1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Happy With Carole Nash Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by rxs851, Aug 2, 2017.

1. The legislation clearly states 'to or from a pre-booked MOT' - That means you can take a vehicle to another place for repair as stated below; unless it doesn't meet minium standards for roadworthiness.

I read that as if your tyres are shite you can't take it somewhere to get new ones fitted after it has failed.

If the MOT has run out
    You can’t drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.
    The only exceptions are to drive it:

• to or from somewhere to be repaired
    • to a pre-arranged MOT test
    Driving a vehicle that’s failed
    You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.
    If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

• have the failed defects fixed
    • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
    In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

2. So you cannot take a bike away home that has failed and has no mot. Therefore, the breakdown company were absolutely right that it is not legal to be on the road as it was not being taken elsewhere to fix, but home? :)

3. nope, perfectly legal to take bike or car home or place of repair. (probably VAT reg) assuming not dangerous but many things can be marked as dangerous btw.

4. Like bald tyres; no brakes; faulty steering etc.

I wouldn't want to be driving or riding away from a failed MOT with those issues..........

..........but then, I wouldn't have taken it to MOT with them in the first place........

.........but a lot of t*ts would.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Not looking at the rules quoted above it would seem. Ok for tax, not for mot.

6. dont know the terms and conditions for breakdown cover. but confident i have the correct info for mots

7. I'm only quoting what I and Arbi found via the govt website :upyeah:

I always thought riding to and from was ok. Just seems it is for tax, but an mot failure means (if you have no mot) either book it in somewhere and ride straight there or leave with mot station for repair.

8. Would just like to point out that if it is on a trailer (which the recovery company would be using) then it does not need to be taxed or even insured as it is not on the road!

9. and nor does it need recovery for breaking down, as its already on a trailer ;)

10. My real concern in all of this is what would the situation have been if I had an accident on my way to or from the MOT test - would Carole Nash claim that my insurance was invalid because the bike was not taxed?
    I intend to take this to the Insurance Ombudsman to try and
    get clarification but apparently have to allow Carole Nash 30 days to respond to my complaint before I can do this so it may be quite a while before I can give an update.

11. Legal compliance for insurance and terms and conditions of service are not the same. Even if MOT'd, taxed and insured if the breakdown fella says you are driving/riding something unroadworthy they will refuse service.

You are simply outside of the T&Cs and could have disabled the bike intending to get recovered as the bike was failed and the station refused to allow you to take it because of the failure.

12. Legal compliance for insurance and terms and conditions of service are not the same. Even if MOT'd, taxed and insured if the breakdown fella says you are driving/riding something unroadworthy they will refuse service.

You are simply outside of the T&Cs and could have disabled the bike intending to get recovered as the bike was failed and the station refused to allow you to take it because of the failure.

13. Possible but would have been very easy to check reason for failure on MOT database (main beam filament - not really a safety issue at this time of year)

14. Even if MOT'd, taxed and insured if the breakdown fella says you are driving/riding something unroadworthy they will refuse service.

Summarising; the bike has to be MOT'd, taxed, insured and working perfectly to be recovered. The only time the recovery service will therefore recover you is if you can prove that you don't need them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Welcome to The First Principle of Insurance, Your Introductory Course to Simple Racketeering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Carole Nash Insurance wouldn't give me a sensible quote for my 19 year old Ducati Supersport - almost three times more than I had paid the previous year with another company.

Then within two months I asked them to quote for my relatively new Harley as they are supposed to be The Harley insurers.

Again, their quote was absolute sh*te and twice as much as Bennetts wanted.

Today, I received not only one, but two cards in the post and an email from them.

They reckon if my bike is older than 10 years, they can give me a really good quote.

Bearing in mind they have my email and home addresses, which surely must mean they have my bike and quote history to hand, I wonder why they reckon I might have a bike older than 10years.

17. currently on hold with carol nash right now original quote 414. wait for it wait for it.

18. 329, yah beauty. worth the haggle. :upyeah:

19. Hastings. £235 last year. Renewal quote £167. No haggling required :upyeah:

20. yip, but i am only 21.:innocent: with two bikes and three points. cover for all bikes including breakdown, leather and helmet cover.
    i still think i pay to much. i did say i was on this very forum checking out quotes and couldn't understand why people living down your way where paying less with more bike crime.thats when they agreed to drop the price.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information