1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Not A Good Day

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ben Johnstone, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Im so gutted, could understand if i bought the cheapest one i could find, but didnt bought the best i could find its totally immaculate hard luck i guess

got a ring trip in 6 weeks going to see if i can pick something up in the meantime and sort the duc when ive calmed down, probably over the winter,

lost the love :(

2. sorry to hear this dude hope you get it sorted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. It's never easy to take a kick in the knackers when your much loved pride and joy throws a wobbler and empties some cofters out of the wallet...

But, it is still an amazing thing of beauty that will claw back all if that love you have for it when you've got it sorted and are back in the saddle if it mate ;)

Keep us all posted on how you get on too!

#23 Ben Mallinson, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. This just got me thinking actually...

@Nelson

Does this issue sound anything like the symptoms that you had not so long back with your 1198??

Seem to recall you got to the bottom of your issue and it turned out to be nothing too serious after fearing the worst initially?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mine was just the little bearing in the l/h casing.
    I'd suggest dropping the oil out and checking for uninvited nuggets of precious metals.
    Is this a 2007/8 model perchance?

• Useful Useful x 1

6. I'll drop the oil and sump filter and see what I find.

Thanks

7. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If it is a loud knocking that sounds almost like something is trying to bang its way out from inside the engine i have had that plenty of times, seem to remember mine turned out to be the incorrect map on there. To be honest i have had so many symptoms with my 1198 i can't remember what was relative to what.

Get it to John for a diagnosis. I shipped my bike up to him on a van from Hertfordshire his reputation is so good. After speaking to him on the phone i booked the van and he ultimately saved me from having to buy a new lump.

9. Thanks for the help,

Spoke to John today what an all round nice bloke, hes told me to drop the oil and see what comes out, seems to think the shells have had it though, sounds like an engine apart job is on the cards, but hes more than happy for me to take the engine down to him and said we can both strip it together and asses what the damage is, then come up with a cost, just praying my crank aint shot and can be reworked,

going away in a few weeks so hoping to pickup a bike before then and tackle the ducati in the winter months,

these things happen and im alot less pissed than i was yesterday.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Oil and strainer are out.
    Full of copper/brass big end bearings defiantly had it
    Just hope it hasn't damaged the crank.
    IMG-20170711-WA0007.jpg

#30 Ben Johnstone, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  11. Oh dear mate that's not good. I'd prepare for the worst, usually when the shells are that bad the crank will have worn but as you said fingers crossed it can be reground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nasty....I had the same on my old bike....:( Fingers crossed the crank is ok.

IMG_0664.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gutting...

14. What year is yr bike?

15. 2007 (57 plate)

16. Not a good year...:(

17. must be a really bad batch or a blind engine builder!

18. I take it you disagree then Mr Pink

19. Always sad to see these types of photos. Fingers crossed that a rebuild is possible with crank etc. Or would a new engine be more economical? I don't know.

20. Oh the memories.... been there got the t shirt.
    And how did that springy exhaust thing get in there! Weird!!
    Ducati John. Good lad. Or MotoRapido if you fancy upgrading performance.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information