1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not A Job I Would Want

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Arquebus, May 9, 2019.

1. Take a look at what the arrow is pointing at - you will probably need to enlarge the photo.

No way Pedro.jpg

2. Gets you out in the fresh air...….

3. 400,000 volts and he is standing on the cables..........(I suspect they are switched off this time ;))

I have been here for 20 years and never seen that before......

...............they are also using 3 bucket cradles to run backwards and forwards along the cables with one to three men in each.

4. Yeah, I think even super duper special insulated HV gear wouldn't pass the risk assessment o_O

Bet Bear Grylls wouldn't do it either :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. i was in a cafe up in avimore about 15 odd years ago lugging in on a convo going on behind me, a group of men had just been for an intervuiew with the hydro to paint those things. they had all been offered £20ph, they all settled for £25 ph. not a bad wage in the highlands.

6. 15 years ago that would have been close to film stars wages :upyeah: even today it's tradesman level.

Wouldn't fancy it myself - not that keen on heights :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Not a bad wage in the soft south either

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Or maybe do it this way?

FAA82C3B-73D7-4D91-AC37-9BEF6F32C41C.jpeg

5CFD2B3E-1306-4814-B0A0-65D48752A026.jpeg

82F496C4-3D25-4049-A35C-854B681977FC.jpeg

55E49D25-2C63-4C3D-A67A-174DB4DF345F.jpeg

9BC49CA2-1F0C-42D6-B3B1-4AA0CA9572B7.jpeg

C3871D4D-C860-4522-B000-9FEEE80241C0.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. They painted one run of the pylons here about five years ago - I think they will be doing the other run after this maintenance work.

Apparently the painters cover their faces, hands and arms with vaseline which stops the paint from sticking to them (they do splatter it about somewhat).......must a right mess in summer.

Having seen the cradles going along the cables, I was keeping my eyes open for skiers (or Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood).

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. We painted the radar tower at shoeburyness a few years ago ....believe me don’t park a car within 100 metres when painters are high up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gynaecologist - imagine taking the rough with the smooth in that profession :confounded:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. You don't have to tell me that.......I'm bad enough painting the skirting boards, let alone the ceilings.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I knew one that painted his hallway through the letterbox.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. @ previous places of employment (after I left fortunately) had to pay significant sums to employees for remedial works to their vehicles paintwork after high level painting activities :eek:

15. I imagine gynaecology with the painters in is horrendous

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  16. You just put me off my chocolate bar …..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. A Mars bar? Considered by Mick Jagger to be a delicacy when eaten after playing gynaecologist.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Though it was OK as long as you don't ground yourself. :thinkingface:

I've seen the helicopter bods before and I'm sure they were live cables.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information