1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Exhaust? Beware....

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Mary Hinge, Jun 8, 2019.

1. What's the actual numerical noise limit tested on vehicles?

2. Chris Fcuking Grayling.
    Enuff said.
    Jesus wept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I don’t believe that there is one..

4. Another reason to live in Spain added to the list

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wonder if the Racefit Growler I’ve got planned for the new RR will set it off?

6. There are a few bikes that rip up the a46 Painswick, which is a couple of miles away and I can still hear them in the garden. When motox is on, about 5 miles from me, it’s all you hear all day.

Bring on electric :innocent:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. There is one. The EU and UNECE requirement for Type Approval limits larger bikes to 80Db. That’s likely to come down though.

http://www.euronoise2018.eu/docs/papers/174_Euronoise2018.pdf

My stock Monster silencers say ‘This Cagiva exhaust system ZDM-A13 meets EPA noise emission requirements of 80 DBA for model specific code DUC46M0900‘.

8. From the Vehicle Certification Agency........

The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 when the Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations were introduced. New cars are now required to meet Europe-wide noise limits. These have been progressively reduced from 82 decibels (dB (A)) in 1978 to the current limit of 74 dB (A) established in 2016. Information on the level of noise recorded for new models of cars at their type approval test is also listed in the data table available to download here https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/downloads/default.aspx.

When looking at this information please note that off-road vehicles are allowed to be 1dB (A) louder and wheelchair accessible vehicles or armoured vehicles are allowed to be 2 dB (A) louder.

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle types. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

A new EU regulation was introduced from July 2016, Regulation (EU) No 540/2014, phases in tighter noise limits over 10 years, together with a revised, more representative test procedure. By 2026 the limit for most new passenger cars will be 68 dB(A).

Having read that, I wonder how in hell's name a noise level camera is going to be able to distinguish between varying age vehicles..........

.......of course, it won't.......it will take a photo and some jobsworth will sit there looking at the images to decide the vehicle manufacturer and age against the registration plate.......

...so even an earleir private plate won't help because it is recorded with the DVLA as to what the original vehicle is.

Unless of course the new levels are retrospectively applied to older vehicles, meaning new exhaust systems all round.

9. The camera thing is toss...However is see nothing wrong with there being some kind of enforced db limit for road vehicles.
    I f*cking hate noisy bastard exhausts!
    upload_2019-6-8_16-2-9.png

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. My Harley is ever so quiet.......

Probably because I have gone a bit deaf......

I wounder why?

Pardon?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. I don’t get this. Either there is a legal noise limit or there isn’t. If there is & a bike gets through its MOT, surely you can’t be doing anything wrong? I had an advisory last year saying “Loud exhaust” well yeah no shit Sherlock it’s a 1098s with a full Termi system but it passed & it wasn't even mentioned on this years MOT?

Confused of Solihull

12. Tis getting just like facebook

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I love those old coffin dodgers with nothing better to do. Like the NWA in Hot Fuzz getting all worked up over the living statue!

• Like Like x 2
  14. For the greater good

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. As someone said above ignore it, it won’t be enforced to any great degree.

16. Cool. :cool: My 1098R has 2 zorsts so I'm sure it won't make over 160Db. :thinkingface: Although it'll be close. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Just pull the clutch in and cruise by on tickover,:upyeah:
    Its strimmers , lawnmowers and leaf blowers that piss me off, leave the rest of us alone and bring i noise limits for them !

• Like Like x 1
  18. If he throws his hat into the leadership competition ring...

He’ll miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yes, the sound from a bike is gone in a minute or so. In summer lawnmowers and other garden machinery can go on all day. Then there are contracters with stonesaws. Pneumatic drills etc. Bah!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Its the noise from old duffers moaning and groaning that does my swede.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information