1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norton Deposit Info, It's Demise & It’s New Owners

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by John W, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Interesting point @Pete1950
    Yes it's entirely possible the v4 will die, and just the 650 models be revived. That would certainly make more financial sense.

Badge engineering is also a possibility, and may well appeal to the eastern markets, where they predominantly sell already. Not so sure it will appeal in Europe, unless of course the price is right, and I would assuming buying the name is to potentially open up this market for them.
    There were a bunch of Indian bike manufacturers at eicma last year I had never heard of. Putting a known name on them may cause people to at least give them a second look.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Hmmmmm, maybe a single cyl diesel? With a big hand crank sticking out the side!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Nice!
    E3A90D98-F89B-466B-9F1E-5ECAF9878A5B.png

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. I think this looks rather promising with talk of keeping manufacture and management in the UK and they are looking to fulfill existing orders.

From MCN;
    Norton's new owners will fulfil outstanding orders
    Norton Motorcycles has been sold to Indian motorcycle giant TVS Motor Company in a £16million cash deal that will see manufacturing remain in the UK, while those who paid deposits will finally receive their bikes.
    Under the agreement, a subsidiary TVS Motor Company has acquired Norton, as well as a licence to occupy the existing manufacturing premises for the next six months, after which they will build a new factory in the UK. Speaking exclusively to MCN, Sudarshan Venu, Joint Managing Director of TVS told us their first aim is to rebuild the brand.
    "The most important thing for us is to build on Norton’s legacy and restore it to its original glory," said Venu. "We want to delight customers around the world and take Norton into the future."
    What next for Norton?
    Administration aside, the acquisition ought to propel Norton’s growth by leveraging TVS Motor Company’s global reach and supply chain capabilities, as well as tapping into the firm’s huge resources and manufacturing scale.

They intend to continue with the current range including the Commando, Dominator and V4 models as well as bring new bikes to market including the upcoming 650cc parallel twin Atlas models.

"We will stay at the current premises for six months but look to move after that," added Venu. "We have strong connections to the Midlands, having worked with the Warwick Manufacturing Group since the 1980s. We have a technical centre in Warwick that already has 40 TVS staff and we will look to build on that."

As part of their takeover TVS confirmed all of the current staff will be employed in the takeover as will the design team although former CEO Stuart Garner will be no part of the new business. To get things going as quickly as possible they have already appointed an interim CEO formerly of Land Rover and Harley-Davidson who has already visited the factory ahead of an imminent return to production.

Five year plan
    But TVS do not intend to turn Norton into a high-volume brand. "We will continue to build the current range, which is the core of Norton and focus on large capacity machines," said Venu.

"Hopefully we will expand globally and perhaps build more plants around the world. We hope to restart building as soon as possible but there are issues to work with considering the company’s recent challenges. As long as parts meet the quality and Norton-ness of what is needed, we will work with those brands to make it a reality."

"I have always loved the craftsmanship and the unique British design. It has a tremendous charm and an enormous legacy. While TVS now owns Norton, and it’s very much a part of TVS, we want to ensure Norton has its own legacy, its own brand, its own identity and its own management in the UK.

"We want to cater to the people who really value Norton and we will do whatever is needed to ensure that the customers of Norton get the best bikes. Norton is in a safe pair of hands."

• Like Like x 2
  5. It's MCN writing about Norton, so you'd always be wary, but that sounds excellent, hard to see how it could be better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. It's like Ian Brady giving Beverly Allitt a reference.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. If it’s anything like Ricoh manufacturing in the UK back in the eighties all the manufacturing they ever did in Telford is put Ricoh stickers on the photocopiers. All so they could get grant aid from government.

8. Even if the engine and key parts are made in India and the assembly and finishing is back in the UK; it'll be a vast improvement on the previous company.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Atlas range is their mass market offering

10. Its all well and good for the 'comic' and others to say they will produce bikes very soon, but as some will know most if not all nortons produced had to have a SVA test to be registered presumably because they did not meet current regulations for production bikes. i suspect it will be at least 6 months before anything appears out of the new Norton ownership

11. I thought after reading articles from quoted insiders that parts they were getting were crap and made the whole bike a pile of poo. With no development carried out whatsoever. Or have I miss read all that expose stuff?

12. Tata Motors European Technical Centre is on the Uni site as Ragan is mates with the Principle - I would think they are all mates and the connection with Warwick and their Tech Centre is there also :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. True, and to think I once shook Garners hand, makes me cringe, evil self seeking git.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Anyone staying the course here?

15. Staying the course?

16. Yes mate.

17. If you mean still hanging in and hoping to get the bike that they have been waiting over three years for, then yes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I presume that anyone who had a deposit refunded under the credit card scheme has had their contract voided?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information