1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by XH558, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Lets be fucking serious for a moment, it took major devastating fires for super markets to fit. Wet riser or dry riser hydrant systems because of huge insurance payouts. And a few deaths along the way. Why the hell haven't churches got systems fitted so that these historical sites get a chance of been saved.

A fire is discovered; the fire engine arrives & connects to the dry/wet riser system to over-whelm the fire. And if needed requests new water pumps arrive to take over.. repeat & rinse.

But obviously someone will moan the pipework would ruin the looks. Well, here we have yet another total annihilation of a site where nothing will change once its rebuilt. The same was going to happen the UK national motorcycle museum. As the owner refused to place a fire hydrant system into the site. So people refused to replenish the burnt out facility with mostly one off bikes if it wasn't done. It got added and implemented....

#21 GunZenBomZ, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. It woz the Lunchpack wot dunnit.

3. Salma Hayek's husband just donated 100 million towards the rebuild.

Absolutely feel lucky to have seen it with my wife last year. Iconic and irreplaceable, as much as you can rebuild a structure you can't rebuild history. Putting some new rocks out in the same shape doesn't make it Stonehenge.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Im off to paris end of next week.
    This was on my list to visit

5. History is constant decay and rebuilding.

You mention Stonehenge: spot the changes since 1906. https://www.english-heritage.org.uk...istory-and-stories/first-world-war-aerodrome/

HMS Victory is also iconic, but very few of the current wooden bits sailed with Admiral Lord Nelson.

https://www.hms-victory.com/restoration-log/original-significant-or-both

#25 Darkness, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. But leaving it a burnt out wreck isn’t an option.
    Speaking of building history, the Sagrada Familia should be finished soon!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Not in my lifetime. Barcelona recently decided that the Segrada has never had the correct licence and the charity set up to fund the build had to fork something like 50 million euros. Andy

8. Planned completion date is 2026, seven years from now, where you off to then?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Still pretty sad, but as We are still in the EU, I guess we will be forced to give them millions to re-build it :(

10. A friend of ours was in Paris running the marathon and sent us this picture yesterday afternoon. She said she was disappointed the scaffolding was there !

FCCF3D26-3999-43F8-BC3E-7F51291ECA35.jpeg

11. Did your friend smoke :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. The whole of the building outside won't be original - much of York Minster has been refreshed on the outside in my life time - it also experienced a similar fire but our fire fighters were quicker and only 1/4 went up (and York Minster is much bigger and more iconic than the little Frenchie chapel o_O)

Just heard the Rose Windows are OK at Notre Dame and the interior is pretty much unscathed below the vaulted ceiling!

Here's York - lightening bolt got it... not many photo's in them days ore mobile and digital :eyes:

Fire.jpg _45971670_003_450x300.jpg firemen-survey-the-fire-damage.jpg

13. Our Rose Window got it bad - buy was repaired in a few years: this is a view from inside!

_76104807_minster2.jpg

14. Having worked with many Church's I can confidently say that lack of funds (at a local level) and geological timescale management decisions are the main issue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Oh good.... I'll stop my funding page now, didn't know we'd be paying for it anyway!

16. [​IMG]

17. [​IMG]
    he's coming back

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. They said on the news this morning Jesus's crown of thorns was safe - wtf, they have Jesus's crown in there :joy:
    I bet they won't have it carbon dated :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. index.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information