1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Coast 500

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Nigel Machin, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Setting off on July 23rd and doing it in 4 days. :motorcycleduc:

Glenmorangie distillery, John o' Groats, Smoo Cave (maybe) and Applecross on the list, apart from that it's pretty open ended as long as I get from hotel to hotel taking in twisties. :)

Any places I shouldn't miss around the coast? :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Just doing some planning tonight. 3 sets of digs to hit, but apart from that, the world's my lobster. :)

A friend has recommended some good routes, so it'll probably get a bit more twisty than this and I'll take a better route up through the borders, but I'm looking forward to it. :)

Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 23.01.13.png

#62 Robarano, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Awesome I would love to do that ride,enjoy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. i would completely miss out glencoe and lochlomand. head down the oban road from ballachulish. hit oban, then lochgilphead, then inveraray then dunoon, get the ferry to gourock, (just turn up) take a right, follow the coast down as far as like then cut a cross to the east when yer ready.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. That might be a problem, I'm staying in Glencoe. :confused:

6. glencoe village? in which case you aint far from the oban road. honestly, as nice as it is, it can be a real durge this time of year. at the end of glencoe theres a village called tyndrum, take a right there and you can head back to oban from there, or, hit dalmally, take a left for inveraray, then hit dunoon from there. trust me. its a belter.

7. Cheers, to be honest. I haven't plotted anything from Glencoe back to home, so I'll look into a good route back down. At the moment, it's just taken me the most direct route. :upyeah:That's that part I've not planned anything in at the moment.

8. coolio, well, there's some suggestions for you. i would maybe consider going to tarbert lochfyne, get the ferry to portravadie, (just turn up) and head down to dunoon from their, on argyls secret coast. that was the run i did today for the first time. stunning, scorchio, but little traffic.

#68 finm, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. @Robarano listen to the Scottish man. He knows his stuff up there!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Thinking of selling my car. The NC500 would be a last hurrah! I'd like to visit a few distilleries up there as I find them fascinating. I don't mind the odd shot of whisky either :yum

11. I'm booked in to do the Glenmorangie tour. Also one of the places I'm staying at is a Gin distillery. :yum

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  12. The Glenmorangie tour! Heard about that. Do you get a few shots along the way? Hope so :) Wonder if I'll have the tour guide in a headlock before the end :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Not sure, but it's only about 45 mins into my second day, so that would set me up nicely for that day's riding. :yum

14. Ha ha, sure would.

'wonder if I can do standy up wheelies' :scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Good advice from @finm and, instead of sticking to the A837 south from Unapool take the coast road by Drumbeg to Lochinver then through Inverpolly estate towards Achiltibuie turning back to the main road a few miles north of Ullapool. The views are unbelievable, you won't regret it.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 09.41.47.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. i thaught i had done most on the west coast. but still so much to see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  17. Cheers Derek, looks great. :) :upyeah:

18. My 2nd night is in Drumbeg, the 3rd night in Glencoe. I'm sure I can find an awsome route down, but any advice is welcome. :) :upyeah:

19. clachaig or kingshouse?. the clachaig has a nice bar full of horney hill walking totty.

20. Neither. :confused: I could have a ride over to them. :innocent:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information