1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Notaclue

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Jez998jez, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Hi All, Does anyone know if the 1098/1198 rear wheel will fit my 998? The wheel is a 17"x6" with a bigger hole in the middle and my original is a 17"x5.5". If it does fit can I use my new tyre a:190/17? Or just have to get a new one? Also while I'm at it will the handling change? And if so in what way????? Cheers me dears.

2. 1098/1198 wheel won't fit. 190 fits a 6" rim really well, but they're few and far between for the 916/998's.

3. It will not fit. I think an 848 one will as the hub is smaller

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. 848 will.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ahhh nuts. Thanks for the quick reply. Cheers

6. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, just a shame as I love the seven spoke wheel off the 1098/1198. Just not to be thanks again.

7. Could always swap the swingarm ;)

8. I have some RS/AMA swing-arms MAGNESIUM, New, Painted, better made
    longer, made in USA, better made and sealed, (important) for road use, also have a Imola Aluminium factory arm from a F02, use the corse magnesium eccentric and RS axle, I think can be done
    but not a hundred percent sure the wheel interface/ axle, drive peg pitch circle is the same as 998RS or F02 parts and 1098 but suspect the same
    Would sell the AMA swing arm, but you need exccentric and axle to fit the large axle Corse type wheel sprocket drive flange has larger spline as well

9. Big axle 5/10 spoke race magnesium wheels are largely 16.5" but 17" wheel made for road bikes were sold through DP, along with magnesium swing arms, big axle magnesium eccentrics and, sprocket drive flanges with bigger splines to suit the DP/Corse big axles The AMA swing arm are better cast, finished, sealed and painted than the euro made arms and seem like more corrosion resistant, (magnesium)
    The race arms are a little bit longer, and look like the dimensions of the parts fitted to single side swing-arm models after the 999 when the axle sizes increased after the 998 road bikes;
    look to be the same size as 998RS and F race parts

10. Wow. Mind blowing I now know what I need to do so thanks for your wealth of information. However it looks like what I thought may be a tricky job will turn into an expensive one as I have seen the price of the magnesium swinging arms(the price of a small/older bike).So thank you but as I have a joint bank account I don't think it will go down well with er In doors. Time me thinks to open a single account and start saving. Cheers jez.

11. Ar. Joint bank account. Bet the wife has her own one too, doesn’t she ;)

Mine does : unamused:

12. Ar. Joint bank account. Bet the wife has her own one too, doesn’t she ;)

Mine does : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. You may be able to put the 1098 axle (entire eccentric assembly) into the 998 swingarm as an alternative.
    Not sure if the assembly is the same size or not though, so you'd want to check that first!

As already said, the 848 uses the same axle as the 998, as does the old Multistrada (1000/1100) and also the Hypermotard 1100 and some of the single-sided Monsters (S2R/S4R/etc). You might find a wheel you like in that lot.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. 1098 eccentric wont fit in a 998 arm
    1098 spindle wont fit in a 998 eccentric. Even with bearing change
    You cant turn down on a lathe, a 1098 eccentric to fit a 998 swingarm

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Trick is you got to keep a secret non-joint account with secret funding sources, totally secret???

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thinking? thinking?>> you are right, I am full of sh.. I will find the other parts and include them with the kit, if you PM me I do you the deal of the century? need axle, disk?, sprocket flange, and excentric, axle nuts
    I put big rear axles into my 998R?? no I actually put small DP axles into big eccentrics into Corse mag arms sold so people buying marchesini swing arms could use road wheels 339.JPG 350.JPG

#16 breakout998, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  17. AMA Swing-arm, notice the casting precision, and the paint, water-proof? (wont corrode like some i have seen marchensini)
    think 1098 axle might fit the 998 Corse swing arm and the 848 the 998 standard swing arm, the arm above is the same as a 998RS so got big eccentric for big axle

18. 2nd dibs on the deal of the century :innocent:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I remember making a sleeve for a 998 eccentric to fit it in a corse mag arm. They could use std 998 axle/stud pattern with a wider road 998 mag wheel.

It was for crankers bike. There is a build thread on here somewhere

20. Think he asked for his profile, and posts, to be deleted when he was last expelled.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information