1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing rude, but what skill do you wish you had?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Katie, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I believe 12s/6d is sixty two and a half pence

I have nothing better to do other than be pedantic.

2. be able to play a musical instument....or draw/paint

3. You're right Greyman....It must be the 'old timers':upyeah: Still it was good value..... 'I think that all kids should learn to weld'...Quote ..James May..

4. Like Gillan says I would like to be able to weld... and like Gillan can.... paint! these things are not impossible, one can learn to do just about anything really, I mean I learned to fly planes and I have a fear of heights!!...note though that I said just about..not everything obviously! I couldnt learn to do brain surgery... purely because no one would actually teach me at my age...but I bet I could learn to do it. Mind you at my age now the eyesight is failing and the hands arent as steady as they once were.

The problem with learning to weld, paint draw or even cook is that we wont commit the time to do it...or dont have the patience we once had to learn! I know a fella on another forum who built a replica of Tony Rutter's Pat Slinn built racing Pantah... a very very good replica...he learnt to weld and paint it whilst building it..and it is very very good Pat Slin himself has seen it in the flesh and remarked how good it was...the fella in question is now learning to use a lathe for his new project and I bet he will turn out some quality items on it.

He obviously has the time and more importantly the patience and in the case of his bikes a lack of fear of screwing it up!..or perhaps the fear of screwing it up has helped him to do it properly! I want to learn to weld...but if I do I want to weld very good very quickly.... no patience see!

5. Welding per se (MIG) is, a piece of p***, I'm not joking when I say, anyone can do it with a modicum of practice. Gas though, ahh, that's a different bucket of trout. More a black art. 12s/6d! That's good value to learn a black art. :wink: I remember a phrase from when I was kid. A contemporary in a cake shop asked; "How much are your 3d doughnuts?" I'll never forget that.

6. What are 3d donuts? A d is a penny isn't it? Why was it not a p? I am not trying to be facetious, I really would like to know. I do not understand old money at all, I was just too young, born in 1967.

7. It comes from the Roman coin, denarius.

8. Huh! what have the Romans ever done for us?

9. They built the aquaduct

10. Now i am quite a hands on type of person, a self employed joiner, can weld with both gas and mig, pretty handy with the spanners, played solo cornet in the local brass band for 10 years, fly remote control planes and hellies poorly, but i would love to be able to do this. Charlie Cave in the Zone at Weston Park 2011 - YouTube :upyeah:

11. Sorry for the thread hi-jack here but there are some important questions to be answered...Namely---why were there 12d in a shilling...I remember the teacher asking me what 14d was , & I said 1s/4d :rolleyes:

12. Cos there were 240 to the pound...

13. And there's sanitation

14. I guess the Romans also promoted fast food...Ocelot Tongues and Badgers nipples! :biggrin:

15. ooh ooh i want one

16. I wish I was invisible at will or could move through walls that would be useful , dealing with bent politicians , thugs or banks would be a wizz then .

17. And the roads

18. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads, what have the Romans ever done for us?

19. Language, Law, Democracy, politicians, cement/concrete, .....plus much more, so nothing really.

20. And the wine i think we would all miss the wine

Do Not Sell My Personal Information