1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Not A 748

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Blah blah, Jul 23, 2021.

1. I really can't believe I am saying this, but this bike has taken the shine off my S2r. I've had the Monster for 5 or 6 years, sorted the suspension and brakes and have happily (ab)used it on the roads around here, surprising a lot of other bigger, faster stuff (old picture)
    [​IMG]
    However it's been in the garage while I played with the new toy but I went out on the S2r last night and it was really weird jumping back on it. It was strange feeling how wide the bars and tank are, how it fell into the slower corners, how easy it it to see where 30mph is on the speedo and stick to it... It is more than fast enough in the real world but the 748 (853?) takes it to the next level while mocking me and my lack of talent.

If you'd asked me a couple of months ago if I would ever sell the Monster, the answer would have been 'no' without question. If you now said I can only keep one, then I'm not sure which it would be (although I think my wrists would prefer the S2r !)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Blah Blah, they need quite a bit of input to get them working but when you get in the groove they are really rewarding to drive. However, this does mean that doing long distances is quite hard work. Pay close attention to your front tyre pressure for road use, there is a tight range for cold tyre pressure between 31.5 and 32.5 psi IME, outside of that range it just does not feel right and results in a vague or slow response. if you find you are sculpting or cupping the edges on the front you need to get the suspension and ride height set up properly and the front preload and rebound eased off. The front needs to be quite soft to allow it to work properly on the road and many bikes are set up with far too much preload and rebound which prevents the forks from working properly. I used to take at least 4 weeks in the spring to get bike fit to ride them properly as they need a lot of core strength to maintain the input levels required. It is an old uncompromising sports bike but is unlike many in the amount of reward you can get for using just a little its capability on the roads.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. take to a ducati track day your love it then.

4. Been a while since I updated this...

I managed to get out over the weekend in the cold and dry, and I got a bit of under-steer from the front on a couple of occasions and ran wide so I'm still not entirely happy about pushing on with the same wild abandon as I would do with the S2r.

The front tyre is 32 psi on the dot and had some warmth in it so I may look at getting someone to go through the suspension settings in the new year as it may be something simple but I'm no suspension guru and don't want to completely stuff it up!

In other news, I'm looking for a mono-posto just because, and different levers for no other reason that they standard ones are silver and a bit flaky and I'd like some black ones. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'll get some more pictures up when it's clean and not dark :D

5. I used to fit pazzo levers on my bikes mate, but to be fair the bike tek ones have been great. ive got them on my pani r too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I bought my mint 748 RS for a lot less than that.....advertised prices are NOT real valuations. I waited patiently and with constant dialogue got the deal done.

• Like Like x 1
  7. and selling to me when your done :blush:

8. Sure, when I can't do this on it any more.....:)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2148.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. Been a while since I updated this but over the last few months it hasn't moved (well, it did, but that was only to get the Buggy out so it doesn't count)

Anyway, I have a mono posto !

[​IMG]

The picture flatters it a bit as there are a few marks here and there but it'll obviously need painting to match the rest of the bike so it doesn't matter. What would be useful are another hinge, seat 'feet' and perhaps even a light bracket (mono or bi-posto) so I don't have to keep swapping them over every time I change it but they aren't desperate.

I already had the seat, it is covered in faded alcantara so that'll need re-doing as well.

(and I have since cut the grass)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Teeth itch much ? (excuse the blurry photo, I was washing the dust off and only had my phone)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why is the triangle on different sides of marchesini ?? The other side is the same, IE different.

Anyway, I managed to get out for an hour with the teenager and we flirted to the South Coast, it sounds like an epic trip but it's only 15 or so miles from North to South as the crow flies though so we took the bendy route.

[​IMG]

I think I need to see if anything can be done about the popping-n-banging on overrun before it either blows the exhaust to bits or scares someone to death, the noise and flames are fun for about 10 minutes but it's loud, too loud. Might need to find someone with a dyno...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Guess the rim stickers are on the wrong sides of the rear wheel...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. But they are one sticker and on the front it's next to the 'i' and on the rear, it's by the 'm', most bizarre...

13. I believe they are handed left/right. Somebody has applied the incorrect sticker to the rear wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The sticker on the other side should have the arrow at the other end of marchesini

15. Just cos it’s there in front of you doesn’t mean it’s right.
    Challenge everything, believe nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Glad that you're enjoying it, Blahblah. It looks like you have a 120/70 front tyre; 120/60 was also an option, so if yours was set up for the lower profile, ride height needs adjusting for the 70 and what you describe as understeer confirms that. But it's an easy fix with these: twiddle the linkage rod - that's what it's for. Note that the lock nut with a groove in is Left hand thread. Use a tape measure from ground to indicator for example and turning the rod, wind the back up 6mm. Test and adjust. I normally keep winding up until it feels like there's a hinge in the middle when you turn, then back it off 2mm. Enjoy.

17. https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1350606

This one has been hanging around like a bad smell for a year.......

18. it is running a 120/70 but I haven't touched the suspension since I had it, I am more used to my S2r which falls into the slower corners so I did wonder if it's just a case of different bikes handling differently - I must admit after going a bit (lot) quicker than previously it did feel a lot more neutral (chicken strips now completely gone on the back) so it may just be me being a wuss :D It is such a capable bike even though my wrists and back don't thank me for buying it ! Random gratuitous picture

[​IMG]

The other issue was on Friday it sounded as though the exhaust was blowing as well, that sort of ticking noise at lower revs but I wasn't sure if it was just because of the new earplugs I was trying (motosafe race alpine) so I checked when I got back.

[​IMG]

2 on the front pipe were a quarter of a turn loose so they got nipped up, I haven't tried it since so I don't know if that's sorted it. There was another random bolt holding the battery thing on that was loose as well and there seem to be a number of bolt holes with nothing in so they'll be investigated and replaced.

The only other thing I thought was how do you even start when changing the belts?? I can barely see the cylinders let alone how to get the covers off without scratching them to bits. It's hard enough on the Monster and they're hanging out in the wind but at least I haven't got to either for a bit.

Still need to change the levers for some black ones and finish painting the mono posto and get that on, oh and looking at options for a hugger / something to keep the rubbish off the shock...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Well, I've owned it almost a year now and it passed the MoT this morning with 2 advisories. The first is for a noisy exhaust (they all do that !) and the second for some play in the rear shock bottom bush.

So what's the best place for bushes (I'm hoping that they're just bushes and not 4 bearings like in the Mito which were a git to change) and how do you actually get the shock out? Can I do it with the exhaust in place?

I have also been playing with the mono-posto and the rear lights don't fit using the bi-posto bracket as they don't poke out of the holes. Is there a difference between 1994 seats and 2000 ones or the mono / bi other than needing spacers (which I have)?

Also the 'home' paint match isn't close enough, the colour is almost there but I can see the difference so it'll be off to the painter to do it properly (or more properly than me!) I did think about some vinyl to try to break it up, and had a bit knocking around so had a play but I'm not a fan. It does look better as a mono though :D

[​IMG]

20. South???

Do Not Sell My Personal Information