1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norton Deposit Info, It's Demise & It’s New Owners

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by John W, Oct 16, 2018.

1. If there is any truth to the thread thus far, I'm glad I put the deposit on my Credit Card, I'm double rubbered up in case.

2. I've still not seen people talking about these bikes on the web, and not seen any evidence of someone actually using one other than the od celebrity photo.

3. But that doesn't mean the company is folding though..I know folk who buy up rare/exotic motorcycles as future investments, gambling on the fact that it's a better long-term interest rate than the standard Coutts account

4. Saw one on the road at the weekend. Paul Hollywood Rode his over to Laguna
    IMG_20190331_083759.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. It was on the side of the road 10 mins later though as I went past in the car... Didn't look like the kind of spot you pull over for any reason other than a breakdown o_O

6. @JH_1986 He probably had to take an important call from Mary Berry ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I won't post the link, but there is a interesting article from 2012 regarding some of the practices happening at the time in the factory, and issues with customer deposits. Now it was a long time ago and I'm sceptical that they would still be around if things hadn't improved but what's interesting is that MCN were found to have been aware of the issues and the financial struggles yet chose to omit all of it from their publications as they didn't want to add fuel to the fire.

Recently they seem to be the only publication to have reviewed it and gave it an overwhelmingly positive review. I can't help though but feel that even with a dedicated and hard working team the bike would have been a little rougher round the edges than reported, and if it genuinely is that good then I take my hat off to them, I just don't know if I trust the link with MCN or what MCN report and keep hidden.

I want them to suceed, I really do, I'm absolutely in love with the supersport, but wonder if the way forward might actually be to do a VAG style link with Ducati or Aprilia or even KTM and be a low volume subsidory brand leveraging the experience and might of a larger factory. Afterall nobody ever says that a Bugatti is 'just a fancy VW'...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. A Bugatti is just a fat Audi TT

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bubble, check the terms on your card. Depending on when you paid you might find the cover expires before you try to make any claim.
    This is especially true if its a debit card rather than credit card.

Paul Hollywoods FE was for sale in the dealers just north of Gloucester tail end of last year. Only had ~78 miles on it from what I recall. I have a feeling it could still be there too.
    I hope whatever reason he stopped was nothing serious.

That makes for a very interesting picture - V4R next to the V4SS :cool:
    The SS looks lovely but mine is a long way off, and I could have an R much sooner to actually ride through the summer.

Phil, I know what you mean regarding MCN. From memory it did say fuelling was a little off, but at the end of the day that is likely only a map issue.
    Twatter was showing pics of McGuiness testing that were copyrighted mcn, but I don't see anything about it on their web site yet.

10. A fat, faster Audi TT ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. A fat faster and uglier Audi TT.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. @John W Thanks for the heads up will check..credit so should be fine. I have a friend with an inside line so will see what I can find out

13. The bike McGuinness as testing the other day might well be a 1200 which they were planning to enter at the NW200 until Norton were told it's not eligible.

14. Myself and another guy had a V4SS on order,having been lied to incessantly we are now involving the courts with winding up orders sent to Norton.They have less than 3 weeks to pay up or it’s in the hands of high court.I know there is history with Norton and late orders etc.Its a shame for the Norton brand and its employees.Stuart Garner has no respect for his customers or their money he is using.If he just told the customer honest reply’s to questions instead of lies none of this would happen.When you have 44k sat in his bank/or not it can be worrying.I would say Paul Hollywood had one of the first twelve.In December Norton showed a photo and press release of the 1st twelve owners collecting their bikes.That was bullshit as they actually received them in March as in December they had no fluids in them and hadn’t been pdi’d.I am gutted I won’t ever receive one of these bikes as it was a dream of mine and that dream was soured by Stuart Garners lies.At the end of the day that 44k is my life savings and that comes first.I will be looking at ordering a V4R when I get my 44k back.

#75 Christopher Lang, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. At the London bike show, I picked up a Nortn V4 brochure as an on going joke for a mate.

Walking round at the show, two guys saw the pamphlet and warned me off from giving my money to a crook and a liar.

They were quite vocal about it.

16. A real shame if this is the case, as explained above. I love the Dominator, it's a really beautiful bike... same with the Superlight. I hope something good comes from it all. :(

17. Ironically, ITV4 is repeating the Henry Cole programme about the history of Norton at 8 o’clock tonight. Andy

18. I am not in the motor trade but thinking a little bit into it.
    Let's assume it takes 30 million pounds to develop* a competitive superbike manufactured in relatively low numbers. (not talking about 3-4 race bikes ready for TT)
    *frame, engine, testing,homologation, manufacturing machinery/ assembly lines + supplier chain and so on...
    They have to sell at least 500 units priced at £60,000 to raise the monies spent.
    Assuming they make £15,000 margin on each bike they have to sell 2000 units to recover the investment.
    In the meantime they need to invest a large part of the monies made for developing futher models or come out with a new model after 3 years.
    The figures just don't add up....
    I believe the only way ahead for a small superbike manufacturer would be to buy engines from a big company...or stick to less performance orientated bikes.

19. Well there is the big licensing deal of their 650 twin to the Chinese... that presumably contributes a good amount of revenue, but mightn't offset their ambitious production capacity increase plans. I know that a hungry company should not be short of ideas and should in fact be short of cash but I agree that the maths to an outsider do not appear to immediately add up.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information