1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Not A Good Day

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ben Johnstone, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Sorry to hear your problem Ben
    As mentioned in other posts you have to work out once you have a quote which way you want to go, keep/repair or sale as is,

To all who know a lot more then i ever will on this matter.
    Can it really cost around £4500 parts and labour or is this more so because its a 1098s and would cost more if a 1098R but less if an 848?
    i suppose it depends on crank rebuild or new plays a big part of price? as labour would be the same price.

2. Worth maybe 7k, 2-2500 for another motor, plus hassle..yeah more like 3 IMHO but I don't buy n sell bikes :)

3. IMG_6049.PNG

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. From I've gathered on here, it's usually main bearings that fail on these engines and that is due to having been built with the wrong preload on the bearings. As this is a known problem and someone like Ducati John has the expertise and knowledge to rebuild it with the correct preload and in a sympathetic way with regard to cost, imho, you shouldn't have to worry about shelling out mega money and then get a recurrence.
    Have you eliminated the possibility of it being the outrigger bearing in the alternator cover??

5. I get a bit mixed up here. When you say 'main bearings' do you mean the big end shells or the roller bearings either side of the crank shaft?

6. with the brass/copper coloured shavings that were in the oil strainer its pretty nailed on its the main (shells) that have gone, going to look at some cbr600rr's tomorrow so i can still get to the ring in a few weeks, ill pull the engine out and get it down to john when im back, ill keep the thread updated when we get it apart to assess the damage,

thanks

• Like Like x 2
  7. f*ck me, what a chancer! 2k and needs a new head and god knows what the internals are like if its been impacted that much!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ah yes, sorry, I'd forgotten you'd found those bits in the oil strainer.
    Fingers crossed the crank is ok...

9. Sorry to hear/see what's happened. Hope you get it sorted, whatever your decision may be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. It's the roller main bearings that tend to go.
    I was forgetting that material in the oil pointed to big ends.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Did you get the engine looked at yet OP? Sorry to hear this, but would be a shame to break or sell off a low mileage mint S.

12. Rare as rocking horse :poop: right now, bottom ends. Well, 1198 are, not sure about 1098, hopefully managed to find one :upyeah:

13. Not got round to pulling it out yet, got a ring trip in 3 weeks, which ive managed to pickup a low miler cbr600rr for,
    Ill get it pulled out when im back and take it down to John,

ill update with details and pics when we get it split down.

14. @John Tomlinson had some engine parts, don't know if suitable but may be worth dropping him a line when you know :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. thanks ill get onto him if i need anything

16. Been a while but managed to find the time to pull the engine out and get it down to John,

The damage isnt as bad as expected, the shell on the horizontal cylinder is shot but may have just caught it in time as the crank is only slighty worn (did measure it but cant remember what the specs were) there is no visible lip or scoring that can be felt
    John is going to look into grinding and new shells etc. and see if its possible,
    The rod is visibly worn and will need a replacement though (if anyone knows of any kicking about)
    also if anyone knows of a crank/bottom end i could be interested

Ben

17. Ben, not sure how far you want to go and what your budget limitations are but I have access to a complete but damaged 1098RS engine. Got a bent valve but the 1098R bottom end and rods are fine. I want the gearbox and indexing cam drives but have to buy the whole engine. Thought ? Andy

18. Just realised of course the RS is an 1198 but is that stroke or piston diameter ? Andy

19. Hi Ben, I've got a complete 1098 engine if it's any use.
    Kev.

20. Hi Kev

thanks for the offer, im going to try get this one rebuild as to keep original engine numbers etc..

Thanks again

Do Not Sell My Personal Information