it’s least appropriate, pisses me off. So if it pisses of someone who’s part of the group, it probably seriously pisses off those that aren’t.

And the evidence is it does. I live about a mile off the A32, well known biking territory and noisy bike territory at that. Sat in the back garden, a good mile away, I can hear bikes going for it up and down the road. The result though is there’s now a very active lobby group incorporating many of the villages up and down the A32 advocating against excessive noise and speeding and they have political support.

Two options probably...

1) head in sand, ignore, carry on as is and in due course be legislated and prosecuted into submission.

2) appreciate that noise is an issue and, as group, be more responsible about it.

I’d like to think we could achieve 2, but in reality it will almost certainly be 1.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. I have the race termi on the Scrambler without baffle, it’s quite loud, missus always has the garage open for me as she can hear me coming home :) I was gonna sell the road legal termi slip on but think i’ll Hold on to it just in case

14. It's said loud pipes saves lives, no more crashing in to the garage door for you!
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Quote Masklin
    1) head in sand, ignore, carry on as is and in due course be legislated and prosecuted into submission

You’re right Masklin, unfortunately it will be No1, some bikes are so loud that it’s actually painful, I followed a Harley last year and had to overtake as it actually hurt my ears!, (a friend has a 1800cc Harley with Vance & Hines, utterly ridiculously loud but he thinks it’s good), my 900ss is loud since fitting Carbon silencers, I’m going to make/fit longer baffles, the ones that came with the cans are 1 inch long, so are effectively exit reducers rather than baffles,it’s not too bad at a steady speed or accelerating but when you throttle off it’s BLAAAR!, this morning going for a 7am ride I pushed it 50ft from my house, rolled down a hill and fired it up as it rolled to cause minimum disruption to the neighbors, some bikers seem to think upsetting people with ridiculously loud pipes is funny, it’s not, it’s childish and selfish, that said a reasonably loud exhaust I.e not whisper quiet should be tolerated by non bikers provided it’s not for an extended period of time, in the same way that we tolerate lawn mowers or strimmers etc, this will all be fixed when we move to electric bikes of course , the only issues we’ll have then is running pedestrians over because they haven’t heard us, or having even more cars pull out in front of us for the same reason!.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. can somebody copy the article please and share as I'm not a subscriber to the times.

With respect to noise, I personally love a loud bike. however, in my double standards way, I think small 125 singles sound rubbish and twins sound incredible on beyond loud. I'll never be offended by a Ducati or harley however loud it is. Fours however, I like to bark but not be excessive.

Just from the caption image in the article, to me this isn't about the bikes being loud, it's about riding inappropriately and dicking about to the offence of other road users. It's about some poor bloke pootling in his Sunday wagon and facing a bike coming on his lane round the bend whilst overtaking the last pootling bloke.

This is about riders being insincere and inconsiderate as they rattle through a small village as if it was the TT.

Cyclists are no less obnoxious, they just don't announce their arrival until the peloton of social riders mans that you might as well be stuck behind herding sheep for the next two miles, or the inconsiderate spitting as you overtake.

Once again, ramblers and middle class elite ae just kicking off. Doesn't say anything about the stupid 4xWhore who barrels down the country lane as if it was her driveway, not giving a damn that her spunk tank is wider than the ark royal - but cannot fathom why all these selfish people coming the other way are not moving out the way.

The last thing the ramblers and walkers ever want is a traillie parping away over the green lanes, its bad enough having those disgusting off road cyclists to deal with.

Stuff like this rears its head every time the yah's need a sounding board. Fine.

But where's my voice and supporters when some dopey self important self entitled idiot decides to walk into my bike while I'm at stand still idling because she couldn't be arsed to look up from her phone to even cross the road?
    (really happened!)

• Like Like x 2
  17. It’s all very well whinging about other groups if it makes you feel better, but that won’t stop your own being targeted for action.

Bikers can do something or do nothing. If the nothing option is chosen, something will be done for them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Thats fine then. All it takes is a legislation change and its done.

All you will need to do is start lobbying your mp to make it happen. Enough weight behind it and it will change.

I would even go as far as writing to the councils concerned and advocate road cushions or bumps as a calming measure since they work well in towns.
    Also mandatory restriction might be an idea as well, as nobody actually needs that much power in any vehicle.

With brexit looming we dont have to abide by UNECE vehicle regulations anymore.

Lets be proactive as a motorcycling community and advocate ourselves the introduction of these measures.

Let me know when you get the petition started and I’ll sign it. :)

19. Bearing in mind I've only read the opening paragraph as I don't wish to subscribe to The Times,
    it looks to me as though they're referring to off road bikes, which is a shame as I've just bought one.
    (Standard pipe but I'd love an Akra).

You can bet your boots though that it'd be blanketly applied to all bikes.

Living in 'The beautiful south' I have to do too much filtering on my road bike. I'm a huge fan of the safety the sound of Temignoni's provide. It would be a shame to have that safety element taken away from us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. There’s the problem! You have no empathy at all. Well you’re probably going to have to face up to the fact that there are more of them than there are of you and they are prepared to lobby government for a law change to get their way. Your statement is selfish, just as much as their desire for peace and quiet is. You are just as bad as they are.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information