1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norton / Ducati Project...... Definately In My Wanted List!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by andyt749, May 2, 2016.

1. Hi ladies and gents, I'm putting this up for a contac of mine Garry Laurence, this needs to be seen, its an awesome project and I cannot think of anyone that wouldnt like the read and photo's
    Enjoy ............

NORTON\DUCATI

This café racer is part of a trilogy of Norton\ Italian café racers which are unique in being the only ones known to exist, it therefore follows there are no points of reference to make things easy. This machine was a long time in the making, turn the clock back to 2011 when I first thought of building it and it took until 2013 to find an engine. I had bought two complete bikes to use the engines but in the end I just cannot break complete motorcycles to build café racers.

I eventually found an engine in Denmark which had been fully restored and looked excellent. I fitted Silent Hectic ignition and 32mm Dellorto carburetors. The only other modification was to change it from left to right gear change. I already had a Norton frame hanging in the garage so it was just a matter of did it fit well having paid a substantial amount for it it was going into the frame one way or another

The engine fitted into the frame with the rear bevel drive cap removed and the front tappet cap just clearing the front down tubes. In addition the swinging arm was way out of line but it was clear to me that it was feasible.

The frame was modified by spreading the bottom rails to pick up on the front engine mounts and increasing the length of the frame by 1 1\2“ to allow front tappet cover to be removed. The top rail also had to be scalloped to allow rear bevel cover to be removed and finally the swinging arm mount was repositioned for correct chain run .

With the engine sitting in the frame I made the engine plates so all cover can be removed for maintenance. The engine has to be fitted with the rear bevel cap removed and fitted once in place. With the engine bolted in the back carburettor fouled the rear frame so I fabricated a new one using an original adaptor. Other frame modifications include machining the rear gusset plates to allow for a balance pipe for the exhaust. Coils mounted on top frame rails under the tank. Ohlin's steering damper mounting. On front down tube.

The front end is a rare item being a large conical hub containing the first disc brake made in the UK made by Rickman. I designed a fully floating disc and coupled it with a magnesium caliper. The forks are again period being metal profile with the top nuts drilled and tapped to allow fitment of Norton Commando clock mounts with chronometric clocks. I machined the front fork mudguard mounts and bracket a lot of work to fit the front mudguard but Rickman use Jubilee clips a no no for me. Thefront end is coupled with my signature swan neck clip-ons and chrome wire headlight brackets.

The rear hub is Ducati with the original brackets machined off and converted to rod operation and smiths speedo drive fitted, vapour blasted and polished, new shoes and bearings etc. The rear end is finished off with a box section swinging arm,Ohlin shock absorbers and chain tensioner.

Bodywork ,tank and seat are all one off designs and custom made which took over seven months, wiring loom and all electrics are again one off designed and made by builder.

Exhaust system is custom made by John Campbell and includes a balance pipe, rearsets are designed by builder and are again one off.

Seat cover made by Viking Vynl to builders specification.

There are no off the shelf parts fitted to this machine all parts have been made or are modified to give the machine a factory finish and balance.

On the road the machine handles like a Featherbedmachine should weighing in at 190 kilos fully fuelled.

Engine: Ducati 860cc V twin

Cam(s): .Bevel drive

Carb(s):32mm Dellorto

Crank: bearing

Clutch: Std

Primary Drive: gear driven

Gearbox: 5 speed

Ignition: Programmable Silent Hektic

Exhaust: Custom made Campbell exhausts

Frame

Norton wideline frame extensively modified.

Modifications: Down tubes spread to allow engine fitment and mounts

Footrest/Hangers: Modified Triumph Daytona foot peg hangers coupled with Barleycorn rear sets

Front End:

Wheel: 18” Flanged alloy rim with Rickman drum/disc

Forks: Metal profile

Yokes: Alloy top / bottom metal profile

Handlebars: Stainless steel swan neck clip ons

Switchgear: modified Clearhorn dip/horn switch

Clocks: Chronomertic speedo and rev counter

Instrument Surround: Norton Commando

Rear End:

Shock(s): Ohlins gas

Wheel: 18” Flanged alloy rim Ducati hub

Bodywork:

Front Mudguard: Manx alloy guard custom brackets

Petrol Tank: Custom made Manx gallon alloy tank

Seat: Custom made Manx alloy seat cover by Viking Vynl

Tailpiece/Rear 'Guard: Manx alloy guard

Other Bodywork alloy side and front panels

Electrics

Main Loom: Custom designed and made by builder

Headlight(s):. 7” Lucas

Tail Light(s): Vincent

Paint:

Colour(s): Fern silver

IMG_0021 [294849].JPG

IMG_0026 [294846].JPG

IMG_0255 [294852].JPG

IMG_0260 [294853].JPG

IMG_0371 [294851].JPG

IMG_0413 [294858].JPG

IMG_0427 [294862].JPG

IMG_0514 [294865].JPG

IMG_0492 [294876].JPG

IMG_0495 [294878].JPG

Norton.Ducati.JPG

IMG_0420 [294857].JPG

• Like Like x 10
  2. A Dorton or a Nucati

3. Ah...... Norcati!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Whatever you call it - it really is one beautiful machine! Well done for the quality of the build and having the imagination to build it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Well, that's gorgeous - worthy of a few awards :upyeah:

6. That is truly awesome.

7. It is , a thing of beauty.

8. what a labour of love,wish i had the talent to do something like that

9. Andy, I thought you might be interested in a Norcati I saw in 2013 at Dijon which was nice but your mate's trumps it no problem

Norcati.JPG

10. That's still nice, I thinks it the highly polished engine and nearly everything handmade that get this one in the top of my ratings..... it has gave me my own thought though, with a bit if tooling and imagination anything is possible, I'm now doing a bit of research for an old Norton/bsa/triumph frame style and a stretta engine combo!, but this could be a lifetime build if it could be done!............... "anything is possible" is my current life model!

11. Norti??

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. beautiful machine.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information