1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Exhaust? Beware....

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Mary Hinge, Jun 8, 2019.

1. well I did it! then I felt really bad, so I resuscitated him, give or take a few faculties, hes no different. He knows he did wrong now, and if he doesnt, he never will. Win win.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. effectively, yes, I would beat them, then give them bonuses for convictions, with the biggest bonus for the largest offences, imagine, actually chasing scum with pounds in their eyes, and actually investigating crimes instead of dishing out numbers for your insurance claim. hmmm :thinkingface:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 18.26.09.png

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  4. The obvious response is why don’t they spend their time doing something useful, but I don’t suppose they will, under staffed I guess they are just going for easy targets to make the stats look better.
    On Sunday I went for my usual 7am ride, I push the bike a few yards to a nearby hill, roll down it and fire the bike up on the move, that way nobody gets any sustained noise, I was amused to see one of my neighbours out mowing his lawn!, no noise abatement there then, ironically he is a retired police inspector

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Noise from roads, trains or planes
    Contents
    1. Vehicle noise limits
    2. Noise from roads
    3. Railway noise
    4. Aircraft noise
    5. Further information
    Vehicle noise limits
    There are limits to the amount of noise that vehicles can make on public roads. This applies to all types of vehicles.

In general, larger vehicles with bigger engines are able to make more noise.

Noise limits on tyres
    There are noise limits on tyres and since November 2012 all new tyres are graded and labelled to show how noisy they are.

Modified exhaust systems
    It’s illegal to modify the exhaust system to make a vehicle noisier after it has been ‘type approved’ (checked it meets environmental and safety standards).

The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise.

Print entire guide
    Related content
    Explore the topic

6. So no limits according to the DOT

7. Those guns give you cancer

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. The tools of lazy feckers

9. how the hell do you get out for 7am? I cant even get up at 7am!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Ha, you’re missing the best part of the day by not getting up, hardly any cars around, fresh air, can’t beat it.
    (The trick is don’t drink alcohol and buy an alarm clock :) )

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. I could maybe buy an alarm clock?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. That is plain wrong. Current bikes are homologated at 93dBA. Just about every bike on the road will be exceeding 73dBA. That's whisper quiet. Further homologation tests are carried out under very controlled conditions, in a street there is no control whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. The Panigale V4s that I had for most of yesterday was incredibly raucous for a standard bike, I couldn't believe how this would be legal or for that matter be capable of passing track-day testing.

However, it had an uncanny noise (or lack of it) quirk. At 31 or 32 mph in 3rd gear (not normal, I would be in 2nd but discovered this entering a limit and being lazy) and on a neutral throttle is was if the engine had cut out, practically silent. Easily reproducible. Go either side of that speed-wise an the racket is back, night and day.

This is obviously an exhaust valve and/or it going onto two cylinders (that last one was the dealers explanation). 50km is 31.07 mph... so quite likely a cheat to get it past noise regs? Is this going to lead to similar issues to the VW emissions scandal?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Quiet/flat spots have been part of motorcycle manufacturers specifications since noise regs came in :D

15. Yes, but the huge contrast in db and very narrow targeting on the V4 makes this so obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Agree but from memory 3 dB is double the audible noise, until the regs change it will continue to be 'acceptable'. Maybe the 'dieselgate' ruling can challenge it and spoil everyone's fun :D

17. to put it in perspective 70db is regular street noise, with the said retired policeman's electric saw / leaf blower or lawn mower running in at roughly 100db.

It's a scale which in its simplest form is logarithmic but in reality is influenced by attenuation, refraction and all of that stuff. The BBC article does indeed talk bollocks.

@Mark9 I applaud you not only for getting up and then being out the door by 7am, but also for pushing the thing uphill only to not fire it up until you're rolling.

For my part even if my eyeballs opened at 7am, I know my carcass wouldn't activate itself till at least 9am on a weekend.

18. Ha, I don’t push it up hill, I push it on the level for about 10 yards to the top of a hill, even so I agree it’s very good of me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. This worried me the first time!
    3rd gear, between 31 and 34mph with constant throttle the bike goes near silent, definitely drops 2 cylinders off.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information